• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central stranding passengers (28/03)?

Ken_Ilworth

Resurrecting a moderately-aged thread.... but they have truly shown how they will handle the situation tonight with this tweet/X:

The text in the attached screenshot of a tweet from Grand Central states:
"Cancelled: Our 19:27 London Kings Cross-Sunderland service has been cancelled.
Ticket acceptance has not been agreed with other operators due to high loadings. Please purchase a ticket for other operators and claim a refund from your point of purchase for your Grand Central one."

IMG_20240328_203159.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Resurrecting a moderately-aged thread.... but they have truly shown how they will handle the situation tonight with this tweet/X:

Ticket acceptance has not been agreed with other operators due to high loadings. Please purchase a ticket for other operators and claim a refund from your point of purchase for your Grand Central one."

View attachment 155319
That’s ludicrous. If anything, they should be refunding the cost of the new ticket!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

View attachment 155319
And refunding the ticket will helpfully make it so that they don't have to pay for the new ticket (which they should do!)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I noticed this tweet from Grand Central this evening at 2025:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 202725.png

(Cancelled: Our 19:27 London Kings Cross-Sunderland service has been cancelled. Ticket acceptance has not been agreed with other operators due to high loadings. Please purchase a ticket for other operators and claim a refund from your point of purchase for your Grand Central one.)

Now, putting to one side the issue with this now typical "refund and buy a new ticket even though that might leave you fantastically out of pocket" advice which I think is highly dubious on its own terms, with GC announcing this at 2025 they've effectively stranded passengers for stations other than Northallerton and York as there are no rail connections for Thirsk, Eaglescliffe, Hartlepool or Sunderland off the next available LNER at 2100. Those passengers getting the 2100 also assumes that they're savvy enough to ignore the LNER ticket site that denies it exists and other journey planners that are variously saying that there are no tickets at all or only 1st class ticket remain when a Super Off-Peak Single would valid. Otherwise they're on the 2200 with connections even more in the rear view mirror.

I know GC have form for treating passengers poorly during disruption but this seems incredibly poor even by their low standards! The only thing I can assume is that GC perhaps announced this earlier but it only made it onto Twitter later. But even then unless they announced it in time for the 2000 it won't make a difference.

Darandio

Established Member
Is it just me or have they also made that particular tweet so nobody can reply?

Darandio

Established Member
I see quite a few people have asked them if any alternative tickets they need to purchase will be refunded. They are answering no as usual.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now they've tweeted at 2053 they've got acceptance on the 2200 LNER but that still raises the question of what if you want a station other than York and Thirsk (the tweet is silent on this) and what about those people who, in the intervening half an hour, followed the advice and refunded their original ticket and bought expensive new ones? Or you can travel tomorrow on your existing GC ticket but then says nothing about who is forking out for the hotel at zero notice.

Honestly this is a spectacularly poor.

TUC

Established Member
Now they've tweeted at 2053 they've got acceptance on the 2200 LNER but that still raises the question of what if you want a station other than York and Thirsk (the tweet is silent on this) and what about those people who, in the intervening half an hour, followed the advice and refunded their original ticket and bought expensive new ones? Or you can travel tomorrow on your existing GC ticket but then says nothing about who is forking out for the hotel at zero notice.

Honestly this is a spectacularly poor.
Also, surely they should be refunding passengers for the additional costs of walk-up LNER tickets, not just the cost of the Grand Central one?

pennine

If they're unable to offer alternative transportation, shouldn't they provide overnight lodging? It's concerning that a passenger has agreed to a contract that hasn't been honored; there's no justification for them to incur expenses due to the service provider's failure.

Alex C.

If they're unable to offer alternative transportation, shouldn't they provide overnight lodging? It's concerning that a passenger has agreed to a contract that hasn't been honored; there's no justification for them to incur expenses due to the service provider's failure.
Yes - and if you have the patience and ability to pay out of your own pocket, then chase them up, then send them a letter of claim and potentially actually issue a court case against them, I have no doubt they would pay up because it's not a case of them not understanding their legal obligations, they choose to make their front line staff ignore them.

