• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SEtrains

Class15

On Moderation
The next move will be on Monday, 2 units to Hornsey and 2 units back to Worksop. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K09216/2024-05-27/detailed
why are they sending units back?!

OneOfThe48

So why drag them South and then send them back again. Seems like they are they on sale or return!!
Appears like they are inspecting all the units at Hornsey, likely due to the reports of rust or heavier maintenance required before they are able to enter service for training etc

Snow1964

Established Member
Appears like they are inspecting all the units at Hornsey, likely due to the reports of rust or heavier maintenance required before they are able to enter service for training etc
So if some are moving to Worksop, is this where the rust treatment or maintenance will be done, or is it just a holding location and need to be moved twice more, once to maintenance location, and second to GTR territory.

I might be missing something, but if only going for inspection, is it not easier to take a car full of inspectors to the train, rather than move train to inspectors and back again.

brad465

Established Member
Is the plan to still have the 379s in service with GN from December? The way things are going regarding unit condition it's looking less likely this can be achieved.

03_179

Established Member
So if some are moving to Worksop, is this where the rust treatment or maintenance will be done, or is it just a holding location and need to be moved twice more, once to maintenance location, and second to GTR territory.

I might be missing something, but if only going for inspection, is it not easier to take a car full of inspectors to the train, rather than move train to inspectors and back again.
No.
Inspection, assessment.
It's not easier to take "a car full of engineers". They need their kit and equipment.
Is the plan to still have the 379s in service with GN from December? The way things are going regarding unit condition it's looking less likely this can be achieved.
Some of the 379s in service if accepted.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No.
Inspection, assessment.
It's not easier to take "a car full of engineers". They need their kit and equipment.
Not to mention they will have all the other units (717, 387) at Hornsey to busy themselves with as well.

Hornsey only being so big means that many units that are ready will have to be parked up somewhere. Might as well go back with the otherwise light loco ?.

But I suspect Worksop or where ever the leasing company prefers will eventually be contracted by the leasing company to do any rectification work. Not the business of a running depot like Hornsey ?.
I suppose it is likely that the 379s in better condition will get into service first ?.

jon0844

Veteran Member
One must hope that not all the seats are covered in mould!

Hopefully some of the units will require relatively little work, and any cascades could be done gradually once the driver training process is underway. It wouldn't need a wait for a timetable change as surely they're (more or less) interchangeable and the timings will be the same?

bramling

Veteran Member
One must hope that not all the seats are covered in mould!

Hopefully some of the units will require relatively little work, and any cascades could be done gradually once the driver training process is underway. It wouldn't need a wait for a timetable change as surely they're (more or less) interchangeable and the timings will be the same?

There are enough diagrams in the June timetable that runs as pairs all day. I haven’t looked to see whether they’ve actually done this in a way which balances things were some of them to change to 379s, but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to achieve with a small number of tweaks at the most.

GTR have plenty of experience of doing this with the various stock changes over the years, and to be fair it’s one thing they’ve generally done very seamlessly.

So we just need a few trains that aren’t mouldy!

Magdalia

Established Member
There are enough diagrams in the June timetable that runs as pairs all day. I haven’t looked to see whether they’ve actually done this in a way which balances things were some of them to change to 379s, but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to achieve with a small number of tweaks at the most.

GTR have plenty of experience of doing this with the various stock changes over the years, and to be fair it’s one thing they’ve generally done very seamlessly.

So we just need a few trains that aren’t mouldy!
I agree that GN have done stock changes very well in the past, but there are differences now that make it more of a challenge.

For the units, devising separate cycles for class 379/387 that get enough units of both types back to Hornsey for maintenance will be difficult There are fewer diagrams doing ecs moves on and off Hornsey between the peaks than in the past, and some are portions of 12 car trains dividing/joining at Kings Cross.

Trains booked for class 379s will need traincrew passed out on class 379s to drive them. That could be an issue, especially having trained drivers at all of the relevant depots for diagrams that combine the fast Fenland services with the stoppers.

bramling

Veteran Member
I agree that GN have done stock changes very well in the past, but there are differences now that make it more of a challenge.

For the units, devising separate cycles for class 379/387 that get enough units of both types back to Hornsey for maintenance will be difficult There are fewer diagrams doing ecs moves on and off Hornsey between the peaks than in the past, and some are portions of 12 car trains dividing/joining at Kings Cross.

Trains booked for class 379s will need traincrew passed out on class 379s to drive them. That could be an issue, especially having trained drivers at all of the relevant depots for diagrams that combine the fast Fenland services with the stoppers.

I guess one way to achieve it might be to put 8/379 on the Peterborough peak service which is being restored next month, which would then release 8/700. That either restores 700/0 utilisation to the current timetable levels, or allows 8/700 to replace 8/387 somewhere.

One wonders whether it might be worth a very small bet that the first GN 379 use will be on the Peterborough route?

Fincra5

Established Member
No. The working plan is to have a few in service for peak diagrams. KGX-PBO.

The units need a deep clean inside and some modification works. Outside... well thats down to Fleet to decide.
I've no idea where work is being carried out but that will be down to the ROSCO.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I can imagine that there will e a few spare units while the transition goes on. So some of the clever splitting and joining might not need to happen if there are spare units to fill the gaps.

Fincra5

Established Member
I can imagine that there will e a few spare units while the transition goes on. So some of the clever splitting and joining might not need to happen if there are spare units to fill the gaps.
I imagine they'll be set-sets for a while until the squadron is in.

Class 170101

Established Member
I see at Welwyn Garden City (Platform 3) - The 379 stickers are appearing. You may note 379 / 387 on things like stopping points and ramps.
One would have thought that a brief would be sufficient for the Class 379s rather than changing all the stop boards?

aftv

brad465

Established Member
No.
Inspection, assessment.

Presumably then any unit cascade of 387s, etc. will not happen until next year if most of the 379s are not in service in December.

physics34

Established Member
Presumably then any unit cascade of 387s, etc. will not happen until next year if most of the 379s are not in service in December.
Im sure some will come down. Maybe the cascade of 377s to SE will be held up. An increase in service on southern is still on the cards in December

Chriso

Are these been refurbished or at least refreshed before returning to service or at least replacing all the broken buttons?