• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern off peak return restrictions into KGX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Hi all, long time no post! Want some help on the above.

I'm trying to book an off-peak return from "Zone D" (Foxton) to Heathrow Underground with a Network Railcard. I intend to the 16.33 FXN-KGX on Thursday March 26th, and likely the 18.44 KGX-FXN on Monday March 30th.

NRE and the Trainline will offer the OPR ticket with a 5J restriction, valid on any train southbound and any train outside of 17.30-18.30 northbound.

a4mu0.jpg

The return restrictions detailed on Great Northern's website are clear (any time ex-KGX except 1730-1830) which is fine, but the outbound is where I have a problem. The mixing deck won't allow me to select the 16.05 (Arr 17.20) or 16.33 (arr 17.35) and wants me to buy an Anytime Return for about a fiver more.

kbwvpz.jpg

HOWEVER if I try to buy through GN from NRE it will allow the ticket to be purchased with those trains specified:

ndu42x.jpg

I don't believe that the ticket restrictions or their own additional rules should prohibit the use of these two services outward with an off peak return.

So who is right? I know this is a walk-up ticket but I am sufficiently concerned that without an itinerary printed out from a GN purchase, I am liable to being excessed/PF'ed. GN's own website states:

Travelling on an Off-Peak (formerly Saver) ticket

Both outward and return portions of this ticket are not valid for journeys which depart Moorgate, Kings Cross or St Pancras International (including pass throughs) between 17:30 and 18:30 Monday to Friday.

Exceptions

The Off-Peak restrictions detailed above don’t apply when you travel:

From Zone A (South)
Just within Zones A, B and C
Just within Zones C, D and E (Rural)
To Zone E
On any Southbound train

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The ticket should be valid as proposed. I would be very surprised if you get hassle heading into London in the afternoon.

Bring a print-out of the restriction text with you for peace of mind.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The ticket should be valid as proposed. I would be very surprised if you get hassle heading into London in the afternoon.

Bring a print-out of the restriction text with you for peace of mind.

Thanks. Dishonest selling from GN, in my opinion. I'll buy the OPR from them so I have an itinerary issued by them, even if I don't feel they deserve the revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.