They bank on the fact that most people will give up and take the financial hit.

Established Member
Truly shocking. Regardless of any magic exemption from following the rules proper TOCs have to follow, this kind of situation begs the question should Open Access tocs be allowed to run operate at all in the UK? I've seen more trustworthy rail operations in northern africa than them.

HurdyGurdy

Before banking on that, they bank on the fact that most people will simply follow instructions given on Twitter (X) and claim a refund for the unused GC ticket. Once it's refunded "because the customer chose not to travel" any claim for expenses incurred can be batted away by GC.

The regulator should be coming down hard on any operator which misleads its customers like this. The ORR goes to some lengths to assure itself that an OA operation doesn't unfairly affect other operators. They should be acting just as diligently in assuring themselves that OA operators aren't behaving unfairly towards their customers.

TUC

Established Member
Evrn though it would have led to a crowded train, would they not have been better to advise passengers to use the 1948 Bradford Interchange service as far as Doncaster? There would have been a better chance of getting ticket acceptance from LNER (and also Cross Country) there as loadings would have started to lighten?

Towers

Established Member
Truly shocking. Regardless of any magic exemption from following the rules proper TOCs have to follow, this kind of situation begs the question should Open Access tocs be allowed to run operate at all in the UK? I've seen more trustworthy rail operations in northern africa than them.
It was an unpopular opinion when I recently suggested elsewhere here that the value to the railway of some Open Access efforts might be questionable; my money would be going with the proper TOC every time though. Running a railway is a difficult job and best done by professionals who accept and abide by the rules by which they are bound. Leave the cowboy tactics to dodgy builders.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
It was an unpopular opinion when I recently suggested elsewhere here that the value to the railway of some Open Access efforts might be questionable; my money would be going with the proper TOC every time though. Running a railway is a difficult job and best done by professionals who accept and abide by the rules by which they are bound. Leave the cowboy tactics to dodgy builders.
Arriva and First aren't exactly new to the Railway though are they?

I am not sure that this is solely an Open Access problem. I was given the same advice by station staff at King's Cross when my LNER train to Bradford Forster Square was cancelled, and LNER is a "proper TOC".

It's very annoying. I really  want to like Grand Central because they have direct trains from London to Bradford, a route I need and want to use that for years has bee largely ignored by the franchised operators (with the exception of a token couple of LNERs extended from Leeds into Forster Square), but they don't make it easy with this type of approach towards passengers!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The ORR goes to some lengths to assure itself that an OA operation doesn't unfairly affect other operators. They should be acting just as diligently in assuring themselves that OA operators aren't behaving unfairly towards their customers.

There's clearly no one looking out for the interests of passengers these days. The powers that be are primarily interested in fleecing them.

Ten years ago I'd have been a lot more confident with the railway carrying out its obligation to get you home. Nowadays it seems more and more like the wild west.

Class800

Established Member
Yes - and if you have the patience and ability to pay out of your own pocket, then chase them up, then send them a letter of claim and potentially actually issue a court case against them, I have no doubt they would pay up because it's not a case of them not understanding their legal obligations, they choose to make their front line staff ignore them.

Is there anything that says that they must provide alternative arrangements? I thought it was cleverly couched in terms of "if possible" - and the TOC could decide readily it isn't 'possible'

robbeech

Established Member
Also, surely they should be refunding passengers for the additional costs of walk-up LNER tickets, not just the cost of the Grand Central one?
Yes, they’re legally obliged, but they don’t.
Yes, they’re legally obliged, but they don’t.
They’ve learnt from the best here. This is a standard UK Railway tactic, make everything difficult and tedious. Over the years the railway as a whole will have saved hundreds of millions of pounds that is not rightly theirs through this.

I've seen more trustworthy rail operations in northern africa than them.
More reliable too.
Arriva and First aren't exactly new to the Railway though are they?
No, they’ve had years to practise this kind of behaviour.
I am not sure that this is solely an Open Access problem. I was given the same advice by station staff at King's Cross when my LNER train to Bradford Forster Square was cancelled, and LNER is a "proper TOC".
Indeed, this is something the railway is famous for. Making up rules that are more restrictive than the real ones for financial gain or to reduce financial losses.

