• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia laser eye surgery conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’m hoping to be starting soon as a trainee train driver with Greater Anglia and I never thought it would be an issue that I have had laser eye surgery before, but I’m slightly concerned I may fail the medical. I’d hate to get that far and fail at the final hurdle for something that has improved my quality of life and improved my eyesight. I had the surgery done about 2 and a half years ago and it was the less complicated LASIK surgery. I have had no complications whatsoever since the surgery.

Can anyone who works for greater Anglia shed any light on what there conditions are for new Trainee train drivers who have had laser eye surgery. Or if someone has joined as a trainee train driver for GA who has had the surgery I would really like to hear your experiences. Lying on the day is not something I’m considering by the way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The One

I’m sure if wrong I will be corrected on this, but I don’t think you are allowed to have had laser treatment and drive trains I don’t think it’s down to the company, I do believe it’s part of the medical procedure across the board

But I’m only going by what I have heard but sure I will be corrected if wrong on this.

Good luck with your new career

ArchangelA

I’m sure if wrong I will be corrected on this, but I don’t think you are allowed to have had laser treatment and drive trains I don’t think it’s down to the company, I do believe it’s part of the medical procedure across the board

But I’m only going by what I have heard but sure I will be corrected if wrong on this.

Good luck with your new career
Some TOCS do allow laser surgery provided no underlying conditions exist. Those that disallow it usually say so on the job advert (for example West Midlands Trains). Best to check with the TOC HR dept if unsure, or with the medical examiner/occupational health.

whoosh

Established Member
The railway used to say no to laser eye surgery. Now it seems to say no if you are already employed, but if you've already had it done quite a while ago and the effects are known and stable, you have more chance. They don't like potentially paying you for unproductive time off whilst that happens, or risking you having problems with the surgery.

As the risky period is now behind you, you *may* find they won't take issue if you can demonstrate everything is fine at a medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.