• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia.. run by idiots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurs4life

So people who have been on a night out they should not travel people have been to a concert they should not travel commuters they should not travel because they might damage a train what a load of rubbish.so who is going to use the railways just church going folk.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
To honest I think the worst people for wrecking trains are the people who go out binge drinking come back on the last train from London, vomit all over the floor, chuck their McDonalds all over the place and sit in first class with a standard ticket (if they have a ticket at all).

Football fans tend to be very loud and sometimes very very aggressive. I think that TOC's try their hardest to provide adequate travel facilities to football fans but this is not always possible due to match dates changing or kick off times changing. I dont think it is fair at all to say GA is run by idiots. What if GA decided that it was too much hassle to put on any extra services to any matches. They are not obliged to put on extra services for football (or at least I'm pretty sure they are not).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So people who have been on a night out they should not travel people have been to a concert they should not travel commuters they should not travel because they might damage a train what a load of rubbish.so who is going to use the railways just church going folk.

Commuters or business travellers will travel. So will leisure travellers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Commuters or business travellers will travel. So will leisure travellers

spurs4life

So why have a railway service on a weekend as there are no commuters if its not to get people to where they need to go where ever that might be.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
So why have a railway service on a weekend as there are no commuters if its not to get people to where they need to go where ever that might be.

Football fans are by no means the only rail passengers at weekends, far from it actually.

On GA weekends you have a lot of people simply going into to London for a day out or shopping etc. Im sure if you asked them a lot of them probably feel quite intimidated by 100's of football fans piling on the same train as them.

Class315

I don't think GA are at fault for the 4 car train being in service, to be honest it's better than none. The passenger Ill at Highams Park, apparently led to a suspension between Chingford and Hackney Downs thus inter working schedules have now been severely disrupted.

When I drove to Tottenham yesterday evening, the barriers at Northumberland Park where down with a NR incident response vans either side of the road.

Clip

Established Member

You're still crying about this yet have not addressed the actual reasons as top why the service was not what it should have been. Are you ignoring these posts on purpose just to be difficult and have your little paddy?

Established Member
I thought Arsenal fans should be whingeing and moaning about there lot in life, not Spud fans who managed to get a goal in Fergie time!

Perhaps you should push the boss of your club to move the club to Stratford then you would have at least 15 bus routes, Docklands Light Railway, two tube lines, London Overground, two national rail lines.

Unlike the rubbish you have now, the one ground i hated going to as it was a bloody two mile walk to the nearest tube station, unless i was catching the 259 or 279 and where i live now the W3.

But as many people above me have said before and conviently overlooked by your goodself, Network rail planned this two years ago, Football fixtures were out in June and these were changed in August (blame Sky for that).

As for Arsenal never being affected, London Overground and Silverlink before hand use to have the North London Line closed on Arsenal home games on a regular basis. The Victoria and Piccadilly to a leser extent have also been closed on match days. The nearest train station to Arsenal is always closed on a match day, so dont go thinking youve got it tough. Perhaps transport links should have been thought of before building a football stadium with relative poor transport links.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Is that what i said? No.
There is no might about football fans damaging trains they do do it on a regular basis, not one of the trains i travelled on came away unharmed.

Commuters/leisure/concert/party goers generally do not damage trains.

swj99

If anyone is "screwing you over" then its the league and Sky TV by moving games to Sundays where work is already planned.
I reckon the football fans are the victims here, for allowing themselves to be screwed over by paying so much money to get into a game that clubs can afford to pay their players more money in a week than a lot of working people in this country earn in a year. Football didn’t used to be like that, in the same way that back in the day, league players didn’t need and couldn’t afford a Ferrari, and were happy enough and safe enough to use public transport, and indeed many of them actually still considered themselves to be members of the public.

Like all groups there are good and bad. Would you have made the same sweeping generalisation (like the OP did in the first place) about people because of their race, colour etc ? I think had you said something like 'My experience with Somalis is not a pleasant one' it would be deemed as unacceptable.