General thoughts.
This IS the railway. Absolutely nothing will come of this because the railway does what it wants. There are so many different bodies within the industry that each have a tiny bit of a say in how things operate that when it comes down to enforcing rules on an operator (be them a regular TOC or an open access operator) nobody really seems to know who it should be or how it should be done. As a result of this, nobody says anything or does anything.

You have Transport Focus, the RDG, the Rail Ombudsman, the DfT, the ORR, the RSSB, the UK Government themselves. Then you have documentation like the NRCOT, the specific passenger charter from an operator, the TSA the PRO, the regulation of railways act, the penalty fare regulations and countless more.

All this just ensures that nothing ever gets done. Any of the bodies listed will bounce a complaint to another until it goes away. As a rail operator you really can completely ignore any passenger transit based rules wherever and whenever you want and in almost all cases absolutely nothing will happen. When things kick off, just pay the passenger off and the problem goes away. Rinse and repeat.

In this instance the following things are likely.

Those passengers that have seen the first message will have refunded their tickets. Many of them will not have been able to find the hidden, complicated method of refunding during disruption without fee so a good chunk will incur a £10 admin fee for doing this, whilst some will fight this and get it back, many will just put it down to the railway being ****.

They will then purchase a new open ticket. This is quite likely to be several times the price of their original one. Those who plan to go via Newcastle will be stung for nearly £200 a piece.
Some people might buy anytimes to their destination as they might not have time to go into the complexity of peak restrictions or might not know any different. Similarly the machine may offer this first.

The real kick in the teeth comes when GC take a small chunk of a London to York through ORCATS.

These people will then be stranded further up the line and given the train they’re on with the ticket they hold and the time they bought the ticket there will be no help from station staff to get them home as the 28.2 in the NRCOT doesn’t apply if there is no disruption.
But what about their original itinerary I hear you cry? For what ticket? They don’t have a GC ticket as they refunded it, the contract ends at that point, GC hold zero responsibility for them.

For those who were lucky enough to ignore or not see the first message they’ll get the LNER train where from experience there will be a 50/50 chance that the guard has been informed (or chooses to adhere to) the ticket acceptance in place. They may have to buy a new ticket anyway. If they’re lucky then station staff at the interchange point MAY put them in a taxi, although there’s a significant risk that staff at York would bounce passengers back to GC to solve the problem, of course by this time of night everyone from GC will be tucked up in bed with remarkably well wiped hands.

For those that were to use their tickets the following day, GC will not entertain the idea of paying for hotels nor reimbursing for them. This doesn’t matter if they’re legally obliged or not, they just won’t, at least until they’re sent legal papers.

I understand the current need for open access operators but unfortunately I remain of the opinion that they cannot afford to operate within the rules and regulations on the railway during disruption (caused by themselves or others).

This simple incident, despite eventually obtaining some ticket acceptance will leave passengers potentially hundreds of pounds out of pocket with very little chance of recovering any of it unless they happen to have more knowledge about the rules than the people at GC themselves.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The ORR should be on GC like a tonne of bricks, but they seem to have almost no interest whatsoever in their role as enforcement authority in relation to consumer matters. It's very disappointing but I suppose not hugely surprising given the history of weak, light-touch regulation in the UK.

Is there anything that says that they must provide alternative arrangements? I thought it was cleverly couched in terms of "if possible" - and the TOC could decide readily it isn't 'possible'
Condition 28.2 of the NRCoT says:
... any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary, provide overnight accommodation for you.

Clearly, Grand Central could reasonably have arranged alternative travel on LNER by buying Super Off-Peak Singles for affected passengers. Equally, I have no doubt there would have been hotel rooms available.

The fact they'd rather fob passengers off and save the money is neither here nor there and has no bearing on their obligations.

Article 18(2) of the PRO contains a similar obligation:
(2) In the case of any delay as referred to in paragraph 1 of more than 60 minutes, passengers shall also be offered free of charge:
(b) hotel or other accommodation, and transport between the railway station and place of accommodation, in cases where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary or an additional stay becomes necessary, where and when physically possible;

And this makes it even clearer (if there were any doubt) that the cost of providing these rights is not a factor that can be considered. It is purely about the physical possibility of arranging the assistance.

