• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dragon

Just a quick ticketing question - I've booked a Groupsave for 4 adults on FGW from PAD to NWP in Feb 2012. I booked early as the trains will be rammed full and I wanted a table. (It's Wales v Scotland 6 Nations rugby in CDF that day).

Unfortunately only 3 of the 4 adults are now able to travel together.

I assume this will be ok as a Groupsave allows 3 or 4 to travel together for the price of 2, and I'll just not use the 4th set of tickets I presume.

Any advice from the experts and/or the "x-spurts" would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Officially, you'd need to get the tickets changed, you might be charged for this though, however, there is a chance that, if you carry all four tickets with you, the guard might let it go. (NOTE: Sometimes Groupsave 3 is cheaper than Groupsave 4)

Simon11

Established Member
Officially, you'd need to get the tickets changed, you might be charged for this though, however, there is a chance that, if you carry all four tickets with you, the guard might let it go. (NOTE: Sometimes Groupsave 3 is cheaper than Groupsave 4)

With groupsave the whole party must travel together. So you either need a fourth person or request a groupsave3.

bnm

Established Member
Tickets should be changed and maybe subject to £10 administration fee. Terrms & Conditions of GroupSave are that all people must travel together at all times.

You could be liable to have to pay the full undiscounted fare or a penalty fare for each person in your party if there are only three of you travelling on a GroupSave 4.

Discretion may be shown by the Guard/Conductor/TM and it's best to approach them before they find you. I've been in a similar situation when one of a group dropped out at the last minute and I approached staff on each leg of our journey. All were fine to let us travel, with just one saying that if I hadn't found him first he may've chinged us for the full fare per person.

As this isn't a last minute change I'd suggest changing the tickets prior to travel.

Last edited:

bnsf734

Stand at Paddington Station, shouldn't be long before you get a volunteer to be passenger no 4! Especially on Rugby day as fans shouldn't be too difficult to spot :D

bnm

Established Member
Well done to the OP for getting GroupSave on a barred day!

That might make changing the tickets a little more difficult.....

Red Dragon

Groupsave is usually barred to Cardiff on Rugby match days - have these tickets possibly been mis-sold? Or can you still get them to Newport?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html#february

Yes - you can still get them to Newport.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well done to the OP for getting GroupSave on a barred day!

That might make changing the tickets a little more difficult.....

Groupsave are only barred to CDF, and fortunately we're going to NWP for the weekend.
Groupsave is usually barred to Cardiff on Rugby match days - have these tickets possibly been mis-sold? Or can you still get them to Newport?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html#february

Thanks for the link - didn't know about this on the NR site. Very useful.
Tickets should be changed and maybe subject to £10 administration fee. Terrms & Conditions of GroupSave are that all people must travel together at all times.

You could be liable to have to pay the full undiscounted fare or a penalty fare for each person in your party if there are only three of you travelling on a GroupSave 4.

Discretion may be shown by the Guard/Conductor/TM and it's best to approach them before they find you. I've been in a similar situation when one of a group dropped out at the last minute and I approached staff on each leg of our journey. All were fine to let us travel, with just one saying that if I hadn't found him first he may've chinged us for the full fare per person.

As this isn't a last minute change I'd suggest changing the tickets prior to travel.

Thanks for the info Mac

Having read all the responses, thank you all for the advice and info.
Cancelling the Groupsave 4 and getting a Groupsave 3 is my safest option I think, as there are now only 3 members of the "Taffia" travelling together.
On these days we traditionally sing in four part harmony as we exit the Severn Tunnel to the Land of my Fathers - we'll have to make do with three part harmony this time !

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As others have said, technically you'll have to change the tickets. Obviously there's no point in doing this until soon before travel, as you might find plans change again and someone is able to join you.

Personally I've not had any issues on a couple of occasions this has happened to me, most guards apply common sense. As bnm says, best to check with the guard first. Make sure you have all four tickets though.

Red Dragon

As others have said, technically you'll have to change the tickets. Obviously there's no point in doing this until soon before travel, as you might find plans change again and someone is able to join you.

Personally I've not had any issues on a couple of occasions this has happened to me, most guards apply common sense. As bnm says, best to check with the guard first. Make sure you have all four tickets though.

Thanks that's very sensible advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.