• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Clearly a lot of 755's sitting around at Norwich yesterday. How long til we see one in passenger action? Does anyone know how the testing and approval phase is going?

Railperf

Established Member
I arrive the same mins early with a 90/DVT.
That is no surprise really when the schedule allows 11.5 mins, but the fastest recorded times in our database are around 9 mins. Class 86's hold the records a smidgeon under 9 mins - and there is a Class 90 run at 9 mins 4 sec, but the logs suggest there may have been under-reading speedometers lol!
The triple 321 did it in 9 mins 54 secs despite what i would consider a slower than usual entry into the station. Interesting to see the 321 v 90 v 170 acceleration. The 321's superior lower down acceleration skips ahead and gets about 10 secs ahead of the 90. I'm not sure how much of that is down to 90 drivers or the 90's microprocessors holding back on giving it full power. After the neutral section, the 90's superior power gains back all the lost time and ends up a smidgeon ahead. The poor 170 gets a slight head start on a 90, but soon gets left behind in a big way - 45 seconds behind the 321 and 90 after 7 miles. I reckon the 321's brakes are better, but the Renatus units braking is very jerky as the discs and regenerative brakes try to blend in and out!

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Clearly a lot of 755's sitting around at Norwich yesterday. How long til we see one in passenger action? Does anyone know how the testing and approval phase is going?
I wouldn't expect to see one for a little while yet & it seems highly unlikely by the Summer timetable.

delt1c

Established Member
That is no surprise really when the schedule allows 11.5 mins, but the fastest recorded times in our database are around 9 mins. Class 86's hold the records a smidgeon under 9 mins - and there is a Class 90 run at 9 mins 4 sec, but the logs suggest there may have been under-reading speedometers lol!
The triple 321 did it in 9 mins 54 secs despite what i would consider a slower than usual entry into the station. Interesting to see the 321 v 90 v 170 acceleration. The 321's superior lower down acceleration skips ahead and gets about 10 secs ahead of the 90. I'm not sure how much of that is down to 90 drivers or the 90's microprocessors holding back on giving it full power. After the neutral section, the 90's superior power gains back all the lost time and ends up a smidgeon ahead. The poor 170 gets a slight head start on a 90, but soon gets left behind in a big way - 45 seconds behind the 321 and 90 after 7 miles. I reckon the 321's brakes are better, but the Renatus units braking is very jerky as the discs and regenerative brakes try to blend in and out!

There was one early morning service in the 90's operated by a 150, used it twice and it was quite an experience on the GE mainline at full power and full speed.

dk1

Veteran Member
There was one early morning service in the 90's operated by a 150, used it twice and it was quite an experience on the GE mainline at full power and full speed.
06:20 Liverpool St-Sheringham & 20:02 return (20:56 off Norwich).

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Seem to remember sprinters making it to Liverpool Street happened under NX as well.

Can't recall the specifics, but quite likely that it would have been substituting for a 170 on a through service from one of the Ipswich branches.

Railperf

Established Member
I wouldn't have minded experiencing a Class 37 on the mainline - despite the fact they are limited to 80mph!! Just the Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft branches for now!

delt1c

Established Member
I wouldn't have minded experiencing a Class 37 on the mainline - despite the fact they are limited to 80mph!! Just the Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft branches for now!

Back inthe 70's and 80's the 37's were 90mph and often substituted for 47's

dk1

Veteran Member
Back inthe 70's and 80's the 37's were 90mph and often substituted for 47's
Sure where. Most commonly used on the boats but when the chips where down anything goes. Speed limits when attainable where only a guideline anyway back then. Open her up & see where she takes you was the spirit haha.

trebor79

Established Member
Sounds like it won't. Seems to be a lot of testing still to do (as in most of it), and there will also be crew to train. I believe classroom training has started but haven't seen any mention of crew training runs yet.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Sure where. Most commonly used on the boats but when the chips where down anything goes. Speed limits when attainable where only a guideline anyway back then. Open her up & see where she takes you was the spirit haha.
Up Main around Harold Wood was usually where records were unofficially broken.

dk1

Veteran Member
Up Main around Harold Wood was usually where records were unofficially broken.
Nice little downhil run that. I shut off before Brentwood doing around 75 and coast. Normally hit 90 around the M25. Bet they never gunned or sped checked anyone in that area back in the day. Half the depots drivers would be off the road.

Railperf

Established Member
Nice little downhil run that. I shut off before Brentwood doing around 75 and coast. Normally hit 90 around the M25. Bet they never gunned or sped checked anyone in that area back in the day. Half the depots drivers would be off the road.
I recall a legal run where 90 miles per hour was achieved at the Summit and the driver was using the brake when necessary to try and avoid exceeding more than 90 miles per hour all the way down. It was a lively run to say the least. As you might imagine there may have been one or two excesses over the limit along the way

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I recall a legal run where 90 miles per hour was achieved at the Summit and the driver was using the brake when necessary to try and avoid exceeding more than 90 miles per hour all the way down. It was a lively run to say the least. As you might imagine there may have been one or two excesses over the limit along the way
We do over rely on the rheo brake at times thinking it will kick in when infact its isolated. Whoops!!

