• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought I would start a thread that could go on for many years, this what I saw on two trips, one to Oxford today and another to Cardiff about four weeks ago.

East of Reading Station there are around 30 OHL masts erected including several portal structures.

The northern half of Reading station has also a few portal structures.

The new train maintenance depot to the northwest of Reading station is about 50% wired with a single contact wire and all the other OHL structures are up.

Between Reading and Didcot some piling has been compleated near Pangbourne, there is nothing east of Reading or west of the Pangbourne area.

There is a small holding area for the OHL equipment that is awaiting to be installed just northeast of Didcot station.

On the two lines from the main line to Reading West, there are several OHL masts on both lines.

A few bridges are in the process of being rebuilt in the Slough area, two others just west of Airport junction and another two west of Newport. I did notice that there are three bridges around the Slough area that look too low for OHL, does anybody know if they are to be rebuilt as well?, apart from this all the bridges between Airport junction and Didcot appear to be finished.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
The bits round Reading (especially the new depot) were done ahead of time so they could tie in with the existing Reading area redevelopment.

class222lover

It's alright Reading getting electrification bits and bops early, but nothing has been done on the MML as far as I've seen.:|

Or has there?!

LE Greys

Established Member
How long will it be before London to Bristol is electrified?

Network Rail's website suggests Newbury and Oxford by 2016, with Cardiff by 2017, although they are already working on bridge modification in West Berkshire. From the PDF link on the page:

Work will start at the eastern end of the route and progress westwards until completion in 2016/17. The first phase of work is to improve bridges and tunnels. This will start in spring 2012.
  • Sulhamstead Hill bridge will be closed until 11 July 2012. A diversionary route will be in operation from the A4 to the junction of Bottom Lane. The diversion will be signed via Reading Road through Burghfield Road & Deans Copse Road to the A4 at Theale. A temporary footbridge will be available.
  • Beenham Lockside Crescent bridge will be closed until 5 July 2012. The main work will take place on the weekends of the 7&14 April. A diversionary route will be clearly signed and pedestrian access will be maintained via the station footbridge.
  • A340 bridge (nr Aldermaston Station) will be closed in two stages:
    - Stage 1: a temporary closure is required until 12 May 2012. A diversionary route will be in operation via the A4 to the junction of Mallard Way and a temporary footbridge will be located next to the A340
    - Stage 2: the bridge will be closed for a further eight weeks from 10 Sept 2012
  • Frouds Lane bridge will be closed between 14 May–6 Sept 2012. The main activity will take place on the weekends of the 3 & 10 June. A diversionary route will be in operation via the newly opened A340 (following stage 1). Further work will be required later in the year and during 2013, following consultation with West Berkshire Council.
  • Temporary bus route We recognise the temporary closures of Beenham Lockside Crescent and the A340 railway bridges will cause some inconvenience. To minimise disruption a free minibus will be in operation linking Aldermaston Wharf to bus services on Bath Road (routes 104 & 105). The minibus will run from Monday to Saturday between March and May, when the main works are underway.

So they're preparing the line and will get going with wiring it last, working from Airport Junction onwards.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/great-western-electrification-delivering-the-plans/

Chris125

Established Member
It's alright Reading getting electrification bits and bops early, but nothing has been done on the MML as far as I've seen.:|

Work might not have started on the ground yet but they have started putting in planning applications for the various bridges.

Chris

Or has there?!

The MML electrification is part of CP5 which does not start until April 2014.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The southern half of Reading station has also a few portal structures.
The new train maintenance depot to the south west of Reading station is about 50% wired with a single contact wire and all the other OHL structures are up.
Between Reading and Didcot I would say that 50-60% on the OHL foundations are in, they are either tubular steel or concrete, there is nothing east of Reading or west of Didcot apart from the above.
There is a small holding area for the OHL equipment that is waiting to be installed just southeast of Didcot station.

