• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L&Y Robert

You meant the class 365s. That was a grammar pedant post :p
I have a little text doc. setting out all the correct arrangements of 's' and that much mis-used apostrophie. Anyone want a copy? Em me. (My son says that you don't Em people now, you "Ping" them!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What sort of 'overhead' is to be used in Severn Tunnel? One assumes there's room for it, or maybe the trackbed is to be lowered? It's a wet environment anyway. I remember travelling on a DMU Cardiff - Bristol in the 70s (front seat OF COURSE) but the tunnel was full of fog!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I counted 7 separate short lengths of wiring today between Stockley and Slough, nearly all on the Relief lines.
Most registration gear is up to beyond Taplow, but there are still odd bare cantilevers.
The steelwork runs out at Maidenhead, for about a mile westwards.
It's then at various stages as far as Twyford West, where there is a gap through Sonning Cutting.
Most of this is in twin-track cantilever form.
The odd mast is up in the bottom of the cutting where the lines separate to pass under bridges.

On the Newbury line, there are 19/13 (Up/Down) masts up west of about Midgham.
The masts are of the same massive profile as those on the 4-track main line.
Otherwise no steelwork beyond Reading West.
Registration gear is up between there and through the underpass.
Also on the Up Relief between Scours Lane and the EMU depot (plus an earth wire on the masts).
Nothing doing on the Oxford branch, but plenty of signs of resignalling work with new platforms being constructed to take the new signalling kit.

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
I have a little text doc. setting out all the correct arrangements of 's' and that much misused apostrophe. Anyone want a copy? Em me. (My son says that you don't Em people now, you "Ping" them!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What sort of 'overhead' is to be used in Severn Tunnel? One assumes there's room for it, or maybe the trackbed is to be lowered? It's a wet environment anyway. I remember travelling on a DMU Cardiff - Bristol in the 70s (front seat OF COURSE) but the tunnel was full of fog!

Corrected your correction. (see bold). :)

It's to be a rail overhead delivery. We've had lots of posts about it. Just search on 'Furrer and Frey'.

Update: see this link

http://www.construction.co.uk/construction-news/218799/network-rail-to-begin-severn-tunnel-upgrade?

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
Will electricity still be around then?

If it's not then we're in a while works of trouble, as electricity is naturally occurring and without it there would be a lot of problems in the natural world.

Andrewlong

Travelled from Reading to Paddington yesterday. Electrification masts have started going up in the Sonning cutting near Reading.

highdyke

Apparently Network Rail are running a drop-in this afternoon on Oxford area improvements and electrification, in Seminar Room A of the Saïd Business School, Park End Street, Oxford OX1 1HP from 4pm to 7.30pm on Wednesday, 7 September. Supposedly some of the project team will be there, for anyone looking to get some outstanding electrification questions answered it might be your chance!

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/great-western-route-modernisation/oxford/

I noticed Tackley resignalling was mentioned on the latest release. I did make me wonder whether this was the installation of 3 aspect signalling from Heyford to Wolvercote and maybe even the commissioning of the down passenger loop/relief line as far as Wolvercote, or is it still planned to do a big bang resignalling in Spring 2018 of the Oxford area?

Andyjs247

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/great-western-route-modernisation/oxford/

I noticed Tackley resignalling was mentioned on the latest release. I did make me wonder whether this was the installation of 3 aspect signalling from Heyford to Wolvercote and maybe even the commissioning of the down passenger loop/relief line as far as Wolvercote, or is it still planned to do a big bang resignalling in Spring 2018 of the Oxford area?

It would seem so. The Oxford Mail are saying there will be some sort of further blockade in Spring 2018 for resignalling. See also #1713 in the Chiltern Oxford Link Approved thread.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The dates for a Tackley closure with 'possible diversions' in that NR table, are they probably 2017?

bavvo

This could potentially cause issues with the electrification of the Henley Branch line if it goes ahead... The details are, a developer wants to expand into Mill Lane in Henley, onto a section of road that rises up an embankment to cross the line at Mill Lane overbridge. If the line is electrified then the bridge needs to be raised to create clearance, but this may not be possible in future. Network rail suggests the track could be lowered, but as it borders on the Thames Flood plain at this point (which was close to flooding the line two years ago) lowering the track adds additonal risks.

