• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to that letter
4 trains off lease, returned
1 train damaged by collision with deer
11 trains accepted into service

Still rolling stock shortages

Therefore at least SEVEN trains damaged by collisions with trees

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
There might be 11 FLIRTS accepted into service of the new fleet, however on a daily basis there seems to be a fair few short of that actually in service.

This morning at least three diagrams booked to be a FLIRT appear to be being operated by the legacy fleet and the first train of the day from Cambridge to Norwich was cancelled.

Also the Sudbury line issue seems to have been resolved, sorted by simply swapping a 156 with a 153 elsewhere so more shifting the problem somewhere else - be curious if they keep doing this shuffling every few days.

samuelmorris

Established Member
According to that letter
4 trains off lease, returned
1 train damaged by collision with deer
11 trains accepted into service

Still rolling stock shortages

Therefore at least SEVEN trains damaged by collisions with trees
I highly doubt that's the case. It'll be more like 2 or 3 damaged, and the remaining shortfall is because although 11 755s are accepted into service, nowhere near that many are fit for service. That's fairly common with new fleet introductions.

Journey check has two coaches instead of four short forms on the East Suffolk this evening.

Along with Sheringham, not quite here yet.

I highly doubt that's the case. It'll be more like 2 or 3 damaged, and the remaining shortfall is because although 11 755s are accepted into service, nowhere near that many are fit for service. That's fairly common with new fleet introductions.

A 170 had a damaged windscreen during August and should have been back in service a while back.

A 156 received significant damage earlier in the summer after colliding with a tree (near Wymondham?). Regardless, it returned into service a couple of months back. The only part of that statement I am currently believing is that 170204 has recently returned to Crown Point after hitting a herd of deer.

Any corrections to the above I will appreciate as not believing your local TOC is not a good thing.

samuelmorris

Established Member
A 170 had a damaged windscreen during August and should have been back in service a while back.

A 156 received significant damage earlier in the summer after colliding with a tree (near Wymondham?). Regardless, it returned into service a couple of months back. The only part of that statement I am currently believing is that 170204 has recently returned to Crown Point after hitting a herd of deer.
At this time of year, could there be any out for wheelflats? Not the excuse they gave, but unavailable stock nonetheless.

stonojnr

I note from the service alterations in December, they are claiming they will be running 12 carriage trains at the weekends for Christmas shoppers on the Colchester/Ipswich/Norwich to London route, which as a result due to platform and train length then wont be stopping at Romford...albeit Platform 4 at Ipswich will be out of action the first Saturday, so Colchester is the start/termination for all the local to London services instead.

dk1

Veteran Member
I note from the service alterations in December, they are claiming they will be running 12 carriage trains at the weekends for Christmas shoppers on the Colchester/Ipswich/Norwich to London route, which as a result due to platform and train length then wont be stopping at Romford...albeit Platform 4 at Ipswich will be out of action the first Saturday, so Colchester is the start/termination for all the local to London services instead.
Sounds just right. Romford not cleared for 12-car operation yet so keeping the majority of punters happy on the route concerned.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I note from the service alterations in December, they are claiming they will be running 12 carriage trains at the weekends for Christmas shoppers on the Colchester/Ipswich/Norwich to London route,.

The chances of that happening are debatable, because it will either involve them running the class 745s, or running 12 car legacy EMUs, which they're not going to have the stock for, based on current shortages unless they increase 4 car EMU working.

dk1

Veteran Member
The chances of that happening are debatable, because it will either involve them running the class 745s, or running 12 car legacy EMUs, which they're not going to have the stock for, based on current shortages unless they increase 4 car EMU working.
But it's weekends. Been done so many times. Just means skipping Romford.

stonojnr

20mph? Was there no working emergency headlamp onboard? All 170s should carry one.

Ive no idea it was just whatever the top speed it could manage or we were allowed to run at given it was stuck limping home, it was doubly annoying as it was the same train I got up there and you could tell on the journey up there it had some kind of mechanical problem as it was really struggling to pull away from station stops and dropped about 10-15mins overall journey time without any obvious stoppage delays, but it did at least an out and back again, and just happened to be the same one I caught heading back.

but with a different driver who was just starting his shift though, and we left Peterborough 10mins late because it just wouldnt move,or the driver wasnt happy to move it with a sensor reading or something like that, but finally when it got going it just limped along much slower than before it really didnt want to go any quicker, they even turned off the interior lights and air con to try and eek more power out of it (though Ive no idea how that helped) but eventually they gave up at Stowmarket and parked it on the Norwich bound platform, so we could at least swap to a London bound IC. but took at least 3hrs-4hrs to get back to Ipswich.