Fair point. Fortunately, and despite suggestions that a liking of football should be considered a religion, it is not a protected characteristic, as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
Being a Greater Anglia employee isn't a protected characteristic either, otherwise several posts in this thread would be deemed as unacceptable. Anyone for political correctness ?

Football fans often destroy the trains around me. So yes thousands of people create revenue but by taking a train out of service for the next day, and the repair costs. This makes up more then the extra revenue especially if the revenue missed is peak time. WHy should people who act like this deserve a service for them.

Speaking as a lifelong football fan who has caught the train to many matches around the country.
This is the sad reality. I'm sure it's the minority who mess things up for the well behaved majority, but this is always the way, whether it be in football, or anything else. The writing is on the wall for a ban on ordinary members of the public being able to buy and set off fireworks. This is because too many people are irresponsible and misuse them. There are lots of examples of idiots spoiling things for the decent people, and they reduce other people's impression of them and their kind, to the lowest common denominator. The rotten apple which spoils the otherwise good barrel could be a group of drunk soldiers who smash up a pub, and get their whole regiment banned from a town, supporters of a football club who drink more than they can handle and vandalise a train, a traffic warden with a power trip, a bent copper, a gobby or otherwise unhelpful revenue protection officer, a BMW driver who doesn't indicate, a financial institution which rips off it's customers, the list is endless. But what these examples illustrate is that it's the bad examples which are easier to remember than the good. If they mess up, they drag the reputation of others down with them.

Anyone who is going to behave in a decent and civilised manner should travel. Anyone who isn't, should stay at home, or otherwise keep away from law abiding civilised people who don't want their lives and routines messed up by muppets.

........I think the worst people for wrecking trains are the people who go out binge drinking come back on the last train from London, vomit all over the floor, chuck their McDonalds all over the place and sit in first class with a standard ticket (if they have a ticket at all).
Irrespective of who these miscreants are, they need to be stopped. Because if they are not, then the rules might as well not exist. On the basis of cause and effect, if I commit a crime and get caught and punished, I am less likely to do it again. But if I don't get caught, and I repeat the behaviour, and again don't get caught, or challenged or punished, this reinforces my belief that it's ok to indulge in whatever degenerate behaviour I was involved in. Which is why I think these people do what they do. They will continue to do it unless or until they are stopped. I struggle to understand why those involved in the legal system and so called crime prevention seem not to understand this concept.

Yesterday, they decided to shut the Lea Valley line for some reason.

This meant that the bulk of the footbsall traffic was put on the Enfield Town line. Not only that they ran some 4 car!!! FFS trains after the match. surely someone with a brain cell that isnt frozen would have had the nous to schedule something on a day Spurs are away. After all they know about the fixture list Waaaay back in June last year

Speaking as a traveller... pillocks all of them. Also what is to get them to get the Stansteds making an extra stop at Northumberland Park to relieve the London bound Traffic? It isnt rocket science, they do manage to put the extra stop in for the Northbound trains prior to the match

Your allocution should precede you. Knowledge of explosive engineering would obviously show your maintenance work arranging skills in a new light.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have just read through all the postings that have been made upon this thread and it is interesting to note that silverfoxcc who made the original inflammatory posting has not yet returned to the thread, despite other posters at the start of the thread going to the trouble of making postings of explanation of where the OP was wrong.

Pugwash

Many other Premier League clubs have stadiums about 2 miles from the nearest station and seem to cope alright.

Public transport on the continent seems to cope ok and provides great transport to football matches, indeed public transport is included with your ticket price as we did during the Olympics in many places.

Would you equally have said everyone going to the olympics should have driven ?

It appears there is a prejudice against one section of society on this message board that is unpleasant.

If you don't like transporting the public with all their eccentricities and foibles then maybe you should look for another job.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Strange, SWT seem to manage well when there's an event at Twickenham by rescheduling maintainance, don't see why GA can't do the same - especially as there was a possession on another part of the network I'd have thought there'd be more stock available than usual.

