• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Railway penalty fare route increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless they're just hoping to rake in £300 fines from people travelling on IC services between London and the West / Wales who get the wrong train with an Advance? Would certainly rake in the notes even after you've employed an RPI per train.

I thought PFs were not applicable if the only reason the ticket was not valid was a time restriction. Or is that just walk-ups?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I thought PFs were not applicable if the only reason the ticket was not valid was a time restriction. Or is that just walk-ups?

Obviously I was being somewhat facetious - but AFAIK the limitation on time-restricted tickets does not include Advance tickets. Other ticket types would be excessed as per the NRCoC. From the Advance ticket T&Cs:

NRCoC said:
12. Restrictions on when you can travel
Restrictions apply to the use of some tickets (including those bought with a Railcard) in addition to/other than those in Condition 10 above such as the dates, days, and times when you can use them, and the trains in which they can be used. These restrictions will be made clear to you by the seller when you buy your ticket. If a restriction applies and the ticket you are using is not valid for the train you are travelling in, then:
(a) you will be liable to pay an excess fare (the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel in that train for the journey shown on the ticket); or
(b) in the case of some types of discounted tickets (as indicated in the notices and publications) Condition 2 or 4 will apply.

(Conditions 2 and 4 relating to travel without a valid ticket)

Advance ticket T&Cs said:
Changes to tickets cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, a new ticket must be purchased. Depending on the Train Company you are travelling with, you may be liable to a Penalty Fare if you board the train with an invalid ticket.

Add in the odd commuter hoping to buy their Anytime ticket on board, missing Railcards, and a host of other opportunities genuine mistakes...

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
The new scheme is basically saying passengers should buy at their first opportunity to do so, something that has already been publicised! One thing that will be changing though is places like Frome, that has a TVM and a ticket office (open part time) but is not currently included in the PF scheme - But will be in a couple of weeks.

The scheme would probably work better if they made more of an effort to install more ticket issuing facilities at stations that currently have little/none. There are very few on the Westbury - Weymouth line, none on the Severn Beach line, few at other Bristol area stations, none most of the time at Keynsham and Oldfield Park, none at Freshford or Avoncliff and obviously none at all GWR managed request stops. None at most Exeter surburban/rural route stations, and none at most stations on Cornish branches. And that's just the west!

Obviously you can't expect facilities at every station as the initial cost would be high and some lesser used stations don't really warrant it, but stations like Keynsham and Oldfield Park really should have better ticket issuing facilities.

island

Veteran Member
I take it a penalty fare is issued on a buy on board line when one cannot buy on board.

You must buy a ticket before boarding if the facilities to do so are available, unless a notice or an authorised person excepts you from the requirement.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You must buy a ticket before boarding if the facilities to do so are available, unless a notice or an authorised person excepts you from the requirement.
You possibly need to follow a few more posts on this point, like I did earlier...

infobleep

Veteran Member
I have read the entire thread and I'm happy my post is accurate.
If facilties are not available but you do not have funds to pay anyway, then I assume they can PF you on a line that is pay on boaed?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JonnyB

The new scheme is basically saying passengers should buy at their first opportunity to do so, something that has already been publicised! One thing that will be changing though is places like Frome, that has a TVM and a ticket office (open part time) but is not currently included in the PF scheme - But will be in a couple of weeks.

This is interesting. I frequently travel from Frome station, and obviously wish to stay the right side of the new penalty fare regime which will apply there soon. Normally the ticket office is open when I travel, but it closes mid morning. As mentioned above, there is a self-service ticket machine too, which is reasonably reliable, but it only accepts card payment, and doesn't always offer the ticket(s) I require.

If I travel when the booking office is closed, and I either wish to pay by cash/voucher and/or buy a ticket which the self-service machine is unable to offer, am I still able to buy on board without risking a penalty fare?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If the machine is not accepting your chosen payment method then yes, of course. What else could you do?

If the ticket you need isn't available, the waters are rather muddy. Condition 3 may or may not apply and this has been subject to much discussion in the past. If you have an example in mind (some kind of Rover perhaps), why not email Great Western Customer Relations and see what they say?

island

Veteran Member
A legal precedent has not been established that a passenger who is possessed of both a credit or debit card and sufficient cash each of which he could use to purchase his ticket is excused of the requirement to purchase before boarding in circumstances where the available ticketing facilities accept only cards and the passenger feels like choosing to pay in cash.

A lot of quite fervent assertions have been made that such a passenger is allowed to choose not to use the ticketing facilities and pay cash on board or at the destination. It is not clear that this is legal. (It is also not clear that it is illegal.)

FenMan

Established Member
A legal precedent has not been established that a passenger who is possessed of both a credit or debit card and sufficient cash each of which he could use to purchase his ticket is excused of the requirement to purchase before boarding in circumstances where the available ticketing facilities accept only cards and the passenger feels like choosing to pay in cash.

A lot of quite fervent assertions have been made that such a passenger is allowed to choose not to use the ticketing facilities and pay cash on board or at the destination. It is not clear that this is legal. (It is also not clear that it is illegal.)

GWR neatly get around this issue at stations on the NDL with card only TVMs, as I mentioned here in 2013:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1476154&postcount=52

The notice is still there, albeit somewhat the worse for wear.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It seems like a slightly moot point to me 'legally'. If the passenger demonstrates they have cash and wish to pay with it, can the Railway Company force the passenger to tell them if they have cards or if they could have used them? What evidence do they need to prove that, and how are they going to collect it? It's a point, I agree, but I don't think it's helpful to have a discussion about the legalese that's so removed from what practically can or will happen. Fundamentally it's easy for the company to accept cash at stations, so if they wanted to, they could do.

island

Veteran Member
Fundamentally it's easy for the company to accept cash at stations, so if they wanted to, they could do.

Except it isn't. Cash-accepting TVMs are larger and more expensive, and need someone going around emptying them. They also attract more vandalism.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Except it isn't. Cash-accepting TVMs are larger and more expensive, and need someone going around emptying them. They also attract more vandalism.

I need a huge stamp that says 'Moot Point'. Totally irrelevant to the question, which is does the TOC have the power to inspect the contents of your wallet, which I notice you didn't comment on.

Parallel

Established Member
Interestingly, I was having a look at the new GWR penalty fares poster with a map at BOA station and it lists the Barnstaple line as a "pay on board" line which is fair enough - But it also includes Barnstaple itself, which has a TVM outside the station entrance, as well as an ticket office open for most of the day?

Also, from the GWR website it says:

If you board from a non-penalty fare station you will not be issued with a penalty fare

So in theory, if someone boarded at Barnstaple and walked past two opportunities to pay, they wouldn't receive a penalty fare. Consistency...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is worth noting that to mitigate against the unwanted effect of passengers being charged double the fare on long intercity routes, there is a limit of £150 agreed between GW and the DfT on the price of Penalty Fare charged. For these long journeys, the passenger should be sold the Anytime Single and advised of the Penalty Fares scheme.

TEW

Established Member
DfT have not yet given permission and the new expanded Penalty Fares scheme has not gone live today as planned.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
DfT have not yet given permission and the new expanded Penalty Fares scheme has not gone live today as planned.

Hmm, they really need to be careful with the language they use in staff memos. <(

infobleep

Veteran Member
Any idea when it's due to go live?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.