Terry Tait

I find it very strange that a tree has damaged a DMU in summer, trees near the railway need better management

Rick1984

It was quite odd going from the new sidings beside Crown Point being full of shinny new Flirts to having multiple Mkiii carriages. Quite a few 1st class I noticed on Sunday

ashkeba

Established Member
If it was 745s, could they serve Romford with selective door opening? I expect it to be big bin days.

dk1

Veteran Member
It was quite odd going from the new sidings beside Crown Point being full of shinny new Flirts to having multiple Mkiii carriages. Quite a few 1st class I noticed on Sunday
There is limited access to the Wensum sidings. Makes sense to store stock that's not going to be used there.

dk1

Veteran Member
If it was 745s, could they serve Romford with selective door opening? I expect it to be big bin days.
Yes but IC services will never call at Romford. 720s will have ASDO as far as I'm aware. Platforms here have been partially extended in readiness for 9-car TFL operation, however it is not in use as yet.

Last edited:

MrPIC

Yes but IC services will never call at Romford. 720s will have ASDO as far as I'm aware. Platforms here have been partially extended in readiness for 9-car TFL operation, however it is not in use as yet.
At this point, never say never lol

Bikeman78

Established Member
The new traction equipment is actually more reliable and not the problem and needs less maintenance
I don't think the traction motors have ever been the weak point on EMUs/locos. The only time I've experienced a problem was in Belgium where smoke started coming from one of the DC motors. Still made it to Antwerp only a few minutes late.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Yes and not just over the MK3 fleet either. There's been EMU services that have lost a whole unit which are not showing up as short forms as well. I suspect there might be DMUs as well where similar is happening but I haven't been on the local network to know for sure.

The other thing I've noticed is 'long forms' services which have had their unit allocation reduced by 4 cars, then stated on JourneyCheck that they have had 4 cars more instead, which is the actual number it had before they recently changed.

Clearly the huge numbers on JourneyCheck were not portraying a good image of the company so something had to be done. The best thing about JourneyCheck is that it is transparent with such things but that clearly is something that is a bad thing to an operator who is short forming 3 figures of trains every day.

Seems that as well as well as the fact that GA have reduced the specified number of carriages on many services so the services don't show as short formed, they have now found another trick to use for services that are still short formed even from the reduced number of carriages allocated.

Train formation updates on JourneyCheck no longer show the originally booked number of carriages when they have been short formed, now we're seeing stuff like
Facilities on the 12:58 Norwich to Lowestoft due 13:35.
Will be formed of 2 coaches.

Facilities on the 14:05 Norwich to Lowestoft due 14:50.
Will be formed of 1 coach.

Facilities on the 11:17 Great Yarmouth to Norwich due 11:52.
Will be formed of 1 coach.

If only they were as good at actually project management as they were good at spin, then we might have less problems than there are at the moment, but instead Greater Anglia are less and less transparent and are far more concerned with their image than the likes of us passengers.

The DFT needs to strengthen future franchise agreements to prevent this kind of thing and fiddling with statistics and require all operators to transparently declare short forms and also ensure that operators who cannot deliver what they promised are held to account for this rather than trying to make the capacity cuts that have occurred as a consequence less transparent.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Seems that as well as well as the fact that GA have reduced the specified number of carriages on many services so the services don't show as short formed, they have now found another trick to use for services that are still short formed even from the reduced number of carriages allocated.

Train formation updates on JourneyCheck no longer show the originally booked number of carriages when they have been short formed, now we're seeing stuff like

If only they were as good at actually project management as they were good at spin, then we might have less problems than there are at the moment, but instead Greater Anglia are less and less transparent and are far more concerned with their image than the likes of us passengers.

The DFT needs to strengthen future franchise agreements to prevent this kind of thing and fiddling with statistics and require all operators to transparently declare short forms and also ensure that operators who cannot deliver what they promised are held to account for this rather than trying to make the capacity cuts that have occurred as a consequence less transparent.
Is this information all manually typed though? You may be right, but it could also be since the number of carriages the service is supposed to have was revised, the system isn't displaying what that number should otherwise be.

As much as I agree that deception is bad, putting it in the franchise agreement is meaningless because franchise agreements aren't enforced in any way. GA have completed almost none of their franchise obligations and seemingly have no intention of fulfilling some of them from what I've read - why would this be any different? In my opinion a separate requirement for all TOCs should be set, not just GA, to specify minimum target levels of punctuality, facility availability (particularly PRM facilities) and capacity (i.e. target maximum number of short forms). If/when TOCs fail to meet those, on any given day they should be hit with similar penalties to delay minutes but also should have to make the statistics for such public to discourage it from being allowed to happen in the first place.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Is this information all manually typed though? You may be right, but it could also be since the number of carriages the service is supposed to have was revised, the system isn't displaying what that number should otherwise be.