There's a subtle difference here, because Twickenham internationals are planned well in advance and for the Six Nations they tend to stick to the same weekends year after year. So Twickenham has the benefit of NR's long term maintenance plan, the 'engineering access statement' (formerly the rules of the route), being written to account for the Rugby.

On the other hand with so many football grounds all over London and with Sky apparently at liberty to move them (at only a few weeks notice) from Saturday to Sunday, NR cannot hope to account for Football matches.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Public transport on the continent seems to cope ok and provides great transport to football matches, indeed public transport is included with your ticket price as we did during the Olympics in many places.

Would you equally have said everyone going to the olympics should have driven ?

It appears there is a prejudice against one section of society on this message board that is unpleasant.

If you don't like transporting the public with all their eccentricities and foibles then maybe you should look for another job.

I never said anybody should drive anywhere. I didn't make any sort of comment about football fans, or indeed any other section of society, either. I simply attempted to point out that whilst the OP is complaining about having a walk to the ground during a time when the rail service was disrupted, many other Premier League fans (and no doubt Football League fans too) have to contend with having a similar distance, or greater, from the ground to the nearest station. Quite where you got the assumption that I hate football fans and think everyone should drive is beyond me. And what have the Olympics got to do with anything???

gazzak

I was on the pitch at Watford on Saturday morning helping clear the snow so that the match could take place. There were 100 of us. We're not all bad eggs.

If you think Spurs fans are screwed over with bad rail service, try Brighton FC on a Tuesday night after the game!

Pugwash

I never said anybody should drive anywhere. I didn't make any sort of comment about football fans, or indeed any other section of society, either. I simply attempted to point out that whilst the OP is complaining about having a walk to the ground during a time when the rail service was disrupted, many other Premier League fans (and no doubt Football League fans too) have to contend with having a similar distance, or greater, from the ground to the nearest station. Quite where you got the assumption that I hate football fans and think everyone should drive is beyond me. And what have the Olympics got to do with anything???

Lovely to hear.

Imo opinion it is senseless to allow football grounds away from public transport given the number of people that attend.

The Olympics was a mass attended sporting event, much like the football, indeed football was one of the events.

My experience with football fans is not a pleasant one. Several when they have had a few to drink after the match think its a good idea to sit on the edge of the platform with their legs over the side. When you tell them how dangerous that is and to get up you just get a mouthful of abuse and get told to "f*** off" and "I will do what ever I feel like doing" etc. anyway most football matches are at the weekend which is when most engineering work takes place. The railway doesn't run just for the convenience of football fans.

GA ran a football train from Norwich to Peterborough a couple of weeks ago and lets say it didn't go as planned, 30 police officers had to go to Ely and sort out trouble on the way back, hence why they aren't that eager to encourage football fans in numbers

EM2

Established Member
In more than five years working at a major London terminus, I've only had real hassle (and I mean persistent abuse and threats of physical violence) twice, and both times it's been from supporters of a club who play in white & blue and whose home ground is in North London.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Imo opinion it is senseless to allow football grounds away from public transport given the number of people that attend.

I imagine it's quote good for crowd control, in that with people walking at different speeds, they may spread out by the time they get to the station, rather than arriving en masse.

(Speculation - I've never been to a football match)

transmanche

Established Member
I imagine it's quote good for crowd control, in that with people walking at different speeds, they may spread out by the time they get to the station, rather than arriving en masse.
You're spot-on.

Anyone who went to the Olympic Park in the summer will have noticed that the walking routes to Stratford/West Ham were designed to do just that.

It's especially true when a nearby station has limited capacity. E.g. at Arsenal's Emirates stadium, Holloway Road and Drayton Park* stations are always closed when matches are played

* A couple of the access bridges to the stadium actually go over Drayton Park station. Whilst Holloway Road is a station with lifts and no escalators.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There appears to be room at Drayton Park to put in separate platforms, which would suddenly make it a great station to shuttle people to/from the ground.

