• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

3973EXL

Established Member
Aldermaston to Ufton Lane: second set of updated photos taken today.

View E from Towney.
3 views between Towney and Ufton Lane.
3 views W from Ufton Lane.
3 views E from Ufton Lane. You can see some registration arms up E of the bridge.

DSC00295.JPG DSC00287.JPG DSC00286.JPG DSC00288.JPG DSC00291.JPG DSC00294.JPG DSC00293.JPG DSC00292.JPG DSC00289.JPG DSC00290.JPG

Some masts still to go up, but nearly there in this area. Excluding stations, Racecourse to Theale looking good as well.
Not much west of Racecourse and Reading West to MP38 1/4. Also most masts from east of Theale to east of Calcot Mill crossing still to go up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steevp

I noticed this morning that some installation of registration arms has commenced on the Didcot avoiding line and some more on the ground ready for installation - don't recall seeing them last Friday (but it was dark when I was there then)

JN114

Established Member
It seems sometimes like NR is determined to take the project as far as Oxford sometimes!

My understanding is that electrification of the Didcot area will include the entirety of the Triangle to permit turning electric trains. There was a proposal after planning permission for sidings on the current DBC site were refused to commission stabling sidings for 387s at Appleford; don’t know how far that got...

jyte

My understanding is that electrification of the Didcot area will include the entirety of the Triangle to permit turning electric trains. There was a proposal after planning permission for sidings on the current DBC site were refused to commission stabling sidings for 387s at Appleford; don’t know how far that got...
This was what I was expecting yeah.

jimm

Established Member
The intention appears to be to complete wires on the avoiding line and west side of the triangle and on to the Oxford line as far as Appleford level crossing at some point next year - presumably after they have got the Newbury route and Swindon sorted.

Much of the steelwork needed was installed between Appleford and the A4130 bridge at the north edge of Didcot earlier this year. Some piling work was done along the avoiding line and a couple of the uprights fitted, but I think more piling is needed around Didcot North junction.

The uprights and cantilevers south of Appleford can be seen in this picture taken from the road bridge last week by Martin Loader http://hondawanderer.com/165109_165114_Didcot_North_Junction_2017.htm

steverailer

I noticed this morning that some installation of registration arms has commenced on the Didcot avoiding line and some more on the ground ready for installation - don't recall seeing them last Friday (but it was dark when I was there then)

Its only on the down in case of a wrong routing on the points, probably about 300m worth at the most at present

Phil G

Registration arms appeared overnight at Langley Burrell east of Chippenham, this is the furthest west on the BTM leg.

jyte

How much work is still outstanding before the timetable change and the revenue usage of the AC between Maidenhead and Didcot [on that section of line]?

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
How much work is still outstanding before the timetable change and the revenue usage of the AC between Maidenhead and Didcot [on that section of line]?

Not much - some testing required. The main stumbling block is ORR sign off of the OHLE on this section.

3973EXL

Established Member
Platform extensions at Bristol Parkway and masts around Swindon. All from today.

DSC00312.JPG DSC00314.JPG DSC00315.JPG DSC00318.JPG DSC00319.JPG DSC00320.JPG DSC00322.JPG DSC00323.JPG DSC00324.JPG DSC00325.JPG

3973EXL

Established Member

DSC00334.JPG DSC00333.JPG DSC00336.JPG

Masts on the avoider, 4 x portals, 2 x TTC. Rest to Didcot East covered by existing all line structures.

DSC00335.JPG

Another mast hiding in the distance, probably been there a while.

spark001uk

Established Member
...Because of the very different earthing and fault detection requirements of the two systems these common stretches of track are avoided as much as possible whether at Reading or Basingstoke or anywhere else...
TL manages half a mile of it OK in the core.?

jimm

Established Member
Another mast hiding in the distance, probably been there a while.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, yes. A couple of uprights appeared some months ago further round the curve towards Didcot North.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
And because it offers significant benefits to operational flexibility in the event a unit cannot successfully change mode.
Agreed, however would add that because there are specific requirements of the Thameslink core, then that solution probably doesn't create a precedent for general use around the wider national network.

Dixie

There's an interesting cab ride made by Network Rail on You Tube from Paddington to Swindon, taken in October:
It doesn't appear to have been mentioned on here. It is very speeded up, but Network Rail have intimated that they might post a slowed down version in the future.

7ftBroad

Hi all, these questions might be already answered somewhere else

1 How are New trains performing?

2 When overheads come to Swindon before moving up the line, are overheads stopping at Swindon or RWB junction?

Thanks

JN114

Established Member
Hi all, these questions might be already answered somewhere else

2 When overheads come to Swindon before moving up the line, are overheads stopping at Swindon or RWB junction?

Thanks

Under current plans Swindon gets switched on as part of Didcot - Cardiff/Corsham switch on next December.

snowball

Established Member
The 800s have superior acceleration to HSTs on electric and at low speed on diesel, but inferior at higher speed on diesel. There's a thread about them in the Traction and Rolling Stock subforum. Likewise for the suburban units.

Last edited:

jyte

Under current plans Swindon gets switched on as part of Didcot - Cardiff/Corsham switch on next December.

It seems like a huge section to switch on at once. I fear a repeat of the Tube Lines Jubilee line signalling mess.

JN114

Established Member
It seems like a huge section to switch on at once. I fear a repeat of the Tube Lines Jubilee line signalling mess.

Why? It has to be extensively tested before signing into passenger use; and that testing will be done as it is completed. The “Switch On” from December 2018 isn’t literal. There will be sections completed and tested beyond Swindon before Swindon is done itself - the physical work isn’t being done linearly; it’s just the introduction into service that is seemingly linear.

jyte

Why? It has to be extensively tested before signing into passenger use; and that testing will be done as it is completed. The “Switch On” from December 2018 isn’t literal. There will be sections completed and tested beyond Swindon before Swindon is done itself - the physical work isn’t being done linearly; it’s just the introduction into service that is seemingly linear.
Whoops....brain fart on my part, sorry.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
May be influenced by there being a feeder station at the western limit of OLE near Corsham, although it also has a separate feed to Wootton Bassett. However until the wire is continuous eastwards from there, any un-connected energisation further east will have to be fed through from the Reading direction. This may be pushing the capacity of the feeders somewhat.

JN114

Established Member
May be influenced by there being a feeder station at the western limit of OLE near Corsham, although it also has a separate feed to Wootton Bassett. However until the wire is continuous eastwards from there, any un-connected energisation further east will have to be fed through from the Reading direction. This may be pushing the capacity of the feeders somewhat.

Corsham will be a feed point yes, but there are more further West to feed traction supply into the system. If, as has been mooted, Steventon is to remain a gap in the short term at least - then Didcot isn’t going to have to feed much West of it.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If I recall the next feed point is nearly at Cardiff. I assume if there is ends up being a gap at Steventon it would be bridged across by a 25kV feed cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.