• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Southern Shere TVMs being replaced by Scheidt & Bachmann TVMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
The no-access-to-tickets-from-another-station means I can't buy perfectly valid cheaper tickets southbound from Gatwick ( which I could with the ticket office and also using the old machines.)

Looks like we'll have to buy online and collect from the machine from now on. I don't buy any tickets direct from the machine anyway as it costs more because you miss out on cashback or Nectar points.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

I have encountered the Shere machines with signs saying they are not accepting cash, and/or that they are not giving change and to use exact money if paying by cash.

However, in all cases they actually all still accepted cash and gave change (funnily enough they did not accept in the new pound coin, but gave it out in change - furthermore, if paying halfway for a ticket and pressing cancel for a refund, the machine actually acted as an exchanger of old pounds to new)

Also they are quite unreliable when wanting to top up an Oyster. They will often fail to read your Oyster, but the way to fix it is to begin the process of buying a regular ticket including actually putting some money in (which is how I discovered the unexpected behaviour in the previous paragraph) and cancelling. This somehow resets the machine and it will then read your Oyster just fine.

I have also encountered the extremely slow behaviour mentioned in the previous post.

philjo

Established Member
A colleague was telling me the none of the machines at Hitchin were working on friday.

She also said that recently the person in front of her was buying a ticket from a TVM at Hitchin - it took his money and gave change but did not print any tickets or receipts !

Haywain

Veteran Member
One of the reasons for changing the machines must be about cash acceptance. I noticed recently that one of the old Worldline machines had a notice on it stating that it would not accept new £1 coins or new £5 notes. I suspect that what Worldline want to charge to upgrade these machines is not considered a worthwhile investment.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Two of the older machines at Stevenage were taken out of use last week (don't know which make they are) - suspect in the software license expired at the end of July. I always used them to collect my tickets as they printed in the old format.

Given that the new VTEC machine is also out of use there was rather a large queue at the four remaining TVMs that were working this morning.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I never - arrived back at Stevenage to see two new TVMs installed and working.

Status
Not open for further replies.