HurdyGurdy

I understand the current need for open access operators but unfortunately I remain of the opinion that they cannot afford to operate within the rules and regulations on the railway during disruption (caused by themselves or others).

Perhaps they can afford to operate. As long as they can shirk their contractual obligations towards their customers in times of disruption, by feeding them incorrect information about their rights, and the majority of customers play ball by either not knowing what rights they have, or not bothering to make a claim for any costs to which they are entitled.

This simple incident, despite eventually obtaining some ticket acceptance will leave passengers potentially hundreds of pounds out of pocket with very little chance of recovering any of it unless they happen to have more knowledge about the rules than the people at GC themselves.

Making the same point again, if they are out of pocket and it's GC's fault, they should make a claim. Failing to know what you're entitled to, or being too lazy to make a claim plays right into the hands of outfits like GC.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying, it's clearer than I thought. There are some TOCs who are brilliant at ensuring this is followed, and others less so

robbeech

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying, it's clearer than I thought. There are some TOCs who are brilliant at ensuring this is followed, and others less so
I would suggest it’s more accurate to say “There are some STAFF who are brilliant at ensuring this is followed” as I’m fairly sure that on the whole there aren’t any operators that WANT to follow their obligations, but differences in training cause the differences in results.

LowLevel

Established Member
I found an interesting approach to this issue adopted by National Express coaches of all people which if you ask me would resolve the problem immediately in compliance with the regulations provided you stocked them at hub stations and that is rail warrants.

I recently worked a train from a city station (booking office was closed) and was met with a number of people clutching rail warrants issued by National Express Coaches for a fairly long distance journey. On enquiring what had happened it turned out a coach was heavily delayed and missed the connecting coach to their eventual destination, so rather than wait overnight they'd just made out rail warrants for the train journey.

A matter of seconds per person for me to issue them all with valid rail tickets directly charged to the transport operator, no faffing about with cards or refunds or whatever.

For the open access operators in particular this would seem to be a no brainer to resolve the issue, provided the use of their warrants was authorised by their control if necessary with a nominated representative from whichever staff are available at the station (their own at King's Cross, others elsewhere) to issue them.

It's not perfect but it's got to be better than the current mess.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Perhaps they can afford to operate. As long as they can shirk their contractual obligations towards their customers in times of disruption, by feeding them incorrect information about their rights, and the majority of customers play ball by either not knowing what rights they have, or not bothering to make a claim for any costs to which they are entitled.
It's very easy to generalise about open access operators but we should be clear that this is a Grand Central issue specifically and note that Hull Trains do not seem to have the same problems and cavalier attitude to their customers.

HurdyGurdy

For the open access operators in particular this would seem to be a no brainer to resolve the issue, provided the use of their warrants was authorised by their control if necessary with a nominated representative from whichever staff are available at the station (their own at King's Cross, others elsewhere) to issue them.

As has been said, in this instance where ticket acceptance with another operator was not immediately in place, GC could have simply purchased tickets for their stranded customers, but didn't. I suspect that is down to the cash GC would have to outlay, not the lack of a ready mechanism for obtaining a ticket.

It's very easy to generalise about open access operators but we should be clear that this is a Grand Central issue specifically and note that Hull Trains do not seem to have the same problems and cavalier attitude to their customers.

I was actually generalising about all operators, not just open access ones and it's clear some are far worse than others when it comes to giving appropriate advice when there's disruption to services. My point is that where operators of any species play fast and loose with their obligations, they are greatly aided by customers who either don't know about their rights or even if they do, won't make a claim when they're entitled to have costs reimbursed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The ORR should be on GC like a tonne of bricks, but they seem to have almost no interest whatsoever in their role as enforcement authority in relation to consumer matters. It's very disappointing but I suppose not hugely surprising given the history of weak, light-touch regulation in the UK.

Too busy throthing over slam doors and third rails presumably.