• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Russel

No difference at all; the /1s were originally going to be ( half as many ) ten car units.

Then they changed to all five cars but the numbering was by then set in stone because the /6 was used for the c2c units.

Why would the C2C units being /6 effect the Greater Anglia units, surly numbering all the the GA units in the 720001 - 720133 series would have made more sense all round?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wls1

I assume it was styled /1 for 10 and /5 for 5 to make it simple, this is the railway once something is set in stone its very difficult to change anything even if it makes sense to change

MCR247

Established Member
Why would the C2C units being /6 effect the Greater Anglia units, surly numbering all the the GA units in the 720001 - 720133 series would have made more sense all round?
As @wls1 said above, originally it was going to be /1 for 10 cars and /5s for 5 cars. When the order was changed to be all 5 cars, c2cs /6s were already ordered. If GA had wanted them all to be /5s, they’d have ran out of numbers and needed to expand into the /6 range

Russel

As @wls1 said above, originally it was going to be /1 for 10 cars and /5s for 5 cars. When the order was changed to be all 5 cars, c2cs /6s were already ordered. If GA had wanted them all to be /5s, they’d have ran out of numbers and needed to expand into the /6 range

Yes, I read what was posted above.

Now, re read what I posted, I suggested they should have all been numbered starting at 720001.

We no have a situation where we have a fleet of identical trains with an inconsistent fleet numbering system.

wagnaga

Now, re read what I posted, I suggested they should have all been numbered starting at 720001.

We no have a situation where we have a fleet of identical trains with an inconsistent fleet numbering system.
I imagine the five car variants had started to be delivered by the time the decision was made to change the ten car variant.

hwl

Established Member

I imagine the five car variants had started to be delivered by the time the decision was made to change the ten car variant.
Correct circa 25 already around at that point...

MCR247

Established Member

The first half of your post was a question. I answered this, expanding on points made previously, as you seemed to not understand. Your suggestion is pretty moot as it has already been explained why what happened happened.

And? Who cares? The numbers aren't having any operational impact, they can all work together and can all be driven by the people that need to drive them, so whats the problem?

Wivenswold

Established Member
Sometimes on the railway it's best not to try to find logic and just work with what you've got.

BigB

Sometimes on the railway it's best not to try to find logic and just work with what you've got.
Invariably there will have been logic applied, it's just that forums are not party to all the available information.... usually when something makes no sense whatsoever the reason is we don't have all the facts that went into the decision making. Of course some of the inputs may have been "unwise" but there would be reasons behind these too.

I can get on a train in Scotland and arrive at a small village in te south after several connections, through several busy bottlenecks, a major global city and still arrive on time. Try that in a car...
So logical to us or not, the railway does "work", just not always as we'd like it.

Busman

The first half of your post was a question. I answered this, expanding on points made previously, as you seemed to not understand. Your suggestion is pretty moot as it has already been explained why what happened happened.

And? Who cares? The numbers aren't having any operational impact, they can all work together and can all be driven by the people that need to drive them, so whats the problem?

I think OCD is the problem.

Doesn't bother me at all as you've suggested but I've never got my head round the 375/377 situation to be honest.

TheHSRailFan

We must be getting to the point where there's more 720s than can be diagrammed.
Personally, I think there should be more services that should be 10 car rather than 5 car, as (especially on the Hertfords) there are still quite a few morning trains that really need the extra 5.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
A number of morning trains from Ely, Cambridge North and Cambridge to Liverpool Street (and evening returns) are crying out to be 10 car and SDO is in place to allow it.

The fastest Cambridge to Liverpool St services seem to be 10 cars these days (xx:15 and xx:45) but they are certainly not fully loaded, partly because they start at Cambridge where faster services are already available, and partly because of their limited stop nature. It's actually the slower trains and shoulder peak services I'd lengthen.

It would be nice to see all peak services on the Ely/Cambridge North/Cambridge to Liverpool St corridor go 10 car!

hwl

Established Member
Personally, I think there should be more services that should be 10 car rather than 5 car, as (especially on the Hertfords) there are still quite a few morning trains that really need the extra 5.
Were all the Hertford branch works completed? or just mostly competed?

The majority of the outstanding units now will be problem ones not recent builds so GA may be a big more cautious about planning improvements until the extra unit have been proven to be reliable in-service...

Bikeman78

Established Member
The 0628 Liverpool Street to Cambridge was well loaded with school kids. Used to fill a pair of 317s and was one of the last booked turns. It's a single 720 now. Must he cosy.

jonb

Established Member
On the GEML side it’s a similar story, some of the morning services (1N03 05:40 Clacton - Liverpool Street), being an example could do with being a 10-car. Ironically, this is followed closely behind from Colchester by 1F07 (06:11 Colchester Town - Liverpool Street, which is formed of 2 x 720’s.

Similarly in the afternoon/evening, 2F68 (15:36 Liverpool Street - Colchester Town), 1Y24 (16:02 Liverpool Street - Ipswich) and 1F32 (16:32 Liverpool Street - Colchester Town), are all 5-cars and regularly at capacity, especially on Tuesdays - Thursdays.

Adrian1980uk

On the GEML side it’s a similar story, some of the morning services (1N03 05:40 Clacton - Liverpool Street), being an example could do with being a 10-car. Ironically, this is followed closely behind from Colchester by 1F07 (06:11 Colchester Town - Liverpool Street, which is formed of 2 x 720’s.

Similarly in the afternoon/evening, 2F68 (15:36 Liverpool Street - Colchester Town), 1Y24 (16:02 Liverpool Street - Ipswich) and 1F32 (16:32 Liverpool Street - Colchester Town), are all 5-cars and regularly at capacity, especially on Tuesdays - Thursdays.
It does sound as though there might not be as many spare 720s as first anticipated

TheHSRailFan

Were all the Hertford branch works completed? or just mostly competed?

The majority of the outstanding units now will be problem ones not recent builds so GA may be a big more cautious about planning improvements until the extra unit have been proven to be reliable in-service...
Ware, Hertford and Broxbourne platform extensions were done.
The signals were moved at a few stations where they can extend the platforms easily but later as planned.

Pretty much the last batch are coming into service now and already are hooked up with other and/or older 720s.

jonb

Established Member
Also to note, on Friday’s many of the GE AM Peak services are reduced to 5-cars within the WTT diagrams, 2N91 being an example which I’m on now ex-Clacton.

wickham

On no ! Not more going to Worksop - what can the matter be now ? Surely thety are not awaiting parts again ?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
On no ! Not more going to Worksop - what can the matter be now ? Surely thety are not awaiting parts again ?
My guess is not finished as in loose ends/snagging or more. Seems 710s were (still-are) being "finished" at Ilford that way.

wickham