• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Vacancies -Trainee Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Seaton

VSE not required. If the other one you mean is the DFFT then yes GA use that.

All you guys seem to know what the tests and abbreviations are. I assume you all have railway experience?! Im here to suss out the competition... haha

On another note, with a vacancy such as this, do any of you know how many people they typically take through to job offer etc at the end of the application process??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teddyward

All you guys seem to know what the tests and abbreviations are. I assume you all have railway experience?! Im here to suss out the competition... haha

On another note, with a vacancy such as this, do any of you know how many people they typically take through to job offer etc at the end of the application process??
Probably varies wildly but maybe 1 for every 2-300 applications.
On another note I used to work with someone with the exact same name as you.

B Boy 82

Applied on the 21st April and as of yet no reply and no SJT test. I know it’s early days but from earlier post from the people who applied start of the month most stated they received the SJT the next day. I’m wondering if it is first come first serve. Any who is anyone else waiting for some form of first response???

DepotDosser

Can’t believe the advert for this is still up! Is there any particular reason for this do you think as most seem to come down very quick (same day!)? And if they have filled certain areas they remove those location and just leave the ones they are still light on. Not sure if that’s the case here as I can imagine demand being high for London and immediate surrounding areas, but fewer in places like Norwich?

TONE.84

Any1 able to let me know about the shift pattern or even show a photo for Greater Anglia? I’d just like to compare to another company that I’ve applied for! Like how many weeks do you work before you get block or annual leave/rest days? And how long is the break?
Cheers

Teddyward

Any1 able to let me know about the shift pattern or even show a photo for Greater Anglia? I’d just like to compare to another company that I’ve applied for! Like how many weeks do you work before you get block or annual leave/rest days? And how long is the break?
Cheers
There is great variation between the 3 lines and the depots within those lines. Can you be more specific on location?

TONE.84

There is great variation between the 3 lines and the depots within those lines. Can you be more specific on location?

Well I’ve applied for Ilford and Liverpool Street! So just wanting to know how it all works if anyone has any idea?
You currently training mate? How you finding it all?

Gooner18

I believe Liverpool Street is split into two sections , West and East.
I presume East would be routes to Bishops Stortford , Cambridge, Stansted express and Hertford East. Where as West will be Southend Victoria, ipswich , Norwich and the Wickford to Southminster?

I am sure I will be corrected with the above lol

OneLowban

I believe Liverpool Street is split into two sections , West and East.
I presume East would be routes to Bishops Stortford , Cambridge, Stansted express and Hertford East. Where as West will be Southend Victoria, ipswich , Norwich and the Wickford to Southminster?

I am sure I will be corrected with the above lol
These are correct groups, but East and West are the other way around.

Teddyward

Well I’ve applied for Ilford and Liverpool Street! So just wanting to know how it all works if anyone has any idea?
You currently training mate? How you finding it all?
It’s great thanks. I have finished my training. Don’t know how Liverpool st works but if you get ilford you will start as depot driver. 8 weeks on 2 weeks off, about 16/17 Sundays.

Last edited:

Vic

are you allowed to apply for both the mainline and depot position?

monkeyskillz

Any news for anyone ? I’m not
Being impatient. Just curious lol

Nothing since the online SJE. To be fair I think it’s been said several times that they’ll be thousands of applicants so was bound to take time.
Also mentioned previously that the advert is still up. That’s the only bit that concerns me as other TOCs have taken adverts down within hours and seemed to have moved further along the recruitment process.
Unfortunately I have no insider knowledge so no idea if it means anything or GA just happy taking their time about it all :)

UPS1550

Hi all, I've been following this thread and would like to add a ’little’ to it! This is My first time applying to be a driver so I'm a little green on the process ( be patient please!) and all the abbreviations, definitely more involved than what I first thought for! How many trainee drivers are they looking for? I applied for both the mainline and Depot driver roles on the 10th and completed the SJT on the 12th for mainline & 15th for depot, separate invitations for both, i emailed recruitment to ask how long the application takes but I've not received any reply since then or any acknowledgement about taking the tests which reading through seems to be normal? Both my applications were scored 12 which I thought was odd seeing as other members here with more experience had 10 & 11's not that anyone seems to know for definite what the scores mean? Listing said no qualifications were necessary but is there anything there looking for or that would help? Im a Gas engineer currently so use to working unsociable hours etc whilst on-call, both jobs are very 'safety first' and procedure orientated if counts for any extra points (hopefully!) Does anyone have any links for training/ revision sites can use to do some pre learning with? Lastly I was reading about the medical requirements, no medical issues except I tried calculating my body mass index and got 34 and it said the limit was 33 is that a hard limit or is there any leeway? sorry for the long post!

OneLowban

Hi all, I've been following this thread and would like to add a ’little’ to it! This is My first time applying to be a driver so I'm a little green on the process ( be patient please!) and all the abbreviations, definitely more involved than what I first thought for! How many trainee drivers are they looking for? I applied for both the mainline and Depot driver roles on the 10th and completed the SJT on the 12th for mainline & 15th for depot, separate invitations for both, i emailed recruitment to ask how long the application takes but I've not received any reply since then or any acknowledgement about taking the tests which reading through seems to be normal? Both my applications were scored 12 which I thought was odd seeing as other members here with more experience had 10 & 11's not that anyone seems to know for definite what the scores mean? Listing said no qualifications were necessary but is there anything there looking for or that would help? Im a Gas engineer currently so use to working unsociable hours etc whilst on-call, both jobs are very 'safety first' and procedure orientated if counts for any extra points (hopefully!) Does anyone have any links for training/ revision sites can use to do some pre learning with? Lastly I was reading about the medical requirements, no medical issues except I tried calculating my body mass index and got 34 and it said the limit was 33 is that a hard limit or is there any leeway? sorry for the long post!
Hi, welcome. Nothing wrong with long posts, just use paragraphs so it’s easier to read. ;)

Applying to be a driver can be a very long process with lots of waiting, don’t think it’s unusual, take some time to read some posts on here and you will soon see you are not alone.