Network Rail (NWR) proposes to agree operational land grab with HenThames Ltd who have submitted a planning application for an 80 bedded care home on the old LA Fitness site in Newtown Road which could harm future electrification of the branch line.

This was an agenda item on Tuesday’s Henley Town Council planning meeting.

HenThames have threatened an adverse possession order on NWR – this effectively is a law concerning squatters rights, and it is one of the most controversial ways of attempting to acquire land which does not belong to them.

Michelle Horsley, member of the Keep Henley Active campaign to keep the site as a fitness centre said, “The surveyor for NWR is of the opinion that if it cuts a deal with HenThames to keep the east side in the possession of NWR this will be the part which will be used if they decide to raise the bridge for electrification, furthermore their legal advice said that if HenThames lodged the adverse possession order, NWR would not even defend its land.”

“The tile of land which belongs to HenThames is clearly marked with a boundary line, as is the NWR operational land, and we presented this evidence to the Planning Committee last night which shows these boundaries. We have sought independent advice which confirms that under no circumstances should such a deal be struck prior to electrification ‘it is like putting the cart before the horse’.”

“We praise NWR for seeking the opinion of Henley Town Council, but despite the Council’s protestations – they unanimously (with the exception of Cllr Nimmo Smith) to recommend that NWR do not dispose of the operational land prior to electrification, NWR are under no obligation to follow the Council’s opinions and wishes.”

“I don’t know what I find more disturbing – HenThames’s bully tactics at this attempt to occupy NWR land and threatening the future of this branch line for their own gain, or NWR’s walk all over us attitude in their proposal not to fight this”

“I sincerely hope Henley Town Council will work with NWR to explore every legal avenue open to them to keep this operational land rightfully in the hands of the owner – NWR”.

Patricia Mulcahy, Chair, Henley Branch Users Group said, “We understand that Network Rail has received an adverse possession claim for a piece of land close to the bridge, which could lead to Network Rail being forced to accept a transfer of the piece of land in question. This is in connection with the 3rd party’s planning application for development of its adjacent land.”

“Network Rail’s view is that the Outline feasibility work they have undertaken has concluded that a track lowering solution is viable, so that works to raise the bridge are not going to be necessary for installation of overhead line equipment.”

“However, given the propensity to flooding in that particular area, HBUG would query the wisdom of a track lowering solution. If the bridge had to be lifted, the land in question would be required as part of that work. Therefore, HBUG would object to the granting of adverse possession to the developer for fear that it would compromise HBUG’s objective of ensuring the long term viability of the Henley Branch Line.”

http://www.henleyherald.com/2016/09/08/network-rail-proposes-sell-land-care-home-developer/

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Could NR turn round an say to the council "If you grant the adverse possession order, we'll close the Henley branch"? If the Henley branch were to close, would that shave very much off the overall budget?

jimm

Established Member
Could NR turn round an say to the council "If you grant the adverse possession order, we'll close the Henley branch"? If the Henley branch were to close, would that shave very much off the overall budget?

The council is not granting anything. Nor is anyone going to close the Henley branch.

Adverse possession applications are decided by the Land Registry, or if the matter is contested, at a land tribunal. After that, the higher courts can get involved in appeals.

What is happening in Henley is that Network Rail has asked for the views of the local councils on the issue, so as well as the town council, I'd expect South Oxfordshire District Council and Oxfordshire County Council will also have been contacted by Network Rail to seek their comments on a potential resolution of the matter - but has not made its mind up yet.

The situation might be a bit clearer had the Henley Herald bothered to ask Network Rail to explain its position, rather than just citing what others claim is Network Rail's view. But it is a community website, so not necessarily going to bother.

