• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby to Morpeth, for a cheap price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

On the 11th of Auguest I will travel with my mum from Grimsby to Morpeth.
We don't have railcards by the way.

The basic route from Grimsby to Doncaster, Newcastle and Morpeth is quite expensive, and we are poor.

My mum holds a bus pass, and we've so far found tickets at a lower price from Hull (near Grimsby)...
Are there any cheaper options when travelling from Grimsby to Morpeth?

We have no time limit or worry about lots of changes along the way, but all transport needs to be wheelchair accessible.

Many thanks
Joseph

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

When are you returning, or is this just a one way trip?

Is your mum eligible for a disabled persons railcard (assuming she's the one with the wheelchair)?

The return trip doesn't matter yet, we are staying at a family holiday for 4-5 days (not decided yet). My mum is the one in the wheelchair, but we aren't frequent train travellers due to the awkwardness involved and the cost. So a railcard would just be an extra cost at this moment, something we want to avoid.

danm14

Hello everyone.

On the 11th of Auguest I will travel with my mum from Grimsby to Morpeth.
We don't have railcards by the way.

The basic route from Grimsby to Doncaster, Newcastle and Morpeth is quite expensive, and we are poor.

My mum holds a bus pass, and we've so far found tickets at a lower price from Hull (near Grimsby)...
Are there any cheaper options when travelling from Grimsby to Morpeth?

We have no time limit or worry about lots of changes along the way, but all transport needs to be wheelchair accessible.

Many thanks
Joseph

If she'll be remaining in her wheelchair for the journey, both you and her get a 34% discount on an Anytime single or day return, and a 50% discount on an Anytime open return, without a Railcard. Though an off peak or advance without discount may be cheaper.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/44965.aspx

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suspect a Disabled Persons Railcard (if the OP’s mum qualifies) would pay for itself on this one trip alone.

Bear in mind that a companion travelling with a Disabled Persons Railcard holder also qualifies for a 34% discount on tickets.

kieron

Established Member
The return trip doesn't matter yet, we are staying at a family holiday for 4-5 days (not decided yet). My mum is the one in the wheelchair, but we aren't frequent train travellers due to the awkwardness involved and the cost. So a railcard would just be an extra cost at this moment, something we want to avoid.
Getting a bus to Hull and a train from there may be one option, I suppose, depending on your circumstances.

There may be similarly priced Morpeth-Hull tickets for your return journey once you know when that will be, or there may not. If not, you could end up having to paying more than you would have done had you bought return tickets in the first place. Unfortunately, flexible single tickets for that route cost almost as much as return ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.