Most courses are around 7-15 trainees, just depends.

I believe GA will be recruiting for the rest of the year or so I’ve heard, so replies may take a while.

The railway take on people from all walks of life, it’s just about what life experiences you can share in the interview (when the time comes) albeit some professions will be easier to give examples from (yours seems good for this).

Take one step at a time, don’t worry about any learning materials yet, as I said the process can be long and stressful and once you get chosen for assessments you will be sent some practice material by the TOC.

I wouldn’t worry about the BMI, I’ve seen some drivers that are 35+, as long as you can do basic mobility movements you are fine. (along with the rest of the medical)

Good luck on your journey. :smile:

UPS1550

Hi, welcome. Nothing wrong with long posts, just use paragraphs so it’s easier to read. ;)

Applying to be a driver can be a very long process with lots of waiting, don’t think it’s unusual, take some time to read some posts on here and you will soon see you are not alone.

Most courses are around 7-15 trainees, just depends.

I believe GA will be recruiting for the rest of the year or so I’ve heard, so replies may take a while.

The railway take on people from all walks of life, it’s just about what life experiences you can share in the interview (when the time comes) albeit some professions will be easier to give examples from (yours seems good for this).

Take one step at a time, don’t worry about any learning materials yet, as I said the process can be long and stressful and once you get chosen for assessments you will be sent some practice material by the TOC.

I wouldn’t worry about the BMI, I’ve seen some drivers that are 35+, as long as you can do basic mobility movements you are fine. (along with the rest of the medical)

Good luck on your journey. :smile:

Thanks onelowban, I've been reading through your posts, slow down, relax and wait for the next train got it lol

I had thought they would probably only be taking on a dozen or so trainees at a time with all the driving hours required

Does the training differ between Depot & mainline? If you qualified for one role would you be able to change roles afterwards or is the training different?

I'm applying for Norwich Depot as first choice which sounds like a less popular option reading on here so that's a plus for me:D only 30 mins from crown Point so nice and close

Do you have to qualify on each type of train once you actually pass out? Usually drive past Yarmouth station 3/4 times a day and see several different class 37/ 47 &68 from direct rail services plus the older single coach trains, probably jumping to far ahead again lol!

Danny C

Sorry if I sound a little stupid I have never applied for a rail trainee vacancy before and have now been asked to do a online assessment tests. Is there anywhere I can go to get some old test information to practice, I’ve only got six days to prepare is there anywhere I can go to get some old test information to practice, I’ve only got six days to prepare

Twotwo

It’s just a situation judgment test lol no need to prepare for it. It’s just stuff YOU would do in different scenarios and circumstances.

Timpg

Sorry if I sound a little stupid I have never applied for a rail trainee vacancy before and have now been asked to do a online assessment tests. Is there anywhere I can go to get some old test information to practice, I’ve only got six days to prepare is there anywhere I can go to get some old test information to practice, I’ve only got six days to prepare

Hi mate. The assessment is a simple situation judgment test, a number of situations to which you have to answer what you would do. If you have a read back through this thread, you’ probably find a bit more information

Danny C

Yes health and safety and customer service type questions. Certainly not rocket science
Hi mate. The assessment is a simple situation judgment test, a number of situations to which you have to answer what you would do. If you have a read back through this thread, you’ probably find a bit more information
Thanks much appreciated

Danny C

It’s just a situation judgment test lol no need to prepare for it. It’s just stuff YOU would do in different scenarios and circumstances.
Thanks for the reply just managed to get off the phone from the assessment people don’t think I’ll be able to do these tests via my iPad so will have to find a laptop somewhere LOL

Is there anywhere online that I could go to to do dumb tests to see what I might expect from train companies

UPS1550

There was 17 questions such as " An engineer is trying to fix a fault on the train when a customer comes over and is getting upset about being delayed do you 1) try and calm her down
2) tell her to go to the information office to complain
3) file a complaint for her

Wasn't anything to difficult, just think SAFETY first with your answers, did you apply for both depot & mainline? If so watch your inbox as you'll have to do the exact same test a second time for the other role, mine came through 2 days later for depot

UPS1550

Thanks for the reply just managed to get off the phone from the assessment people don’t think I’ll be able to do these tests via my iPad so will have to find a laptop somewhere LOL

Is there anywhere online that I could go to to do dumb tests to see what I might expect from train companies
Just use a library computer

Fahim

Hi guys, been following the thread since I applied for both the roles on 16th April. I've just received an email today stating if I've completed any psychometric tests, and if I have I should reply. I've only done the SJT, and just wondering if anyone else has received an email like this? Also goes on to say its just for the trainee depot driver... nothing about mainline. Also to put peoples mind at ease, the email ends by saying "currently shortlisting applications". So we should all hear back soon, fingers crossed!

UPS1550

Just received an email asking if I had ever completed the psychometric tests and that they were going to begin short-listing candidates soon! Anyone else had this?
The matrix is watching LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.