As much as I agree that deception is bad, putting it in the franchise agreement is meaningless because franchise agreements aren't enforced in any way. GA have completed almost none of their franchise obligations and seemingly have no intention of fulfilling some of them from what I've read - why would this be any different? In my opinion a separate requirement for all TOCs should be set, not just GA, to specify minimum target levels of punctuality, facility availability (particularly PRM facilities) and capacity (i.e. target maximum number of short forms). If/when TOCs fail to meet those, on any given day they should be hit with similar penalties to delay minutes but also should have to make the statistics for such public to discourage it from being allowed to happen in the first place.

If it's manually typed or not really doesn't bother me, it's just the fact that we all know that the reporting section of the Greater Anglia website cannot be trusted and grossly under reports short forms, they've reduced allocations so the short forms previously reported on services for weeks/months no longer show (which seemed to happen just as there was an increase of people complaining at high numbers of short formed serviced on JourneyCheck) and now when short forms happen they're not even showing how short they are. All this stinks of a self serving attitude and a company that is more interested in protecting it's own image rather than being transparent about the issues and delays.

For all of the spin, taking credit for work of others, defensiveness, crafty ways of changing less favourable statistics, blaming of everyone other than themselves, Greater Anglia haven't even uttered a single coherent word of apology over the last number of months to their customers or to explain the current situation and the obvious delays in the roll-out of the new stock and the resulting ropey service. They just carry on in their own little bubble like everything is rosy, since to borrow and tweak a Jeremy Corbyn phrase, it feels like the senior management believe that the company is 'run for me, not for you' and image is the most important thing.

You are right though that there are breaches of franchise all over the place and Greater Anglia are far from the only operator to be doing it. Many of the things about fleet availability, punctuality and short forms are actually reported on and there are franchise targets for these things. However the way things are reported is clearly insufficient or operators have found a way around them, because Greater Anglia claim they are only short forming 1 service a day on their network in October which is hilarious and tells you all you need to know about the inadequacies of the way these figures are reported if GA are able to get away with reporting figures such as that, which clearly have no basis on reality to what is happening in reality as we have all seen on JourneyCheck.

Generally I'm not one of those big critics at privatisation like many on this forum, but when you see such a dysfunctional DFT where they award people franchises with over-ambitious bids over and over again, who time and time again cannot deliver the goods, with the DFT then sitting back and basically letting them get away with it, it's pretty hard to defend the current industry. This whole practice then just encourages the realistic bidders to be more unrealistic in the future to create a vicious circle in the knowledge they don't need to deliver half what they promised and the passengers lose out because they don't see the improvements they deserve. Simply it isn't working at the moment and I hope the forthcoming changes really fix a lot of these issues but I don't hold my breath.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Also why are services still being cancelled on West Anglia after someone being hit by a train before lunchtime? I can understand they will be disrupted for a few hours, but this is still going on? I assume that it's either a shortage of drivers to replace the one who had to go through the awful prospect of hitting someone who must be very shaken up, or simply a lack of stock?

Just a normal day for the loco hauled sets that I have travelled on today. Accessable toilets both present but both out of order. One set with only three working toilets and another with a coach with electrical supply problems with no lights (been an occasional issue for as long as I can recall). First class coach missing on one set also.

I can’t wait for the 745s to take over.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Shame as if they were maintained properly* they would be amazing.

*Yes I know that it's not cost effective to do complete overhauls and I'm sure current maintenance people maintain them as best they can.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
7.15am from Newmarket to Cambridge had to turn large numbers of passengers away this morning who were unable to board what I can only describe as the most filthy class 153 I have ever seen.

Apparently a bus was supposed to be sent.

eastdyke

Established Member
And the Felixstowes have their now only too frequent bus:
'A fault' on 'a train' means that service is suspended between Ipswich and Felixstowe until approximately 16:00. :(

trebor79

Established Member
7.15am from Newmarket to Cambridge had to turn large numbers of passengers away this morning who were unable to board what I can only describe as the most filthy class 153 I have ever seen.
Might have been the one I and my friends staying for the weekend had the misfortune to catch into Norwich on Saturday afternoon. Filthy inside and out, even the ceilings were mottled with what looked like decades of grime. And of course it had the unique musty smell of a 153.
All the more galling as we'd admired a 755 going the other way and I had just regaled them with how marvellous they were going to think our train into town was... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.