Wasn't there are a plan for Arsenal to pay towards this at one time? Indeed, to re-open the disused platform at FPK (which is now being done anyway, but presumably not paid for in any way by the club).

silverfoxcc

It would appear i touched a nerve with this, the way that the railway 'family' have gathered the wagons in a circle
The pillocks i referred to were the planners and possible arsewarmers who 'run' the railway, not the guys at the pointed end.

I was unaware that

1) it was a equipment failure on Sunday,

2) that works are planned 2 YEARS!!!!! in advance. In which case perhaps the person who does this bit of forward planning could let the FA know so they can move their matches to suit

With regard to 'not having spare stock' Can someone explain to me where all the stock that was used on Friday Rush hours and will be used 12hrs later on Monday goes to?.

The points i mentioned have not popped out of the ground overnight, in fact it has only been in the last two years that 8 car trains have been put on the Lea Valley line, and thank God for that. But Why someone cannot see past the end of his nose to put an extra stop at Northumberland Park on the up Stansteds i fail to understand.
I have not got a 1958 WTT to hand but i am sure that there was a modified steam operated service on match days, and even when the electrics first started there was a rushhour service IIRC that was 0,20,40 Fast Lower Edmonton-LSt 3,23,43 all stations, 13,23,43 all stations to Hackney Downs then fast to Lst . So dont bleat it cannot be done, or is it progress that is stopping a service like that now. Also back then the crowds were 20k more than today,AND private transport was a luxury so God help the transport infrastructure when the 60k Stadium is completed in 4yrs It isnt only the rail who appear not to bother, the successors to LT also dont give a toss, I have pictures of Tottenham High road with upwards of 20 trolleybuses all waiting to disperse the crowds..
And finally, when i contacted Tfl 4yrs ago, to ask why a Tube station at Northumberland Park,with perhaps match day only facilities could not be built on the land between the station and the depot, i was advised that it would
1) cost £80m
2) extra bridges would be needed

BS on both counts surely?

The infrastructure would require an island platform, perhaps 4 oyster readers
no more than a mile of track and two points with five signals to give protection/access, and a basic station building
I tell you what , give me the 80m and let me keep what is left over

Oh and no extra bridges are required at all.

As regards Transport TfL/NR for the London Clubs

Asrenal Has the nearest Tfl Stations closed and only Finsbury Park on NR with Highbury on NR/Tfl 60k(or so they say)

Chelsea 1 Tube station Fulham Broadway (40k)

Fulham (30k) Putney Bridge Tfl and East Puntey NR both long walks

West Ham (30k) Upton Park

Spurs (35k) have the two NR stations both 5mins walk from the stadium and yet everyone says it has lousy transport links.. Now whose problem is that to sort out?

Oh and Yes Asrenal did promise to fund the transport improvements, i believe it was part of the planning permission, looks like Tfl are still waiting

No i was getting at the management not the workers. It seem the shareholders are more of a priority than the travelling public

Flame away,but do it objectively

Dave1987

On Moderation
It would appear i touched a nerve with this, the way that the railway 'family' have gathered the wagons in a circle
The pillocks i referred to were the planners and possible arsewarmers who 'run' the railway, not the guys at the pointed end.

I was unaware that

1) it was a equipment failure on Sunday,

2) that works are planned 2 YEARS!!!!! in advance. In which case perhaps the person who does this bit of forward planning could let the FA know so they can move their matches to suit

With regard to 'not having spare stock' Can someone explain to me where all the stock that was used on Friday Rush hours and will be used 12hrs later on Monday goes to?.