According to the Henley Standard (the local weekly paper) Network Rail has thus far been objecting to the developer's planning application.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=41754

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=199366

snowball

Established Member
Press release including video with clips of drilling in Severn tunnel:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...e-for-six-weeks-for-essential-railway-upgrade

The 130-year-old Severn Tunnel will close for six weeks from Monday (12 September) to upgrade it in preparation for a fleet of brand new electric trains, which will result in more seats and faster, more reliable train journeys – all part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan to provide a bigger, better railway for passengers

Another press release:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...p-in-event-as-railway-upgrade-work-approaches

Filton and Horfield residents are invited to attend a drop-in event to find out more about the next steps in Network Rail’s plan to upgrade the railway in the Bristol area.

The event will take place between 5pm and 8pm on Thursday, 15 September at Filton Community Centre, Elm Park. Members of the Network Rail project team will be on hand throughout to explain the plans and to answer any questions.

Work is due start next month at Filton Abbey Wood station and in the neighbouring Horfield cutting as part of the project to double the number of tracks between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway from two to four.

The scheme will allow more trains to operate, reduce journey times and allow for trackside maintenance work to be undertaken without disrupting services, as well as allowing more freight services to operate. It also allows for electrification of the line which will enable the introduction of a fleet of quieter, greener, faster electric trains.

To accommodate the new trains, a fourth platform will be built at Filton Abbey Wood station with ramped access to the existing footbridge. To support the embankment, a retaining wall will be built between the new platform and the residential area that backs onto the railway. This phase of the work is due to take a year before Network Rail’s orange army will return to extend the three existing platforms and lay the new track.

The work in Horfield cutting will consist of building a 1.25m retaining wall which will in turn provide room for the construction of two additional tracks. This work extends from south of Bonnington Walk Bridge to Filton Abbey Wood Station and is expected to last seven months.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Press release including video with clips of drilling in Severn tunnel:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...e-for-six-weeks-for-essential-railway-upgrade

More excitingly, we also see that the Network SouthEast will be reformed, extending to South Wales and using Class 373s! Who'd have thought? (Presumably 442s for semi-fasts).

Fingers cross the tunnel work and diversions all go to plan! I know it's not electrification related per se, but the Oxford-Didcot closure did seem to go very smoothly.

reddragon

Established Member
Progress update from to trip up to town today

Both reliefs & down main wired from east end of West Drayton Station to close to Heathrow spur (but not connected to existing). More bits on reliefs up to Southall & a bit on the main east of Slough.

Tilehurst - all completed west of Scours Lane except: -

small gap on down relief east of Tilehurst Junc / small gap on up relief west of Tilehurst junc where wires are there but not completed.

crossover from mains to reliefs not done

crossovers between mains and between reliefs done

not further work on connection Scours Lane to depot

fgwrich

Established Member
More excitingly, we also see that the Network SouthEast will be reformed, extending to South Wales and using Class 373s! Who'd have thought? (Presumably 442s for semi-fasts).

Fingers cross the tunnel work and diversions all go to plan! I know it's not electrification related per se, but the Oxford-Didcot closure did seem to go very smoothly.

Woah! Do Network Rail know about these plans, as I'd be a little concerned about how gauge cleared that 373 is!

All this talk in the video about installing the conductor rail and your wish with the 442s could sound true! :lol: I like the added subtitles for 'Upbeat Music' though!

leomartin125

...you must have missed all the stuff about the short platform lengths at Bourne End and non-availability of short AC rolling stock?

It's not short platforms at Bourne End that are a problem! Bourne End's platforms are perfectly reasonable for a 4 Car 387, they can very happily fit a 5 car Class 165/166 no problem and they do on weekdays with a direct service to Paddington. Marlow was always the problem station, with it only being able to hold 2 car trains... Although I think with the right investment, NR can find a solution to this issue as they will once GWML electrification on the mainline and other branch lines has been successfully completed.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
It's not short platforms at Bourne End that are a problem!

Bourne End's platforms are the problem. Go onto Google Earth and for the past images, select 12/31/2010. You'll see a 2 car turbo in the platform, a 3 car turbo would occupy the track circuit controlling the points so not allowing the points to be thrown

Status
Not open for further replies.