• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia fine/settlement offer - please help

keysersoze

I got a settlement letter by GreaterAnglia for 115 pounds after being caught and questioned at London Stansted, I don't think I should be liable for it, and I want to completely refuse to pay it. It's not so much because of the amount, (though I am under universal credit and definitely struggling financially), but because of the circumstances themselves. I'd love to know what others think of it though, and if you have any advice or knowledge on how to approach the matter.

So, one fine early morning, I had booked a bus ticket with National Express, from Stratford to Stansted. Considering where I live, I thought it's the most practical way to get there. But to get to Stratford, I had to take the tube, but it got stuck between two stations for about 15-20 minutes because of a signal failure. Thus, I figured I was gonna miss the bus (it was the earliest tube of the day by the way, so there was no way of starting much earlier than I did) and quickly needed an alternative way to the airport so that I wouldn't miss my flight.

Upon a very stressful search, I figured that my only choice for the time was going by train from Liverpool Street. So I did that, I got on the train, and got to Stansted. On the way, I saw that it makes one stop at Bishop's Stortford before Stansted. I figured that since I had already spent 17 pounds on the other ticket and that it technically wasn't my fault that I missed that bus, it would make sense to pay a smaller fee, so I booked a ticket only for the part of Bishop's Stortford to Stansted. The total amount that I paid was 23 pounds, for both National Express and train, and considering I have a railcard, that's 10 pounds more than what I'd have to pay for only taking the train in first place.

When I got to Stansted, there was this really aggressive lady who asked me where I got on and everything. I'm not sure if I should have said that I got on at Bishop's Stortford, and refuse to give any other information, but as I was very much stressed at that time because of the whole situation, I told the full truth and explained everything showing her my National Express ticket, thinking that she would understand. Her response was: "Yeah but that's not our company, that's a different company. As far as we're concerned, it seems like you were trying to evade the fare".

I'm not British, I have no clue what the transportation companies are. I was under stress, I opened google maps and searched for the quickest way to the airport. For all I knew, they were all connected. And even though I told them the whole truth from the very beginning, and they made me sign that the details I've given them are all accurate, two months later they are threatening to prosecute me for fare evasion. Since another company called TFL ****ed me over in the first place, how about they try prosecuting them instead?

I wonder if anyone has dealt with them in the past and has any advice for challenging the fine, if it's worth remaining truthful saying I refuse to pay for it considering the entire circumstances (that's what I'd like to do ideally), or even change what I orignally said and just claim that I boarded at Bishop's Stortford. Or if you think that doing anything other than paying would only be to my detriment.

Apologies for the rant, any word of advice would be very deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@keysersoze. Welcome to the forum.

So, basically, you got the train from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport, and tried to exit at the airport station using a less expensive ticket only valid from Bishops Stortford?

Why do you think that's o.k. and that you shouldn't be liable?

keysersoze

@keysersoze. Welcome to the forum.

So, basically, you got the train from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport, and tried to exit at the airport station using a less expensive ticket only valid from Bishops Stortford?

Why do you think that's o.k. and that you shouldn't be liable?
Because as I explained, I had proof that I had bought another full ticket from London to Stansted Airport for the same time with National Express, for 17 pounds. I missed the opportunity to use that, due to TFL. The ticket for the part that I bought from Bishop's Stortford was 6 pounds, so I paid 23 pounds in total, versus the 13 pounds that would have cost me to just buy the full train ticket from the beginning.
I think this should be enough proof that I was not trying to evade the fare. I simply thought that the system was connected, and they would understand I had already paid more than I would have in the first place under normal circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

furlong

Established Member
Pay the settlement - other alternatives will cost you much more in the end both in terms of money and stress.

Next time consider taking out travel insurance. Write to TfL (but not in the terms you posted on here - just focussed on the delay and missing the coach not mentioning what you now know counts as fare evasion) and you might get a token amount of money back.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I think this should be enough proof that I was not trying to evade the fare. I simply thought that the system was connected, and they would understand I had already paid more than I would have in the first place under normal circumstances
National Express is a private company operating buses. It’s absolutely nothing to do with the rail network, and even if it was, I think it’s stretching credibility, wherever you come from, to suggest that you thought you were legally entitled to avoid the full fare for the rail journey taken.

You were caught “short faring”, and are best advised to pay up before it becomes even more expensive for you. If it goes to court, you will not get a sympathetic hearing by the magistrate.

alholmes

As you’ve been offered a settlement you should pay it. You have no valid grounds for appeal. If you fail to pay it will go to court - you will be found guilty, and will end up paying more than £115, and have a criminal record.

ikcdab

Its too easy to hide behind the "Im noit British so I dont understand" yet you knew enough to short fare from Bishops Stortford - you knew the train would stop there.
You only sensible course of action now is to pay the settlement and move on. Any other action is likely to get you deeper into trouble and be far more complex to sort out.
If you get taken to court (which is what will happen if you don't pay) then you will be convicted and gain a criminal conviction, which you probably don't want.

keysersoze

Its too easy to hide behind the "Im noit British so I dont understand" yet you knew enough to short fare from Bishops Stortford - you knew the train would stop there.
You only sensible course of action now is to pay the settlement and move on. Any other action is likely to get you deeper into trouble and be far more complex to sort out.
If you get taken to court (which is what will happen if you don't pay) then you will be convicted and gain a criminal conviction, which you probably don't want.
I live in London, I didn't say I don't understand. I did say I don't know the difference between National Express and each individual train company, as it would make sense if they are one big system. Sorry, but I do believe that's quite a reasonable thing not to know if you're not British, or even if you simply don't take trains much.

