• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
Can't help thinking they've scrimped on the number of units ordered for the Norwich services to help deliver total fleet replacement.
Really the 170s don't need replacing and I dare say some of the EMUs don't either. Understand all the arguments about a common fleet (but that doesn't totally hold water with a load of 720s ordered). But all those new trains have to be paid for, and why replace perfectly good stuff well before it's required? Could have saved a few quid and ordered another couple of sets for the Norwich and Stansted services.
the 170s being replaced means they're going to TfW in October :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well yes, but that doesn't mean the 755s that replace them are free!
No but it's not the TOC buying them new, that's the responsibility of the ROSCO. All the TOC do, other than of course the costs of training staff to work with new units and so on, is pay the lease costs. I believe part of the reason the 379s are being replaced is that the lease costs for the 745s are actually lower, due to the 379s having been financed at a time when the economy was less healthy than now. One does wonder, on that basis, if new stock orders will suddenly dry up after the big B-word starts to have an effect on the economy.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Something I hadn't thought about until now but where are the Stansted 745s stabling overnight? Orient Way seems likely but does it have enough security to ensure the units don't get regular new livery amendments?
At the moment seven of the Stansted sets stable at Orient Way overnight with the other two coming from Ilford. In total there are 14 sets of units stabled overnight at Orient Way.

trebor79

Established Member
Interesting to see there's only 1 accessible toilet, contrary to the rantings of someone a few posts ago (who thought it was a waste of space). In fact only 2 bogs in total, both in the same coach. Seems about right for a regional unit.
Also wondering what the stars mean.

To get my crayons out for a moment, it would be great if they could squeeze a vending machine in...

dazzler

Stars = tip-up seats perhaps? Numbers tally from a quick squint on the PDF.

Judging from the location of the seats with asterisks on, I would say that they are more likely to be priority seats. Especially as they have a greater clearance to the adjacent seats than the other ones.

Wivenswold

Established Member
At the moment seven of the Stansted sets stable at Orient Way overnight with the other two coming from Ilford. In total there are 14 sets of units stabled overnight at Orient Way.
Thank you John, I had no idea that Orient Way was used at night. I stupidly based that on the old Stratford sidings which became a hotspot for graffiti even during the day.

dk1

Veteran Member
Thank you John, I had no idea that Orient Way was used at night. I stupidly based that on the old Stratford sidings which became a hotspot for graffiti even during the day.
Thornton Fields. That's long been the Olympic Park. Last train used to leave there about 18:00. Orient Way was built with Olympic Delivery funding & has more facilities. Unfortunately it's not a secure site either therefore still suffering from attacks.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Thornton Fields. That's long been the Olympic Park. Last train used to leave there about 18:00. Orient Way was built with Olympic Delivery funding & has more facilities. Unfortunately it's not a secure site either therefore still suffering from attacks.
Thank you DK1, really appreciated.

Class 170101

Established Member

Really? Orient Way looks more secure than Thornton Fields ever did.

dk1

Veteran Member
Really? Orient Way looks more secure than Thornton Fields ever did.
Might look it but there's an part that had to be left open for freight locos to run round & could not be permanently secured. Far better than the dump that was Thornton Fields but by still not 100%.

It appears to have been a bad day for the hard pressed rural units.

There have been train fault cancellations on the Wherry Lines plus an Ipswich-Peterborough diagram has been cancelled throughout the afternoon and this evening. In addition the Marks Tey to Sudbury unit broke down this morning and was replaced by a 153 also the 06:41 and 07:27 Lowestoft to Ipswich services were replaced by a 153.

Hopefully today will be as bad as it gets with the existing fleet.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Very poor service from Abellio again today.

There's at least one 12 car service that is short-formed to 4 cars today as well, they're at least one local hauled service down which is being worked by a pair of dusty bins and the local services have seen massive levels of overcrowding with 153s deputising for 3 car 170s and some just plain cancelled.

It's unacceptable performance and I'm very close to just driving and claiming the expenses rather than using the train. One of the benefits of using the train for DMU operated services is I can work but the sheer nature of the overcrowding or cancellations just means I'm hanging around at stations, having to take scenic routes or not having any space to work.

The poor reliability of rolling stock across all types of train and fleets on GA has been a serious issue over the last 12-18 months, I'm not sure if it's the result of having an ED who has only 2 years experience in the Rail Industry, or the fact they've simply just cut right back on maintenance for stock that is soon to be replaced. Either way it's totally unacceptable, but don't expect GA Customer Service to care, they just spin you a line about New Trains rather than explaining why their existing stock reliability has almost fell off a cliff.

What is good though, is that they've finally acted and have taken decisive action by changing the engineering director with effect of later this month with one who has lots of experience in the rail industry. Hopefully once he gets his feet under the table things will start to improve.

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
Very poor service from Abellio again today.

There's at least one 12 car service that is short-formed to 4 cars today as well, they're at least one local hauled service down which is being worked by a pair of dusty bins and the local services have seen massive levels of overcrowding with 153s deputising for 3 car 170s and some just plain cancelled.

It's unacceptable performance and I'm very close to just driving and claiming the expenses rather than using the train. One of the benefits of using the train for DMU operated services is I can work but the sheer nature of the overcrowding or cancellations just means I'm hanging around at stations, having to take scenic routes or not having any space to work.

The poor reliability of rolling stock across all types of train and fleets on GA has been a serious issue over the last 12-18 months, I'm not sure if it's the result of having an ED who has only 2 years experience in the Rail Industry, or the fact they've simply just cut right back on maintenance for stock that is soon to be replaced. Either way it's totally unacceptable, but don't expect GA Customer Service to care, they just spin you a line about New Trains rather than explaining why their existing stock reliability has almost fell off a cliff.

What is good though, is that they've finally acted and have taken decisive action by changing the engineering director with effect of later this month with one who has lots of experience in the rail industry. Hopefully once he gets his feet under the table things will start to improve.
oh no, don't tell me the 170s will be bags of bolts when TfW get them in October...

cambsy

On Moderation
For the 90 minute timing, London-Norwich services to be flirt operated by May20th, what exactly needs to be completed and signed off etc? How many units will need to be passed for passenger use and how many train crew trained to operate the initial service? What’s likely to be the major stumbling block in getting the flirts ready for the 20th May?

Wivenswold

Established Member
So, has anyone got any news, sightings or even canteen gossip about the 720s? Have any reached Old Dalby yet?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Last I officially heard was almost a couple of weeks ago when I was told they are on time, but I took that with two massive containers of salt.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Is JourneyCheck working for anyone this morning?

It's showing 0 for everything at present which is obviously not an accurate reflection unless a miracle has happened.

It works intermittently.

Not a pretty sight this morning when it does work. The 09:00 Norwich to London is a four car bin which is full and standing from Diss.

Status
Not open for further replies.