• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
150933 and the extra carriage of 150248 (I forget which) were all at St Philip's Marsh last night, and not coming out to play today, so I'd say there's a good chance that's spot on.

Parallel

Established Member
Does anyone know which 150/2(s) are at Wolverton/the next to go to Wolverton?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Once this is done, which 150/9 will still be extant?

There is still 150938 which is awaiting a carriage from 150219 to return from Brodies following Plymouth collision damage when 150219 and 150238 can revert to their normal 2 Car formations. 150933 and 150938 were only temporary formations so don't forget the permanent formations of 150925 and 150926.

Mordac

Established Member
There is still 150938 which is awaiting a carriage from 150219 to return from Brodies following Plymouth collision damage when 150219 and 150238 can revert to their normal 2 Car formations. 150933 and 150938 were only temporary formations so don't forget the permanent formations of 150925 and 150926.

I see, thanks. The latter two I wasn't sure about. So will 150925 and 6 be leaving to join Northern with the 150/1s?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I see, thanks. The latter two I wasn't sure about. So will 150925 and 6 be leaving to join Northern with the 150/1s?

That's the plan, reformed into 3x2 Car Units. One of the present centre cars will be fitted with a toilet. This has been mentioned several times on he Forum in various threads.

Mordac

Established Member
That's the plan, reformed into 3x2 Car Units. One of the present centre cars will be fitted with a toilet. This has been mentioned several times on he Forum in various threads.

Thanks, and sorry, I just hadn't come across it. :oops:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was on a railtour a few days ago that went through the GW area and saw some of teh new green livery for the first time, it was mainly on the 2 or 3 carriage units, although I did an HST with the front and back power/driving cars being in the new livery, but all the passenger coaches were still in the old livery.

(Are GW HSTS always only 8 carriages?)

I Think I may have also seen a five car GW Intercity type train, but it was not the normal DMU units or a shorted HST, I know they did some a few years ago, but I thought they no longer used them?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
GW HSTs are, throughout, 8 cars. Up until a few years ago they still had a few 7-car formations.

GW are currently using a small number of Class 180s

jimm

Established Member
GW HSTs are, throughout, 8 cars. Up until a few years ago they still had a few 7-car formations.

What actually happened with the GW HST fleet was that they were all lengthened to eight coaches in the latter years of BR, but a decade ago, the then FGW management decided it was going to get rid of buffet cars in sets that spent most of the time working shorter-distance services which didn't need kitchen facilities, principally to Bristol and Cardiff, and have trolley catering instead.

The next FGW management team preferred buffets, so had mini-buffet coaches created for use in the seven-car sets, but growth in passenger traffic then led to a decision to insert another standard open coach into the seven-car sets to get them back to eight-coach formations - some of the extra TSOs were converted from redundant buffet cars that had been removed from previous eight-coach formations.

Hope that all makes sense....

FGW took back five Class 180s in 2012. They are due to remain with GWR until the end of next year, by which time there should be enough Class 800s in service to replace them on Oxford/Cotswold Line duties.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
What actually happened with the GW HST fleet was that they were all lengthened to eight coaches in the latter years of BR, but a decade ago, the then FGW management decided it was going to get rid of buffet cars in sets that spent most of the time working shorter-distance services which didn't need kitchen facilities, principally to Bristol and Cardiff, and have trolley catering instead.

The next FGW management team preferred buffets, so had mini-buffet coaches created for use in the seven-car sets, but growth in passenger traffic then led to a decision to insert another standard open coach into the seven-car sets to get them back to eight-coach formations - some of the extra TSOs were converted from redundant buffet cars that had been removed from previous eight-coach formations.

Hope that all makes sense....

FGW took back five Class 180s in 2012. They are due to remain with GWR until the end of next year, by which time there should be enough Class 800s in service to replace them on Oxford/Cotswold Line duties.

Thank you for the explanations. As GW services always seem busy, would it be possible or logical to add a 9th or even 10th carriage. When the new trains come in, will they have a larger passenger carrying capacity?

jimm

Established Member
Thank you for the explanations. As GW services always seem busy, would it be possible or logical to add a 9th or even 10th carriage. When the new trains come in, will they have a larger passenger carrying capacity?

No one is going to bother with the HSTs' remaining time on GWR so limited - and are precious few spare Mk3s going in the first place. There would also be performance implications from extra weight, especially on West Country services that have to climb the hills in Devon. The 800s and 802s will indeed boost seating capacity.

But maybe we could leave it at that, as we're getting away from the topic of GWR livery now.

talltim

Established Member

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
158957 gone into Barton Hill as the next one to be done following 956. It's not a bad time to be done now when, overall, there are less trains or legs of trains running due to Severn Tunnel closure.

co-tr-paul

"New" "T"SOD 12142 for Night Riviera stock now delivered to us and MAY be in Wednesday nights up rake thus making it the first wholly green set to run.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
All three green power cars were at Paddington simultaneously this morning; 43187 and 43188 on the full green rake and the other one on - obviously - a blue rake.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
All three green power cars were at Paddington simultaneously this morning; 43187 and 43188 on the full green rake and the other one on - obviously - a blue rake.
Three green power cars? I thought there were four (five if you count 'Harry Patch', not sure if that power car is black or green) and two full green rakes (only one is internally refreshed though).

On Moderation
Maybe both sets are internally refreshed, I've not been on either. I seem to recall reading however a post that said the second set still had blue seats.

Correct. One set has the new interior, other one is FGW standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.