• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grubbiest or most dilapidated station on the network in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think part of the problem is the whole 'new town' idea hasn't aged very well at all 77 years later (concrete, concrete and oh look...more concrete!)

This is very true. The new town is an absolute dive now, and has really gone downhill in recent years. Whilst Stevenage has always had its issues (such as the unfortunate reputation for having the highest number of teenage pregnancies in Hertfordshire), the whole new town hasn’t really handled the last decade well. The concrete was never going to age well, but on top of that there’s now empty shops galore, dereliction, and many more down & outs everywhere. It doesn’t really give the best advert that emerging from the station one walks through a dingy elevated subway through the leisure centre, which has had to have blue lighting installed because of drug issues.

The station simply reflects all this, and is nowadays a very depressing place to be indeed.

the 'old town' area is certainly worth the 15 minute walk from Stevenage station to visit though!

Absolutely, compared to the new town it’s a completely different world. About the only reminder it’s in Stevenage are the strange colour-coded street signs.

Never had a problem with the actual station, just feels like every other station in the Hertfordshire area!

I would have said that until my recent visit, however the station seemed to be taking on the air of dereliction which can be found in the rest of the town centre. It didn’t really help that a proportion of the users looked like they’d just been released into the community.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

I'd also include Wigan North Western and Warrington Bank Quay being of similar build

Warrington Bank Quay isn't brutalist at all. I don't think Wigan NW is, but I can't remember as I have not been there in years.

People have a tendency to call anything that is blocky and a bit rubbish, built in the 1950s-1970s, 'brutalist', when in fact brutalism is a specific architectural style/movement that "makes use of exposed, unpainted concrete, angular geometric shapes and a predominantly monochrome palette". Coventry railway station is definitely a valid example though.

Warrington Bank Quay is exposed to the elements and doesn't have a nice surrounding area, but isn't brutalist, and doesn't really qualify for this thread (IMO) as in my experience it is reasonably well-maintained, painted fairly frequently and does have well-heated waiting rooms on both island platforms, as well as a coffee shop and functioning bathrooms. Very few people would choose to spend an hour there, but it's not as horrendous as somewhere like Kirkgate was at the peak of its notoreity.

AGH

Salford Central was but be interesting to see it post refurbishment. Oxford road is a bit grim and always has a sense of about to go worse but a bit of slap staves it off for a few more years. All of the Merseyrail underground stations are stuck in a 70s timewarp.

My local winner would be Whiston. Just awful from the day it was built.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just thinking about it, had any city in Britain suffered as big a downgrade as Bradford? 2 very big and grand stations reduced to 2 tiny low key stations with zero architectural merit.

I can’t think of another as profound example off the top of my head.

And further away from eachother than the previous two.

Warrington Bank Quay isn't brutalist at all. I don't think Wigan NW is, but I can't remember as I have not been there in years.

People have a tendency to call anything that is blocky and a bit rubbish, built in the 1950s-1970s, 'brutalist', when in fact brutalism is a specific architectural style/movement that "makes use of exposed, unpainted concrete, angular geometric shapes and a predominantly monochrome palette". Coventry railway station is definitely a valid example though.

Warrington Bank Quay is exposed to the elements and doesn't have a nice surrounding area, but isn't brutalist, and doesn't really qualify for this thread (IMO) as in my experience it is reasonably well-maintained, painted fairly frequently and does have well-heated waiting rooms on both island platforms, as well as a coffee shop and functioning bathrooms. Very few people would choose to spend an hour there, but it's not as horrendous as somewhere like Kirkgate was at the peak of its notoreity.

Warrington BQ is very much a traditional Victorian station at platform level (and all the better for it IMO). It's also not badly maintained.

I can't remember if there's a buffet, but for a big WCML station, there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of facilities. It's also a bit of a traipse to the town centre.

dangie

Established Member
Was the Boddingtons brewery close to Victoria station? I have memories of a fairly unpleasant smell whilst waiting there, and it wasn’t diesel !
The unpleasantness got even worse when you tasted it……

Stone, Staffordshire used to have two breweries. One was Joule’s situated in Stone High Street the other was Bent’s situated not far from the Railway Station. Depending on the wind direction wherever you were in Stone the aroma hit you.

As a bit of trivia, the telephone number for Joule’s brewery used to be Stone 1 (one).

stuu

Established Member
This is very true. The new town is an absolute dive now, and has really gone downhill in recent years. Whilst Stevenage has always had its issues (such as the unfortunate reputation for having the highest number of teenage pregnancies in Hertfordshire), the whole new town hasn’t really handled the last decade well. The concrete was never going to age well, but on top of that there’s now empty shops galore, dereliction, and many more down & outs everywhere. It doesn’t really give the best advert that emerging from the station one walks through a dingy elevated subway through the leisure centre, which has had to have blue lighting installed because of drug issues.
Unfortunately you could write that about a great many towns across the country. Apart from the concrete

Hardcastle

Rutherglen needs a paint especially around the stairways & the main bridge on entry to the station seems flimsy & worn out this crosses multiple rail tracks too.

