• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 valleys

Hi,guys.

Just a wee query regarding the Group Save product that Scotrail sell.

The website says it is available on all routes from Glasgow to Edinburgh .It is also available from intermediate stops eg Croy or Bellshill .However it is not available from Motherwell.

I assumed all routes also included via the Carstairs route, however customer services say Motherwell is not available because it is on the Ayr to Edinburgh (via Glasgow/ Carstairs) route

However I would assume if someone bought the product at Glasgow they would still be able to travel on the Edinburgh via Carstairs service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no GroupSave fare available from Motherwell, although if you bought the Glasgow fare, you may travel via Motherwell.

13 valleys

Yeah I would have thought that as well.However customer services claim that via Carstairs is not a valid route.The website does state Glasgow to Edinburgh all routes.But going via Carstairs is called the Ayr to Edinburgh route,so I can see were they are coming from.I also asked if I could buy a Bellshill to Edinburgh ticket and travel via Motherwell.That would be ok for individual tickets but not for a Group ticket.Seems a bit unfair.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think technically Motherwell is on a route between Glasgow and Edinburgh, that said I think often when they say "all routes" they only refer to the Falkirk, Bathgate and Shotts lines. A bit lax with their wording.

If the routeing is fine with a normal ticket then it is fine on GroupSave. I don't see the difference.

13 valleys

I think they have misled me a bit.When they quoted the Ayr to Edinburgh route was not valid, I assumed that was because the service started from Ayr rather than Glasgow.However it has just dawned on me that a Glasgow-Edinburgh GroupSave ticket would be valid at Queen Street low level on a Milngavie to Edinburgh service.It seems that Motherwell has been overlooked and may just be an anomaly.It is similar to Motherwell to Edinburgh Park.There is no "not via Glasgow" route,however there is a option if the journey starts at Bellshill and changing at Motherwell.The GroupSafe scenario is a pity.I would think it would be a popular ticket from Motherwell.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This is just a random thought but could XC have dropped a hint that they don't want a group save fare available from Motherwell? AFAIAA XC don't accept group save and as they are currently the fastest operator between the stations I'm sure there would be a bit of confusion when pax attempted to use them on XC trains.

Or maybe just an oversight? In any case a group save from Glasgow would be valid via Motherwell.

13 valleys

Hello again.Scotrail confirmed today that a Group Save is valid on the Carstairs route.However no such ticket exists from Motherwell to Edinburgh.This may be a oversight, but no such fare exists from Wishaw,Carluke or Carstairs.They did confirm a ticket from Bellshill to Edinburgh is valid with a break of journey at Motherwell for a connecting service.It is a strange one.All these stations plus Hamilton and Airbles have the same fare structure on the "not via Glasgow" route,but no Group Save.Cross Country do not allow travel with a Group Save,however I believe Virgin East Coast will accept them.Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.