• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Greater Anglia are Changing every train over the next two years.

Emphasis on the word changing will tell you what will happen , when you compare it to the wording they used over 12 months ago which contained the word new which has now been removed.

Wivenswold

Established Member
To be expected, FGE, it's become an open secret that some of the existing stock will have to be retained at least in the medium term to say 2022/23 while GA lobby DfT and NR for infrastructure improvements. The smart money being on the 379s being kept.

Bikeman78

Established Member
No, they have 21. There are only 19 even numbered units after 365526 was written off at Potters Bar.
Yes indeed so there are 19 spare. Even with my dodgy maths, there aren't enough to wipe out all the 317s so it's probably not worth the hassle.

Wivenswold

Established Member
A Class 720/5 has been observed running under its own power on the Old Dalby test track. Progress and all that.

dk1

Veteran Member
Latest gossip in the messroom is that the 37 short-hauled set will remain until August & possibly even October.

Railperf

Established Member
Latest gossip in the messroom is that the 37 short-hauled set will remain until August & possibly even October.
Really? Why that long? Is it staying to cover potential teething issues with the 755's or are they likely to be delayed entering service until then?

On Moderation
Could be anything really. Nobody seems to know why.
Could be that they are releasing the 170s (to TfW) and 156s (rumoured to EMR) first and that keeping the hauled set gives some contingency.

dk1

Veteran Member
Could be that they are releasing the 170s (to TfW) and 156s (rumoured to EMR) first and that keeping the hauled set gives some contingency.
No that's definatley not the case. Nothing will leave early. Sounds like a safety net if anything.

Rick1984

That'll be quite surreal, a class 37 set working the same route as a shiny new Flirt

Railperf

Established Member
That'll be quite surreal, a class 37 set working the same route as a shiny new Flirt
We all know the FLIRT units will accelerate like the proverbial .. in electric mode. I'm guessing 0-100mph in 90 to 100 secs..or at least I am hoping they will. The interest is how they will perform in diesel mode. Especially the two different variants. I wonder how long before they spec an extra engine or two into the 3-car 755's?
it will be quite embarrassing if a new 755 gets out accelerated by a pair of 50 year old 37's !

RailWonderer

Established Member
The only problem with leaping from such old inferior rolling stock to new high tech state of the art accelerating stock is the timings.
When 387s replaced turbos the acceleration and 100mph instead of 90 meant the new trains gained so much time they loitered (and still do) at every station for up to 3 minutes sometimes.
The timings and entire diagrams for that matter, will need to be reconfigured, and if they only wait for a timetable recast that could mean irritating waiting at platforms in a Stadler that is timed to a class 37.

Railperf

Established Member
The only problem with leaping from such old inferior rolling stock to new high tech state of the art accelerating stock is the timings.
When 387s replaced turbos the acceleration and 100mph instead of 90 meant the new trains gained so much time they loitered (and still do) at every station for up to 3 minutes sometimes.
The timings and entire diagrams for that matter, will need to be reconfigured, and if they only wait for a timetable recast that could mean irritating waiting at platforms in a Stadler that is timed to a class 37.
It is well documented in other parts of the forum that the GWR timetable is due for reworking now that there are enough Class 800's and 387's in service. The new faster timetable is planned for December 2019. In the meantime, early running by the new trains continues.

I imagine a similar thing will occur in Anglia. During a period of transition where new and older trains are running together on the same tracks, it is unlikely the timetable will change. And yes - unless the newer trains start catching up the older ones in front, there is the chance that any superior performance gains will see them running earlier than if in the hands of older trains.
I would hope the newer trains would replace Class 317's, 321's and 315's first, leaving the 360's and 379's to soldier on until the end.
I guess it could be possible to introduce a faster timetable with the 360's and 379's around because they are pretty good performers.
Probably unlikely we will see a new faster timetable for 18 to 24 months yet.
The crucial core from Liverpool Street to Shenfield requires most trains to be performing at the same level - as the headways are quite tight.

If the Class 800's in diesel mode are an indicator of what to expect, i could imagine the FLIRT units in diesel mode to be pretty sprightly at the lower end of the speed range - say 0-30mph, but above that I would guess a pair of 37's on full power with a 3-coach load would power away...but we shall see!

delticdave

It is well documented in other parts of the forum that the GWR timetable is due for reworking now that there are enough Class 800's and 387's in service. The new faster timetable is planned for December 2019. In the meantime, early running by the new trains continues.

I imagine a similar thing will occur in Anglia. During a period of transition where new and older trains are running together on the same tracks, it is unlikely the timetable will change. And yes - unless the newer trains start catching up the older ones in front, there is the chance that any superior performance gains will see them running earlier than if in the hands of older trains.
I would hope the newer trains would replace Class 317's, 321's and 315's first, leaving the 360's and 379's to soldier on until the end.
I guess it could be possible to introduce a faster timetable with the 360's and 379's around because they are pretty good performers.
Probably unlikely we will see a new faster timetable for 18 to 24 months yet.
The crucial core from Liverpool Street to Shenfield requires most trains to be performing at the same level - as the headways are quite tight.

If the Class 800's in diesel mode are an indicator of what to expect, i could imagine the FLIRT units in diesel mode to be pretty sprightly at the lower end of the speed range - say 0-30mph, but above that I would guess a pair of 37's on full power with a 3-coach load would power away...but we shall see!

Interesting thought...........

AFAIK the class 37 short set weighs in at circa 305 tons & the 2 diesel engines are rated at 1305 kW each, so 2610 kW.

Ignoring the extra drag of the 24 axles compared to the 12 axles under a 4-car Flirt, the installed power of 1920 kW from
it's 4 diesel engines might have the better power-to-weight ratio. But, I can't find definitive weights for the Flirt other than an educated guess of app .180-182 tons.

Anyone here with the correct info?

Cheers, DC.

Railperf

Established Member
Interesting thought...........

AFAIK the class 37 short set weighs in at circa 305 tons & the 2 diesel engines are rated at 1305 kW each, so 2610 kW.

Ignoring the extra drag of the 24 axles compared to the 12 axles under a 4-car Flirt, the installed power of 1920 kW from
it's 4 diesel engines might have the better power-to-weight ratio. But, I can't find definitive weights for the Flirt other than an educated guess of app .180-182 tons.

Anyone here with the correct info?

Cheers, DC.
I was thinking more of the 3 car set with only 2 engines!

sleeper fan

On Moderation
The ORR has just authorised the 24 755s for service but it says online somewhere that they need an s-section thing what does that mean? Can they be put into passenger service yet or not?

trebor79

Established Member
No, the letter says that they can't be put into passenger service yet, until the conditions are met.

Sprinter153

Given AGA reached an agreement on Driver Controlled Operation with the RMT, is it known whether the Flirts will enter service in DCO mode, i.e. with the driver controlling the opening and closing of the doors, or whether there will be a transition period where doors are operated by the (Senior) Conductor in locations where that is already the case?

sleeper fan

On Moderation
Given AGA reached an agreement on Driver Controlled Operation with the RMT, is it known whether the Flirts will enter service in DCO mode, i.e. with the driver controlling the opening and closing of the doors, or whether there will be a transition period where doors are operated by the (Senior) Conductor in locations where that is already the case?
Why can GA make an agreement with new train but SWR cant with the 444s...would have through the RMT would want to strike at GA because DCO removes the 'safty' aspect but seems not seems as if new trains are ok but current ones aren't. Logic=none (Nothing personal against you BTW just a general comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.