This could be a long thread!
I think you mean north/northwest side of Reading station for electrification structures?
As far as I could tell only P13/14 had any portal structures last week.
There are small batches of tubular piles in, mostly around Pangbourne, but the rest look to me like markers for future piling rather that piles themselves.
These continue past Didcot towards Oxford.
The OHL depot at Moreton Cutting looked deserted when I passed. I'm not sure work has started in earnest yet.
This is looking at the Up side though - they may be more advanced on the Down.

Work has evidently started on doubling Airport Junction and the Acton grade separation.
There was also some activity in North Pole depot, at the Paddington end, probably for the IEP depot conversion.
And also some construction activity in the sidings at Maidenhead to be used for Crossrail.

On the MML and the other electrification schemes it will be a long while before contracts are let.
They are due for completion in CP6, and merely "started" in CP5 (no milestones yet).
Until the ORR clears the costs of these schemes they won't start on the ground.
I think the NW and GW schemes have to prove the output technology is working first.

Sorry yes north side of Reading station, I must get a compass!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think that you could be right about the markers, there is a lot locations of either concrete or concrete coloured paint with a piece of wood in it when the OHL mast will go between Reading and Didcot, so I have amended my original message, I did not see anything between Didcot and Oxford as regards foundations, I was looking mostly at the Oxfordshire countryside which was very nice to look at!
I will be on the GWML in a few weeks so I will have another look then.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I did not see anything between Didcot and Oxford as regards foundations, I was looking mostly at the Oxfordshire countryside which was very nice to look at!

Indeed it was.
It will be a bit of a shock when the overheads go up alongside/over the Thames.
I hope the design is sympathetic...

EDIT

This document (page 199-201): http://www.networkrail.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=30064785772
says OLE base piling starts in October, as part of the High Output project: Piling - October 2013, Structures November 2013, Wiring March 2014.
So no need to look for masts on the main line for a bit yet...

Last edited:

mr_moo

A few bridges are in the process of being rebuilt in the Slough area, two others just west of Airport junction and another two west of Newport. I did notice that there are three bridges around the Slough area that look too low for OHL, does anybody know if they are to be rebuilt as well?, apart from this all the bridges between Airport junction and Didcot appear to be finished.

I'm not sure which three bridges you mean but, starting from Airport Jn:
Stockley road - Fine.
Old Stockley road - Being rebuilt - Largely complete.
Horton road - Being rebuilt - Largely complete.
M25 - fine
Thorney Lane - To be rebuilt
Trenches footbridge - Complete replacement - Largely complete.
St Mary's road - Track Lowering (all 4 lines)
Middlegreen road - Being rebuilt - Largely complete.
Uxbridge road - Fine
Wexham road - Track Lowering (Main lines only - Reliefs are fine)
William street - Fine
Stoke Poges road - To be rebuilt
Stoke Poges footbridge - Fine
Farnham road - Track Lowering (Main lines only - reliefs are fine)
Leigh road - Track Lowering (All 4 lines)
Dover road - Fine

HTH!

Maybe I should have called it Great Western Electrification 2013, I have a short memory thanks for letting me know.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
A shame in a way, it's such an eyesore.

Picture the scene. Sitting next to the Airedale line in Leeds. Beautiful scenery the railway running along the bottom of the valley, there's a tiny noise of an EMU going by at 90mph. Nice and relaxing. Then all of a sudden the Carlisle services comes by with a 158 thrashing all its engines to maintain 90mph. Rudely awakened by this loud intruder.

The visual intrusion is minimal, the noise benefits far outweigh them.

LE Greys

Established Member
Picture the scene. Sitting next to the Airedale line in Leeds. Beautiful scenery the railway running along the bottom of the valley, there's a tiny noise of an EMU going by at 90mph. Nice and relaxing. Then all of a sudden the Carlisle services comes by with a 158 thrashing all its engines to maintain 90mph. Rudely awakened by this loud intruder.

The visual intrusion is minimal, the noise benefits far outweigh them.

I have an aunt who lives in Crosshills, the line is about a quarter of a mile from her front door, in direct view of the house. I'd agree with you, and I reckon the difference is about 50% (much of the noise from EMUs comes from the wheel/rail interface). Still, believe me, you know about it when a Class 60 goes through, as they still do sometimes. I really hope that additional electric freight comes about because of this (where most of the noise comes from the fans).

