• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Vacancies -Trainee Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OneLowban

Is there parking at the station? Not sure trains run that early.
Limited first come first serve parking at Ilford I believe and none at Liverpool Street I don’t think. Would have to be night bus/taxi.

Mabs

Limited first come first serve parking at Ilford I believe and none at Liverpool Street I don’t think. Would have to be night bus/taxi.
I just checked. It will take me 1 hour 30 minutes by night bus to Liverpool street station but I could shorten the journey by going part of the journey by car.

OneLowban

I just checked. It will take me 1 hour 30 minutes by night bus to Liverpool street station but I could shorten the journey by going part of the journey by car.
Driving part of the way could work. I would imagine someone would easily take a very early job off your hands too. Late jobs may not be as easy, just depends.

OneLowban

Thanks. So if I understand correctly, you need to have one full year as a qualified driver before you get to full pay? So if the training period ends up being 12 months then potentially I would need to wait for two years before I’m on £50k which unfortunately isn’t economically feasible for me...damn!
Sorry for double post, getting notifications at weird times.

Yes this is correct. Almost 1 year on £30k, another year on £36k + Sundays which would bring it to around £40k, then £50k+ Sundays around 2 years after start date.

Mabs

Driving part of the way could work. I would imagine someone would easily take a very early job off your hands too. Late jobs may not be as easy, just depends.

I am a late shift type of person so I would be happy to swap all my early shifts permanently. I could get to the station in 30 minutes during the day and take 60-90 minutes for the early shift.

Maka

Sorry for double post, getting notifications at weird times.

Yes this is correct. Almost 1 year on £30k, another year on £36k + Sundays which would bring it to around £40k, then £50k+ Sundays around 2 years after start date.
Thanks again mate. Looks like I’ll have to do some hardcore budgeting for a couple of years...or maybe do some ubering on the side to make up the deficit lol. But like I said, let’s see if I even get my foot in the door before planning that far ahead.

OneLowban

I am a late shift type of person so I would be happy to swap all my early shifts permanently. I could get to the station in 30 minutes during the day and take 60-90 minutes for the early shift.
Yeah, my DI swaps nearly every week for earlies with another driver on a a consistent basis.

Rachael92

Looking on this thread it’s a situational judgement test
I've been through the assessment process and passed. I purchased how to become a train driver book from Amazon and to say I hardly used it. Use your spare time to read through forums, practice every day with the practice material given. All you need is to get your mind use to completing the tasks.

Maka

I've been through the assessment process and passed. I purchased how to become a train driver book from Amazon and to say I hardly used it. Use your spare time to read through forums, practice every day with the practice material given. All you need is to get your mind use to completing the tasks.
Many congrats Rachael. How soon after the SJT to you get your results?

Danny C

Thanks for the reply and good luck

Stigy

Established Member
I too purchased this book last year. I found parts of it useful but the rest of it outdated. I hardly used it though and now have a start date with GWR.

I agree with what you say and will always advise to just soak up the valuable info on these forums rather than spend money on things such as How2Become books to help you practice.

Dave1987

On Moderation

I don't wish to put a complete spanner in you plans but there are a couple of things you need to consider. Firstly the Ilford signing on point is not at the station. It's a good 10 minute walk from Seven Kings. Also what if you cannot find anyone to swap with for permanent lates? Can you get in feasibly get to the signing on point for 3am in the morning?

Mabs

I don't wish to put a complete spanner in you plans but there are a couple of things you need to consider. Firstly the Ilford signing on point is not at the station. It's a good 10 minute walk from Seven Kings. Also what if you cannot find anyone to swap with for permanent lates? Can you get in feasibly get to the signing on point for 3am in the morning?
It's gonna be hard but it's a job I dream about so I'm willing to sleep extra early during the day to make it on time. I will do what ever it takes to get things done.

OneLowban

Thanks again mate. Looks like I’ll have to do some hardcore budgeting for a couple of years...or maybe do some ubering on the side to make up the deficit lol. But like I said, let’s see if I even get my foot in the door before planning that far ahead.
I think budgeting is the way to go if it’s possible, for some it may not which is a shame.

However I’m not sure I’d recommend having another job on the side whilst training as there is a lot of information to be learned and depending on the person at least some revision is required.

Mabs

Not since last week asking about what passes I had
I also got that email, Does it mean we will be invited for the assessment?

I'm thinking what's the point in asking us if we won't be invited to attend the assesment centre. Do you understand it the same way as me?

UPS1550

I applied for both, got the email twice for depot but not mainline....
Side note I also applied for the Cambridge shunter job, did the SJT for the third time :lol: application form didn't have a score though like the Depot & mainline applications:?:

DepotDosser

Stage 1 and or Stage 2 psychometric passes

I am sure there was a question on the application for you to tick yes or no whether you had done any of the stages before. Did you tick that box as they may have been getting back about that to find out more?

UPS1550

I applied for depot. I'm sure I can change to mainline later. Il be happy with depot. It's better than nothing.
I applied for both so either either,if get depot great, if get mainline even better

Status
Not open for further replies.