The points i mentioned have not popped out of the ground overnight, in fact it has only been in the last two years that 8 car trains have been put on the Lea Valley line, and thank God for that. But Why someone cannot see past the end of his nose to put an extra stop at Northumberland Park on the up Stansteds i fail to understand.
I have not got a 1958 WTT to hand but i am sure that there was a modified steam operated service on match days, and even when the electrics first started there was a rushhour service IIRC that was 0,20,40 Fast Lower Edmonton-LSt 3,23,43 all stations, 13,23,43 all stations to Hackney Downs then fast to Lst . So dont bleat it cannot be done, or is it progress that is stopping a service like that now. Also back then the crowds were 20k more than today,AND private transport was a luxury so God help the transport infrastructure when the 60k Stadium is completed in 4yrs It isnt only the rail who appear not to bother, the successors to LT also dont give a toss, I have pictures of Tottenham High road with upwards of 20 trolleybuses all waiting to disperse the crowds..
And finally, when i contacted Tfl 4yrs ago, to ask why a Tube station at Northumberland Park,with perhaps match day only facilities could not be built on the land between the station and the depot, i was advised that it would
1) cost £80m

The infrastructure would require an island platform, perhaps 4 oyster readers
no more than a mile of track and two points with five signals to give protection/access, and a basic station building
I tell you what , give me the 80m and let me keep what is left over

Oh and no extra bridges are required at all.

As regards Transport TfL/NR for the London Clubs

Asrenal Has the nearest Tfl Stations closed and only Finsbury Park on NR with Highbury on NR/Tfl 60k(or so they say)

Chelsea 1 Tube station Fulham Broadway (40k)

Fulham (30k) Putney Bridge Tfl and East Puntey NR both long walks

West Ham (30k) Upton Park

Spurs (35k) have the two NR stations both 5mins walk from the stadium and yet everyone says it has lousy transport links.. Now whose problem is that to sort out?

Oh and Yes Asrenal did promise to fund the transport improvements, i believe it was part of the planning permission, looks like Tfl are still waiting

No i was getting at the management not the workers. It seem the shareholders are more of a priority than the travelling public

Flame away,but do it objectively

Ok on your point about the "new" platform. There are plans a foot to extend platforms 17+18 at liverpool st to 12 cars. This alone is said to cost £20m. All new build stations have to be DDA compliant and cost massive sums of money especially when new infrastructure is required because you cannot just put signals in willy nilly. The location of every one along with the line speed and other factors have to be taken into consideration. Plus how do you know new bridges wouldn't have to be built? £80m seems to be a pretty good figure to be honest. I would love them to give the £80m to you for you to build this station and see the hoops you have to jump through then you would see it is not as simple as you make out.

Also the Stansted Express runs virtually non stop as I believe there is an agreement in place with the airport to make journey times as short as possible.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Most of the time GA do accommodate Spurs matches- it is quite often that I see posters further up the WA mentioning that services will call additionally at Northumberland Park and services strengthened 4 to 8 cars, both for weekend games and evening.

With wires down, trains will have been trapped in the section- and as it is quite hard to bring out a train from the depot at short notice if it s being worked on, it is quite possible there simply wasn't the stock available and in position to be able to strengthen the services stopping at White Hart Lane that easily. As I understood it, the transport issue did actually come close to getting the game called off.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

1) cost £80m

We do tell the FA. Repeatedly. They elect not to listen.

Quite right about the BS though. £80m is nowhere near enough.

Dave1987

On Moderation
We do tell the FA. Repeatedly. They elect not to listen.

Quite right about the BS though. £80m is nowhere near enough.

Indeed, for the FA Cup last year the FA were told not to move the kick off time. Did they listen..... No they were more worried about TV rights

Established Member
In more than five years working at a major London terminus, I've only had real hassle (and I mean persistent abuse and threats of physical violence) twice, and both times it's been from supporters of a club who play in white & blue and whose home ground is in North London.

Oh you men the team that the OP was refeering to ;)

Skimble19

Established Member
So you think thousands of people travelling on the train will not bring revenue one goes hand in hand.So who would use our trains then.

I would much rather they were banned from trains, never mind extra trains run for them.. They usually leave absolute carnage behind them and their track record for behaviour isn't exactly great is it.

If you want extra trains, I'm sure some old stock could be dug out of sidings somewhere for you to arrange your own charter trains through DRS or the like - that way any damage you do will only affect you and not those of us who actually have to use trains on a daily basis.

And yes, the above is a huge generalisation of football fans, but sadly the actions of what I hope is a few tars everyone with a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.