TheWalrus

Established Member
I noticed masts up on the line towards Reading West yesterday.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
With electrification and IEP will there be signalling upgrades for 140mph running?

Established Member
With electrification and IEP will there be signalling upgrades for 140mph running?

Yes, the route will be getting this signalling system, which is in-cab so the capability will be there.

... but the IEP trains will not be able to do 140 mph without modifications.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Ah so instead of making sure it all fits together from the beginning it will cost a fortune later to implement

The Planner

Veteran Member
Doesn't say the ERTMS will deliver 140mph running, and I am still to be convinced it will unless it goes Level 3 moving block.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Not with the classic signalling (125mph max), but ETCS has the potential to deliver higher speeds.
But ETCS is not due until 2019(?) and will not be the primary signalling method until later, when the "lights on sticks" are switched off.
There isn't a clear plan to get that far.

All the rolling stock using 140mph sections would have to be ETCS-fitted, including EMUs and freight locos.
IEP will be fitted with ETCS, and is capable of 140mph "with minor modifications".

I don't think Network Rail have any plans to upgrade the track for 140mph running, at least in CP5.
The OHLE is specified to be 140mph-capable.

I expect there will be a demonstration of 140mph running at some point in the early 2020s, probably between Didcot and Swindon.
As for regular 140mph running Paddington-Bristol, I can't see it happening.
Apart from the technical issues, the frequent stops on GW services make it rather pointless.
Fast acceleration is more important.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Thanks for reply..LNW

Where will the 20 minute quoted improved time fromPaddington to Bristol come from? That can't all come from better acceleration?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
All the rolling stock using 140mph sections would have to be ETCS-fitted, including EMUs and freight locos.
IEP will be fitted with ETCS, and is capable of 140mph "with minor modifications".

I don't think they would have to be, since the ETCS would be an overlay over the conventional signalling, which means that trains without ETCS would just obey the colour light signals and TPWS system as they do now.

The ETCS would just have the option of authorising speeds above 125mph if the signalling system deems that it is safe to do so. This is a similar system used on the cab signalling system on the Northeast Corridor in the US, Acela Express trainsets can decode an overlaid signal that authorises them to go faster but no other trains can detect it.

I expect there will be a demonstration of 140mph running at some point in the early 2020s, probably between Didcot and Swindon.
As for regular 140mph running Paddington-Bristol, I can't see it happening.
Apart from the technical issues, the frequent stops on GW services make it rather pointless.
Fast acceleration is more important.

Modern EMUs can accelerate so fast that there is plenty of opportunity for 140mph running between Paddington and Bristol. (Class 395 can reach 140mph in something like ~9000m, although admittedly they do 200kph in 5000m)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't think they would have to be, since the ETCS would be an overlay over the conventional signalling, which means that trains without ETCS would just obey the colour light signals and TPWS system as they do now.

The ETCS would just have the option of authorising speeds above 125mph if the signalling system deems that it is safe to do so. This is a similar system used on the cab signalling system on the Northeast Corridor in the US, Acela Express trainsets can decode an overlaid signal that authorises them to go faster but no other trains can detect it.

Modern EMUs can accelerate so fast that there is plenty of opportunity for 140mph running between Paddington and Bristol. (Class 395 can reach 140mph in something like ~9000m, although admittedly they do 200kph in 5000m)

Can you see 140mph being allowed through platforms (eg Slough, Twyford etc)?
If not that wipes out many stretches east of Didcot.
The Reading-Cholsey section may also be too bendy for 140mph.
And the current 125mph profile ends at the Cotswold tunnels (Box, Badminton).

NR's efforts so far on ETCS seem to be very tentative and cautious.
I know TASS works well on the WCML which I suppose is similar to the Acela setup, but that only goes up to 125mph and is within normal signal sighting.
ETCS may have the potential to do what you say but has NR got the bottle to do 140mph intermingled with classic traffic on the overlayed system?

Prospects might be better on the ECML where they are intending to go straight to ETCS without the overlay (and the route is more suited to 140mph running).

Status
Not open for further replies.