• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - London Norwich - Catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

Is there a full restaurant car with cooked breakfast etc ?

Looking to take the children for a full day up near Norwich, this would convince me to leave the car at home.

Best regards

Alex

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
No - there are extra breakfast items for sale on certain trains but not an at-seat restaurant service:

Enhanced breakfast service

We now operate an “enhanced” breakfast service on the 0648 from Norwich & 0900 from London, this will be Monday – Friday, and the 0800 from Norwich and 10.30 from London on Saturdays. The above trial breakfast service (currently on the 0648/0900) will be moved onto the 0800/1030 service Mon - Saturday as from 24th June.

There will be a chef on board who will be preparing breakfast style baguettes, croissants, and toasted sandwiches. These will be available across the bar only (no at seat / table service) the prices and dishes available as below.

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/your-journey/catering

broadgage

Thanks - That sounds miserable - Car and a picnic it is.

It is miserable !

Not that long ago they offered a full restaurant service, but no more unfortunatly, this is known as progress.

FGW are now the only TOC to offer a full silver service restaurant, and that is confined to 3 trains a day in each direction.
Very good though on those few FGW services.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
dedicated restaurant cars mean less seats available for "normal" use.

Pugwash

dedicated restaurant cars mean less seats available for "normal" use.

I can't imagine the service being that busy mid morning / afternoon in the week, there will certainly be 3 less travellers one day in the summer.

Be3G

Established Member
It's not the same as a restaurant car I know, but you could always pick up hot food provisions from Liverpool Street station before boarding the train, as there're lots of eateries there. In my opinion, it's still more pleasant to sit on a train with a big table eating one's breakfast than eating from one's lap in a car!

387star

On Moderation
Anglia Railways won awards for its locally sourced catering

Established Member
Well I can think of quite a few journies of less than 2 hours that would love to have such a 'miserable' catering offering. Still if the M11 / A11 (or worse A12 / A14 / A140) is your thing then good luck.

I finally caught up with the travelling chef last Saturday. Saussage baguette is not exactly the height of gourmet cuisine but perfectly fine none the less. Seemed to be doing a good trade too.

Status
Not open for further replies.