• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Heading away from Paddington, what's the current limit of where all tracks are done, but not necessarily energised?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jyte

Heading away from Paddington, what's the current limit of where all tracks are done, but not necessarily energised?

Because of the gap at MP25 for about 1/2 a mile, only as far as MP25 is where it's 'complete'. The Stockley (Hayes and Harlington) to Maidenhead section was actually energised with sections of missing ATF and some wiring missing at Maidenhead, but that's all been filled in now.

Between Maidenhead and Reading the picture is much more complicated, but seems to be almost all in 'wires going up stage'. By the end of the year Paddington-Didcot should be fully complete and energised.

Edit: apologies if that answer doesn't make complete sense....

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
I would agree too. Being left as a 'link' that can just be dropped in with the power fully off once everything west of it has been completed.

jyte

I would agree too. Being left as a 'link' that can just be dropped in with the power fully off once everything west of it has been completed.

'just be dropped in'

Isn't it 1/2 a mile of no wiring and no SPS? (I don't actually know!) Maybe you're too optimistic about how this project moves :D

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
'just be dropped in'

Isn't it 1/2 a mile of no wiring and no SPS? (I don't actually know!) Maybe you're too optimistic about how this project moves :D

Probably a single tension length. Remember contractors are turning up in the middle of the night to progress the installation, to me it makes perfect sense to have a significant gap until the live stuff.

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
'just be dropped in'

I don't think there is much SPS missing in the whole Reading gap.

You also have no wires on the mains from the bottom (west end) of the flyover to the live section.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
More difficult to do this section because they'd need the live section isolated as well as trains suspended.

mathmo

The SPS is up in the MP25 gap, and has been for several months. It just needs aligning and wiring. It seems logical for this to be done only shortly before energisation.

Is there a similar gap between the Reading station wiring and the live section further west?

spark001uk

Established Member
Whilst chatting to a staff member at Reading the other day about the OLE, they pointed something out to me and I thought I'd mention it if anyone didn't know :- when we say platforms there are "wired", it seems it's in a rather loose sense of the word, at the moment anyway.
In fact, when I say loose it may be literal! What it is, is a lot of the supports / arms / links etc seem to be somewhat loosely fitted and crooked. I suggested that probably they wanted it all up first and then come back along and align everything as a latter job. He was of the opinion that, in addition to that, the station was concentrated on to give a positive image of the project's pace where the public could see it most! ;)

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
To confirm, there is a gap at each end to the live sections.

West of Reading on the Mains, the gap is from the bottom of the flyover to Scours Lane. On the Reliefs, from West Jn to Scours Lane.

Maidenhead end as previously stated.

Not much progress to report:
Additional wires up on the UM from the existing wires at MP30 to MP30 3/4. This is just short of Twyford station and leaves about 3/4 of a mile to join up with the Twyford West to Kennet wired section (looks to be two wire runs). There is still the section of just catenary wire passed Ruscombe crossovers.

At Twyford, parapet and canopy work is ongoing.

Still a DR section with just catenary wire, West end of Sonning cutting.

Platform 10 at Reading requires contact wire.

Main areas still to be wired at Reading:
Festival Line
West Curve
Feeder Relief
Section of the DM at the London end of the flyover.
Various lines east of the station, MP34 3/4 to MP35 3/4.
Kennet Loop.

steverailer

Whilst chatting to a staff member at Reading the other day about the OLE, they pointed something out to me and I thought I'd mention it if anyone didn't know :- when we say platforms there are "wired", it seems it's in a rather loose sense of the word, at the moment anyway.
In fact, when I say loose it may be literal! What it is, is a lot of the supports / arms / links etc seem to be somewhat loosely fitted and crooked. I suggested that probably they wanted it all up first and then come back along and align everything as a latter job. He was of the opinion that, in addition to that, the station was concentrated on to give a positive image of the project's pace where the public could see it most! ;)

Its basically done the same way as a plumber or electrician does a new house, a few rough fits before a final tidy up. If they tried to do it all in 1 night they would never get it all done in the time allowed. They get it something like then following teams will come in and do the final fit.

Unclepete

Hi,
Stirling Cable building is now demolished, see attached, so hopefully NR can get on with the new feeder station which is being sited next to where used to stand, at trackside of course.
also, more masts & cross booms going up steadily.

Attachments

• StirlingCmay17.jpg
    StirlingCmay17.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 128
  • RacourseWmay17.jpg
    RacourseWmay17.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 127
  • RacecourseEmay17.jpg
    RacecourseEmay17.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 116

pacenotes

Are they going to be doing any tests this weekend with the introduction of the electric trains Monday morning?

jyte

Are they going to be doing any tests this weekend with the introduction of the electric trains Monday morning?

