• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Hexagonal Railway Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Alright, so the title is a bit of a rip-off perhaps but it was the best I could come up with :lol:

Anyway down to business. I have created this thread I hope to post about journeys I make by rail, both in the UK and abroad. I plan to include a description of the stock I have travelled on, some places of interest I've visited and my views and opinions of the rail journey and any sights. To be accompanied with, hopefully, plenty of photos.

Hope you enjoy! :)

(The first report should be of my trip to Luxembourg last October).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There will be a few railway journeys in this thread (I promise!) but like Portillo, I also enjoy visiting the sights.

One of the most notable features of the city of Luxembourg are the Bock Casemates, these were once part of the Fortress of Luxembourg but today consist of the ruins of the castle and a system of passageways and galleries in the cliff which provide superb views over the city and surrounding countryside.

20171005_120108.jpg

View out from The Bock, the viaduct in the background carries the main North-South railway line from Luxembourg City station (out of shot to the right) up through Ettelbruck and Clervaux to Troisvierges and over the border into Belgium.

From the galleries of the Bock you can look out along the cliff towards the Old Town:

20171005_115348.jpg

As you can see it's fairly high up, and the valley floor is a good few feet down!

One of the prominent landmarks of the Old Town is the Grand Ducal Palace attached to which is the Chamber of Deputies, the Luxembourgish Parliament.

20171005_130219.jpg

Moving into the 'New Town' so to speak is Luxembourg Central station. Luxembourg itself has a small but interesting network consisting of a main North-South line from Luxembourg north eventually to Liege as mentioned, a line west to Esch and into France, a line south to Bettembourg and a line east to Wasserbillig and on to Trier and Koblenz in Germany, plus a few branches here and there. A day ticket for the entire network costs just Two Euros or Four Euros in First and is also valid on the buses.

There are 3 classes of EMUs (the entire passenger network is electrified), the Class 2000 a fleet of 22 2-car single deck EMUs based on the SNCF Z2 design. They were built in 1990-1992 and have a top speed of 160 km/h and seat 24 First and 140 Second. The 2200 Class is a fleet of 22 3-car double deck EMUs based on the SNCF Z 26500 Class, built between 2004-06 and 2009-10 they have a top speed of 160 km/h and sometimes work through to Metz in France alongside the similar SNCF units. The Class 2300 were built specifically for the Luxembourg-Wasserbillig-Koblenz service and rarely stray from this route. They are derived from the Stadler Kiss family being 3-car double-deck units capable of 160 km/h. Finally CFL (The National rail operator) also employ a fleet of Dosto double-deck push-pull sets of 3 to 5 coaches with either Class 3000 or 4000 locomotives.

This is the foyer of Luxembourg Central with the departures board and a very colourful piece of stained glass above:

20171006_100811.jpg

Now a selection of images of actual trains! Firstly a TGV Duplex awaiting its departure on the 10:10 to Paris Est:

20171006_101041.jpg

Meanwhile a Class 2000 sits in the next platform:

20171006_101043.jpg

I travelled on the 10:24 to Diekirch (pronounced Dee-keersh), formed of a 3-car Class 2200. The journey follows the main line north to Ettelbruck where the Diekirch branch diverges. The journey takes about 55 minutes or so stopping at all stations. The acceleration is impressive but the drivers seem to brake very hard resulting in somewhat bumpy stops! My Class 2200 departs from Diekrich on it's return to Luxembourg:

20171006_112156.jpg

Next I travelled by bus (sadly the line is long gone) to the town of Vianden, where Victor Hugo once resided in exile. The town is dominated by the castle which towers over Vianden from above:

20171006_120822.jpg

The view down over the town and hills is equally impressive:

20171006_140913.jpg

Part Two coming up:

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Part Two:

Returning to Diekirch, there is a small car museum with a selection of beautifully kept old cars as well as objects such as model cars, fuel pumps, toolkits and more. Here's a small selection of some of the cars:

20171006_152018.jpg

20171006_152036.jpg

20171006_152641.jpg

Then it was back to the railway station for the train back to Luxembourg. Outside the station is this nice little train-themed sculpture:

20171006_111123.jpg

The return service was this time formed of a Class 3000 locomotive with a 3-car Dosto push-pull set. The branch line is single track and has a limit of 80 km/h, while south from Ettelbruck the mainline varies between single and double track with a maximum of 110-120 km/h in places.

Finally before flying back home the next day, there was just time for a very nice hot chocolate for breakfast:

20171008_125904(2).jpg

Not a bad little trip in all. The countryside is very beautiful in places and the rolling hills remind me of Perthshire. Anyway, that's it for now, I hope you enjoyed my report. Until the next time...:)

Last edited:

Requeststop

Nice report. I love Vianden, though it's quite a few years since I was last there. A great shame there is no rail link but there is the cable car.A wander around the chateau is very rewarding. Down in the village, there is a lovely café with a conservatory, where you get a very decent view of the chateau and an even better local Au-de-vie, with a decent coffee and slice of gateau. A really excellent way to enjoy an afternoon. Thanks for the memories

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Nice report. I love Vianden, though it's quite a few years since I was last there. A great shame there is no rail link but there is the cable car.A wander around the chateau is very rewarding. Down in the village, there is a lovely café with a conservatory, where you get a very decent view of the chateau and an even better local Au-de-vie, with a decent coffee and slice of gateau. A really excellent way to enjoy an afternoon. Thanks for the memories

I definitely feel Vianden could do with being re-connected but whether that will ever happen.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and your very welcome. I was hoping to provide a 'flavour' of what places are like in my reports so it's nice to here that memories are being re-awoken :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As I am unlikely to make any significant trips until at least April/May now (any trips in the interim will be unplanned), I thought I'd start some reviews of various trains I have ridden.

These will consist of a brief description of the train, what kind consider to be it' good and bad points and an overall 'score' out of 100 based on 10 criteria.

First review will hopefully be tomorrow, hope you enjoy! :)

Established Member
Luxembourg is a country I've never visited, although it is one of the potential places Mrs 13 and I have discussed for a big European jaunt we plan when I retire in 2022.
Your report has just moved it to the top of my list :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Luxembourg is a country I've never visited, although it is one of the potential places Mrs 13 and I have discussed for a big European jaunt we plan when I retire in 2022.
Your report has just moved it to the top of my list :)

Thank you for the compliment! :)

If you do go, it may be worthwhile buying a Luxembourg Pass, these are valid for entry to all museums and sights in the Duchy and include bus and Second Class rail travel. They come in one, two and three day varieties. Otherwise a ticket for bus and train travel throughout the Duchy is €2 for 2 hours or €4 for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.