And with those exorbitant prices for a single trip to the airport, I'd totally justify fare evasion by the way, I'm not at all acting innocent here. But in this case, since I could show that I'd already paid 23 pounds, I thought it would be obvious enough that I wasn't trying to do that.

Anyways, thank you all.

Just out of curiosity, if I had said I got on at Bishop's Stortford, would this whole thing have been avoided?

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
And with those exorbitant prices for a single trip to the airport, I'd totally justify fare evasion by the way,
Justifying a criminal act (deliberate fare evasion) on the basis that you consider the fare to an airport is too high is unlikely to find you any sympathy either within the legal system (hence the consistent advice to settle) or indeed on here.

keysersoze

Justifying a criminal act (deliberate fare evasion) on the basis that you consider the fare to an airport is too high is unlikely to find you any sympathy either within the legal system (hence the consistent advice to settle) or indeed on here.
Well, I believe there are varying degrees to criminal acts. I'm just saying that personally I would understand someone who attempts to do that, especially if they are struggling.
If I was going for that, I would have lied in the first place when questioned about it. I don't know about sympathy, I personally do my best not to judge :)
I get it though, I will definitely go for the settlement and I really do appreciate the advice!

WesternLancer

Established Member
I got a settlement letter by GreaterAnglia for 115 pounds after being caught and questioned at London Stansted, I don't think I should be liable for it, and I want to completely refuse to pay it. It's not so much because of the amount, (though I am under universal credit and definitely struggling financially), but because of the circumstances themselves. I'd love to know what others think of it though, and if you have any advice or knowledge on how to approach the matter.

So, one fine early morning, I had booked a bus ticket with National Express, from Stratford to Stansted. Considering where I live, I thought it's the most practical way to get there. But to get to Stratford, I had to take the tube, but it got stuck between two stations for about 15-20 minutes because of a signal failure. Thus, I figured I was gonna miss the bus (it was the earliest tube of the day by the way, so there was no way of starting much earlier than I did) and quickly needed an alternative way to the airport so that I wouldn't miss my flight.

Upon a very stressful search, I figured that my only choice for the time was going by train from Liverpool Street. So I did that, I got on the train, and got to Stansted. On the way, I saw that it makes one stop at Bishop's Stortford before Stansted. I figured that since I had already spent 17 pounds on the other ticket and that it technically wasn't my fault that I missed that bus, it would make sense to pay a smaller fee, so I booked a ticket only for the part of Bishop's Stortford to Stansted. The total amount that I paid was 23 pounds, for both National Express and train, and considering I have a railcard, that's 10 pounds more than what I'd have to pay for only taking the train in first place.

When I got to Stansted, there was this really aggressive lady who asked me where I got on and everything. I'm not sure if I should have said that I got on at Bishop's Stortford, and refuse to give any other information, but as I was very much stressed at that time because of the whole situation, I told the full truth and explained everything showing her my National Express ticket, thinking that she would understand. Her response was: "Yeah but that's not our company, that's a different company. As far as we're concerned, it seems like you were trying to evade the fare".

I'm not British, I have no clue what the transportation companies are. I was under stress, I opened google maps and searched for the quickest way to the airport. For all I knew, they were all connected. And even though I told them the whole truth from the very beginning, and they made me sign that the details I've given them are all accurate, two months later they are threatening to prosecute me for fare evasion. Since another company called TFL ****ed me over in the first place, how about they try prosecuting them instead?

I wonder if anyone has dealt with them in the past and has any advice for challenging the fine, if it's worth remaining truthful saying I refuse to pay for it considering the entire circumstances (that's what I'd like to do ideally), or even change what I orignally said and just claim that I boarded at Bishop's Stortford. Or if you think that doing anything other than paying would only be to my detriment.

Apologies for the rant, any word of advice would be very deeply appreciated.
You do have my sympathy regarding the disruption you encountered.

But you are best advised to pay the settlement offer.

Or if you think that doing anything other than paying would only be to my detriment.
Yes, doing anything other than paying would be to your detriment.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I recommend you pay the settlement otherwise the case will end up in court where you would lose, and the fine and court costs would be much more than what you are being asked to pay now.

Just out of curiosity, if I had said I got on at Bishop's Stortford, would this whole thing have been avoided?
No, it wouldn't as you genuinely didn't board at Bishop Stortford. You had no ticket to travel by train between Stratford and Bishops Stortford.