Well, that's news to me. If it's the 387s, I suggest you ask in the 387 forum.

I did, however, read about how 387s are going to be stabled at Maidenhead from this weekend till the 345s introduction next year.

3973EXL

Established Member
Not much progress to report:
Additional wires up on the UM from the existing wires at MP30 to MP30 3/4. This is just short of Twyford station and leaves about 3/4 of a mile to join up with the Twyford West to Kennet wired section.

The adjacent length of DM was wired last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

jyte

Various reports on rmweb that the masts around Chippenham are now booms (have had horizontals installed) - still lacking SPS, and I think there's only a handfull up as well.

On and thanks to leomartin we have video of a 387 at Maidenhead-I was wrong, customer usage starts on Monday!

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
Some pictures taken the other week.

New signal off Reading end of Plat 3 DR. Existing T1637 is partway along the platform. New signal appears to be facing the wrong way at the moment.

Twyford canopy & overbridge work.

Southbury Lane requires parapet work.
Views towards Twyford and London. The Mains here, have been wired this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1758.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 159

3973EXL

Established Member
A sewer was hit and the mast base needed a redesign, hence 2 bases / incomplete work.

For the record, pictures of the location and a mast opposite on Pl 1 that did go up.

Latest work:

Twyford West main to main crossover wired last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 169

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The deficiencies of the power supply on the Series 1 Stockley-Maidenhead section have been exposed today with restrictions on its electric usage.
This has been covered in the Class 387 Rolling Stock thread but really should be discussed here.

This is the gist of it (posted by JN114: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2997729&postcount=4736 ):
Only Class 387 traction to operate on AC power in the section between Stockley and Maidenhead.
Only 2 sets (of any length) to be in the section between Stockley and Maidenhead at any time.
Class 387 traction not to exceed power notch 3 while in the section between Stockley and Maidenhead.

Does anyone have sympathy for Network Rail in not providing the functionality, when the requirement was posted so long in advance?
It can be no surprise that London-end feeding was required to reach Maidenhead, as the gap westwards to Tilehurst-Didcot was always part of the installation plan.
Is it an equipment failure, or installation issue, or just poor planning?
Does the fact that it was part of the Crossrail project have any bearing on the problem?
It also comes straight after the EGIP power-on woes in Scotland.
Let's hope the problem will be resolved in the next month as mooted.
It doesn't help IEP testing either.

coppercapped

Established Member
The deficiencies of the power supply on the Series 1 Stockley-Maidenhead section have been exposed today with restrictions on its electric usage.
This has been covered in the Class 387 Rolling Stock thread but really should be discussed here.

This is the gist of it (posted by JN114: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2997729&postcount=4736 ):

Does anyone have sympathy for Network Rail in not providing the functionality, when the requirement was posted so long in advance?
It can be no surprise that London-end feeding was required to reach Maidenhead, as the gap westwards to Tilehurst-Didcot was always part of the installation plan.
Is it an equipment failure, or installation issue, or just poor planning?
Does the fact that it was part of the Crossrail project have any bearing on the problem?
It also comes straight after the EGIP power-on woes in Scotland.
Let's hope the problem will be resolved in the next month as mooted.
It doesn't help IEP testing either.

According to information posted on usenet and the Great Western Coffee Shop, the new feeder station at Kensal Green is not quite finished. It has been suggested that it will Enter Into Service (EIS) by mid June.

In the meantime the existing feeder station (at Hayes?) which was sized for HEx and HConn to Heathrow is now also supplying the Maidenhead extension. As a result the total electrical load has to be limited.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
According to information posted on usenet and the Great Western Coffee Shop, the new feeder station at Kensal Green is not quite finished. It has been suggested that it will Enter Into Service (EIS) by mid June.

In the meantime the existing feeder station (at Hayes?) which was sized for HEx and HConn to Heathrow is now also supplying the Maidenhead extension. As a result the total electrical load has to be limited.

Regarding the new feeder station at Kensal Green, is this the Kensal Green on the London & Birmingham Railway section of the West Coast Route?

If that is indeed the case, does this also mean that the line from Willesden Junction to Acton Main Line will be wired at some point?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Regarding the new feeder station at Kensal Green, is this the Kensal Green on the London & Birmingham Railway section of the West Coast Route?

If that is indeed the case, does this also mean that the line from Willesden Junction to Acton Main Line will be wired at some point?

Kensal Green is also a distinct location on the GWML, where the old servicing platform was on the Carriage Lines outside Old Oak Common.
In geographical terms, it's only about 1/4 mile from the same-named location on the WCML, I believe across a cemetery. You don't realise just how close GWML and WCML are at that point. (A bit like the MML and Chiltern/Met/Jubilee lines at Finchley Road, about 250m apart but out of sight!)

Status
Not open for further replies.