• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

3973EXL

Established Member
Aldermaston to Theale cont.

New Ufton Lane bridge and views W and E from it. The W view shows the start of Ufton Loop.

Next bridge is Tyle Mill with views E and W.

Wigmore Lane FP crossing is by Theale Puma oil terminal. Two views E and one W.

The final two are works compounds from the train. The first is W of Aldermaston on the down side.
Second is also on the down side at Towney, not much going on.
There is also another at Newbury Racecourse.

DSC00197.JPG DSC00198.JPG DSC00200.JPG DSC00202.JPG DSC00203.JPG DSC00205.JPG DSC00208.JPG DSC00206.JPG DSC00209.JPG DSC00211.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
The chainsaw has been out at Reading West.

Maybe the piles will be going in that were marked out long ago!

DSC00183.JPG DSC00184.JPG DSC00185.JPG DSC00212.JPG DSC00213.JPG

spark001uk

Established Member
Aldermaston to Theale cont.

New Ufton Lane bridge and views W and E from it. The W view shows the start of Ufton Loop.

Next bridge is Tyle Mill with views E and W.

Wigmore Lane FP crossing is by Theale Puma oil terminal. Two views E and one W.

The final two are works compounds from the train. The first is W of Aldermaston on the down side.
Second is also on the down side at Towney, not much going on.
There is also another at Newbury Racecourse.

You deserve 10/10 for getting about as ever! Well done with all the phots. On the humorous side, I dare say you've got enough media to knock up some GWR LTV mapping streetview style! ;)

3973EXL

Established Member
You deserve 10/10 for getting about as ever! Well done with all the phots. On the humorous side, I dare say you've got enough media to knock up some GWR LTV mapping streetview style! ;)

Local and ex professional interest was why I've been following progress. Other people seemed interested as well, so I've posted what I've seen. Photography and computers are not really my thing, but easier to post a photo than explain in words.

While I'm here, some connected work at Bristol Parkway this week.
DSC00175.JPG DSC00176.JPG DSC00177.JPG DSC00179.JPG DSC00180.JPG DSC00178.JPG DSC00182.JPG

RP

As well as additional masts and twin track cantilevers, I spotted a few masts now fitted with the arm for the auto-transformer lead and others with registration arms swivelled parallel with relief lines on main line beteween Newport and Cardiff near Wentlloog Freightliner Terminal today. Still big gaps in installed masts east of Marshfield though. Work being done on tracks beneath the intersection bridges where the valley lines cross the main line at Cardiff East, most trains operating into and out of platforms 0, 1 and 2

spark001uk

Established Member
Local and ex professional interest was why I've been following progress. Other people seemed interested as well, so I've posted what I've seen. Photography and computers are not really my thing, but easier to post a photo than explain in words.
Definitely, they're certainly interesting, keep them coming! If that's ok. ;)
I'm keen to see how quickly Swindon gets wired up, not long I shouldn't think, seeing as head office is there!! ;)

snowball

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea regarding when Oxford should start receiving electric trains?
Or any station beyond Didcot?
Your second question is easier! Electrics to Swindon, Bristol Parkway, Newport and Cardiff should be running by the end of 2018. I imagine Swindon could be several months earlier.

Didcot to Oxford, like both approaches to Bristol, was put on ice last November. Resumption of work on electrifying these will be dependent on (a) completion of the track and signalling works, (b) a decision that they are affordable and good value for money to include them in the programme for CP6.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Gosh, that’s a bit late. Thanks for the info. Hopefully not 166s all the way up until then???

jimm

Established Member

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm guessing the late notice blockade of Reading this coming weekend is due to the work which didn't get done a few weeks ago?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh no! Does this mean buses again until 12:30! I have a trip planned from my beloved Reading station (amen)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Oh no! Does this mean buses again until 12:30! I have a trip planned from my beloved Reading station (amen)

Looks like buses both days, only trains at Reading are the SWR services & GWR services towards the North Downs (at a quick glance)

Caught me off guard as it means a rail replacement bus from Didcot to Basingstoke, hopefully direct (and a lucky overhearing an announcement at Basingstoke earlier)

FGW_DID

Established Member
Total block @ Reading. Nothing runs between Didcot - Maidenhead. Nothing past Theale. Saturday 0001 to the wee small hours of Monday morning.

Tim456

spark001uk

Established Member
Funny isn't it, whenever I see a snotty reply to a post, look to the left and it's the same name every time! Entertainment value if nothing else. ;) ;)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm guessing the late notice blockade of Reading this coming weekend is due to the work which didn't get done a few weeks ago?

All I've heard about the work not being done over 16/17 September has been rumour/hearsay. Has anything official been stated?

D1009

Established Member
All I've heard about the work not being done over 16/17 September has been rumour/hearsay. Has anything official been stated?
The recorded announcements at GWR stations refer to "emergency electrification work". Make of that what you will.

FGW_DID

Established Member

The recorded announcements at GWR stations refer to "emergency electrification work". Make of that what you will.

There was work done, not all of what was required was done and some of the work not done was quite a large or important piece hence the 12 hr possessions over a number of Sunday's and the possession this weekend which is now 0200 Sat - 0200 Mon.

I think the words unplanned or (very) short notice would be better than 'emergency'.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
And passengers finally receiving it today. Cardiff to Paddington in nearly 5 hours, 2 trains and 2 buses

I hope passengers are being advised to book onto a Megabus or National Express coach instead then!
Obviously not seriously suggesting that, but I would hope that passengers would be able to get a refund if they decide not to travel or travel by other means!

Status
Not open for further replies.