Railperf

Established Member
We do over rely on the rheo brake at times thinking it will kick in when infact its isolated. Whoops!!
I wasn't complaining ...Chelmsford to Stratford that day was completed in just over 20 mins start to stop. The train left Stratford for Liverpool Street 4min early

dk1

Veteran Member
I wasn't complaining ...Chelmsford to Stratford that day was completed in just over 20 mins start to stop. The train left Stratford for Liverpool Street 4min early
I didn't think you where Haha. If it's an IC it's okay to leave Stratford before time up road.

jspillman

I've been wondering if anyone else has been told this... I was in conversation with Greater Anglia a couple of days ago and they informed me ' I have heard that we are likely to retain two Class 90 full Inter City sets including 8 carriages and a DVT on each as spare sets once all new trains are in service.'.....
Anyone else got any info on this?
I thought these trains won't be prm 2020 compliant...??

trebor79

Established Member
I've been wondering if anyone else has been told this... I was in conversation with Greater Anglia a couple of days ago and they informed me ' I have heard that we are likely to retain two Class 90 full Inter City sets including 8 carriages and a DVT on each as spare sets once all new trains are in service.'.....
Anyone else got any info on this?
I thought these trains won't be prm 2020 compliant...??

Ha! I suggested as much months ago on this thread and was shot down. 10 755s aren't enough to cover the diagrams, and that's before any service enhancements like Norwich in 90.

jspillman

Ha! I suggested as much months ago on this thread and was shot down. 10 755s aren't enough to cover the diagrams, and that's before any service enhancements like Norwich in 90.
The only thing that confuses me is the old slam doors I thought they'd have to be changed by next year for this to happen unless there's some exception? I've searched about to try and find some info but I can't see anything suggesting any modifications to GA's mk3 coaches...

trebor79

Established Member
My guess (and that's all it is) is that one of the following scenarios will apply:
1. Derogation allowing continued slam door ops due to late commissioning of 755s, and a couple of sets sent for conversion during 755 introduction.
2. 321 stand in for a few diagrams post 755 introduction whilst slam door sets are sent for conversion
3. Permanent 321 or 379 allocated to the Norwich - Liverpool Street route for 1 or 2 diagrams.
4. Any combination of the above whilst another couple of 755s are ordered and delivered.
5. Regular cancellations due to insufficient sets to operate the eervic and allow for planned and reactive maintenance.

All I know is that 10 sets isn't enough to cover the service with any degree of reliability. Therefore one of these scenarios will prevail.

Wivenswold

Established Member
GA can ask the DfT for derogations. There are friends on here who can explain that process better than I.

Worth pointing out that some Mk 3s have had sliding doors fitted so that's a possibility. Can't wait to see how GA spin this one, not that there's anything coming out of GA HQ at the moment. For all we know the non-PRM 321s are still off-lease in October.

trebor79

Established Member
There is zero chance of the Stadtler fleet being introduced as planned. Less than a dozen 745 and only one 755 in the country. A huge amount of testing and training to complete.
I noticed on my last trip to Liverpool Street that all of the "new train" stickers and posters have been removed from the Mk3 coaches. They are still present on the rural lines and I guess it's possible a handful of 755s will enter service this year.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I would assume you know there's a typo in your comments there @trebor79 . There's one 745 and 7 (I may be out of date) 755s.

I'm not sure which plan you're setting your presumption of failure against. In meteorology we have a phrase called "Hopecasting", a form of "confirmation bias". It's particularly prevalent among the younger contributors who, upon studying sets of data, will hand pick their favoured outcome and proclaim that to be "the most likely weather to prevail" ignoring any evidence to the contrary. It's how people end up being "Flat-earthers".

We all know the plan has gone belly-up and I don't think it requires endless repetition within a thread intended for news rather than conjecture.
I set up a separate thread for bantz about the likely omnishambles to come. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/greater-anglia-2019-what-could-possibly-go-wrong.174779/

dk1

Veteran Member
There is zero chance of the Stadtler fleet being introduced as planned. Less than a dozen 745 and only one 755 in the country. A huge amount of testing and training to complete.
I noticed on my last trip to Liverpool Street that all of the "new train" stickers and posters have been removed from the Mk3 coaches. They are still present on the rural lines and I guess it's possible a handful of 755s will enter service this year.
You've got it the wrong way round. Only one 745/1 but several 755s are here. First 745/0 expected very soon.

dk1

Veteran Member
Should only need nine 745/0 in traffic to operate the excelerated half hourly service with shortened turnaround times. The additional 90min schedules should be covered by 755s.

Adrian1980uk

Anglia wont actually retain the 90s but I suspect very much like the pretendalino on virgin we won't have seen the last 90 on geml for some years to come

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The official line now on social media is they are changing every train as previously outlined.

Note the change in wording from the earlier replacing every train with brand new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.