• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great western electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
TBH Its better that the stone goes via Newbury, easier to fit a 60mph stone train between the hourly 90-110mph HSTs then between the IIRC 5ph 125mph HSTs via Swindon

The plan includes turning this into a 125 mph half-hourly Pendolino (one to Penzance in four hours, the other to Plymouth). Not to mention the Newbury suburban service, my proposed Reading-Exeter stoppers and all the reopenings along there. Now I just need to persuade my apple tree to start growing money.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

electric a waste of time the cost to electrify the whole lot get new rolling stock etc diesel is more reliable when we had the bad weather the hsts and units ran no problem.

new maintance depot being built at reading soon no plans for elctrics

Mind you to stretch a point, so did steam, and nobody seems convinced its a good argument for its retention. :)

http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?op...ory&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=123&limitstart=20

Re wantage, apparently the plan is to consider reopening it sometime around 2015, or whenever Didcot power station is due to close. Supposedly its because the freight traffic on the freight lines will greatly reduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.