Class142sbad

Has anyone mentioned Sunderland station? I know it is being rebuilt now but the old entry into the station was grotty and gave an unpleasant feel. There is a little storage thing on one the Newcastle bound platform with mould growing in it and those plastic panels on the platforms which show a large no smoking sign or a zoomed up road markings which look and feel weird.
-1/10 from me. Hopefully the rebuilding of the station will make it better than its current state.

pitdiver

No one appears to have mentioned Luton yet. If they have my apologies. For somewhere that is hoping to gain city status. ( Pigs Flying) I think the station needs some attention

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has anyone mentioned Sunderland station? I know it is being rebuilt now but the old entry into the station was grotty and gave an unpleasant feel. There is a little storage thing on one the Newcastle bound platform with mould growing in it and those plastic panels on the platforms which show a large no smoking sign or a zoomed up road markings which look and feel weird.
-1/10 from me. Hopefully the rebuilding of the station will make it better than its current state.

Sunderland is very similar to Liverpool Central. Yes, a bit manky but functional, not the worst. The entrance hall is very manky, but then so is Sunderland town centre so it's entirely in keeping. I think the whole area needs some serious redevelopment.

No one appears to have mentioned Luton yet. If they have my apologies. For somewhere that is hoping to gain city status. ( Pigs Flying) I think the station needs some attention

I don't think Luton station is particularly bad, it's a standard Midland/Thameslink station very similar to all the others.

pitdiver

Sunderland is very similar to Liverpool Central. Yes, a bit manky but functional, not the worst. The entrance hall is very manky, but then so is Sunderland town centre so it's entirely in keeping. I think the whole area needs some serious redevelopment.

I don't think Luton station is particularly bad, it's a standard Midland/Thameslink station very similar to all the others.
My wife was born there and lived there for a number of years. A lifelong Luton Town supporter. Even she says the station is abysmal.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No one appears to have mentioned Luton yet. If they have my apologies.
Actually it has already, quite a few times. Post #191 and #193 for example. Certainly seems to have received more brickbats than bouquets.

Mikey C

Established Member
My wife was born there and lived there for a number of years. A lifelong Luton Town supporter. Even she says the station is abysmal.
Compared to the Kenilworth Road stadium - especially the decrepit away end - Luton Station is like Buckingham Palace :D

bramling

Veteran Member

The biggest problem with Luton station is that it’s in Luton. Anything else pales into insignificance compared with that!

PeterY

Established Member
Now, come on, can you imagine how bad Luton would be if it wasn't provided with a decent range of ways to leave it? :D
I have to agree with you Bletchleyite. :D

For me the grubbiest station has to be Crewe. What a depressing station. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather not be in the winter, than on Crewe station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

For me the grubbiest station has to be Crewe. What a depressing station. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather not be in the winter, than on Crewe station.

It is such a shame that the HS2 budget doesn't stretch to a full and total rebuild of Crewe to something that looks a bit more like Reading or London Bridge, given that it's one of the UK's most important interchanges.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Luton seems to be a cheap version of an art-deco station without the "art" - always find it bleak , especially in winter and with not very good interchange between platforms.

I cannot imagine how you think its a standard Thameslink station , - not that there is really , which varies on the Midland to either well preserved Victorian (say Harlington) , to more modern rebuilds - (St Albans is now coming up to the 5O anniversary of a cheap BR era rebuild - rebuilt beyond that job) , or you have more modern structures such as Bedford , Elstree etc.

I don't suppose the architectural gem that Blackfriars counts .......

Anyway , talking to those who know , needed though improvements to Luton are , there has never apparently been any interest in external fundng for development. It certainly needs it.

The unpleasantness got even worse when you tasted it……

Stone, Staffordshire used to have two breweries. One was Joule’s situated in Stone High Street the other was Bent’s situated not far from the Railway Station. Depending on the wind direction wherever you were in Stone the aroma hit you.

As a bit of trivia, the telephone number for Joule’s brewery used to be Stone 1 (one).
Ha Ha, Boddingtons wasn't the nicest pint. I lived in Hulme[MCR] next to the big brewery there, I had to shut my windows due to the smell of hops/yeast.

gazzaa2

Any mentions for Walsall? I wouldn't say it's dilapidated but just doesn't feel like a train station at all.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Indeed. It's not just the usual issues of unclean toilets and a hotchpotch of signage - you get that at virtually all major stations.

It's stuff like the grimy brick walls with vegetation growing out of them, the random waterfalls when it rains (who needs gutters?!), the rust and buddleia all over the place, the bare sections of ironwork with no roof... The latter frankly looks like like unrepaired WW2 bomb damage!

It's all just gives off an air of sad neglect. HS2 can't come soon enough to get it in a better state. There's not even much of historical value left, so arguably you'd be better ripping it all up and starting from scratch.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like Crewe, although it definitely needs tidying up. The main platform area has quite a pleasing conservatory feel about it.

gazzaa2

I like Crewe, although it definitely needs tidying up. The main platform area has quite a pleasing conservatory feel about it.

Once you're through the barriers you can stand on any platform, you can browse in Whsmith, get something to eat, have a drink in the bar etc, or plenty of space to just walk about to pass the time.

urbophile

Established Member
It is such a shame that the HS2 budget doesn't stretch to a full and total rebuild of Crewe to something that looks a bit more like Reading or London Bridge, given that it's one of the UK's most important interchanges.
That's because it's in the North (sort of: apologies to Geordies and Mackems)

Wtloild

Not been there in a few years, but last time it did, Middlesbrough felt like a badly maintained 1960s makeover of a Victorian poor-house.

Status
Not open for further replies.