• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

387star

On Moderation
As has been noted be patient and don't call recruitment, they are still sifting applications there are over 21,000 to get through, I work for GTR and know that they simply dont want to be badgered by applicants, they will come to you when it is time
If you have passed assessments already I'd suggest firing off an email assuming you haven't been unsuccessful at sift but perhaps haven't heard back

I secured an interview in summer 2015 this way and the rest is history

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gs1

Hi,
I have a question which has been on my mind. I'm not sure if anyone else has given this much thought.
What do train drivers do if they need to use the toilet? Is there one next to the cab to quickly use whilst stopped or are they able to use the facilities at a train station whilst leaving a guard or supervisor to watch the train?
Any information will be appreciated, thanks.

Val3ntine

If you have passed assessments already I'd suggest firing off an email assuming you haven't been unsuccessful at sift but perhaps haven't heard back

I secured an interview in summer 2015 this way and the rest is history

I’m assuming that will be met with the same generic reply as the other posters on here had said they got. Successful applicants I believe have it stated in their email that they have passed the online stage however recruitment are now looking into wether they have done the psychometrics and if it’s to GTR’s standards or not. Most likely if they have had no reply yet means they simply just have not looked at their application yet.

Last edited:

Hustlequeen

Can you possibly enlighten me here... What is GLOP short for? Thanks Cosmic
It’s one of the tests on memory, it’s a passage you read all about a made up substance called glop that makes the track wheels run smoother and you have to remember what is written then answer questions on it after.

LCC106

Established Member
Gs1 If you’ve really got to go you’ve got to go. Best to try to moderate your drink intake as it doesn’t look favourable to have lots of delays stacking up due to driver in the loo. They get attributed to the Driving team along with any financial penalties arising as a result! You can never drive with a dicky tummy though!

TTDARL

Gs1.

Some TOCS have toilets on board their trains that can be used when / if you have sufficient ‘dwell time’ at a station or when changing ends at a terminus station. On occasions, trains can run early due to a variety of unforeseen reasons and you arrive at a calling point early thus potentially availing an opportunity to go to the toilet. But as another poster has mentioned, you learn very quickly about good food / drink intake skills to avoid the need to go whilst driving. It’s part of ones NTS skills to avoid unnecessary distractions and concentrating on the task at hand.
Unnecessary delays also have a larger effect on the running of your colleagues trains / delays and on the wider network as train movements are finely timed to allow smooth running.
Quite often I see a large quantity of plastic bottles filled with a yellow coloured liquid littering the line side, normally where signals or sidings are situated which may suggest some may urinate into a bottle and discard it. Allegedly.

Last edited:

MistaMatthews

Hi,
I have a question which has been on my mind. I'm not sure if anyone else has given this much thought.
What do train drivers do if they need to use the toilet? Is there one next to the cab to quickly use whilst stopped or are they able to use the facilities at a train station whilst leaving a guard or supervisor to watch the train?
Any information will be appreciated, thanks.
I remember seeing a whole thread on this which was quite an amusing read...

Daz88

Hi Guys newbie here :)

I recently applied for a GTR Trainee rail position which was online for 1 week on the 11th January 2021.

I was quite surprised the job opening was even there Considering I know some people on here were waiting for updates from last year December recruitment phase and even another one before that I believe.

I applied but didn’t expect to get a response back so soon as I know it can be along wait for any correspondence with HR with these matters.

i have just got a response back saying I have made it to a online assessment for a situational judgement exercise.

I wondered if anybody who has done one of these before has anything which they would advise practicing on etc or viewing before completing and what can be expected next if successful.

All advice appreciated ;)

also good luck to all other current applicants on here.

Wroyal

Hello. Is anyone knows about VTS test, part of Assessment day. I never heard of it before.

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Guys newbie here :)

I recently applied for a GTR Trainee rail position which was online for 1 week on the 11th January 2021.

I was quite surprised the job opening was even there Considering I know some people on here were waiting for updates from last year December recruitment phase and even another one before that I believe.

I applied but didn’t expect to get a response back so soon as I know it can be along wait for any correspondence with HR with these matters.

i have just got a response back saying I have made it to a online assessment for a situational judgement exercise.

I wondered if anybody who has done one of these before has anything which they would advise practicing on etc or viewing before completing and what can be expected next if successful.

All advice appreciated ;)

also good luck to all other current applicants on here.
The Situational Judgment test is to gauge how you NATURALLY react / what attributes are MOST LIKE YOU in specific circumstances. You can take a practise test but don’t try to second guess what they want you to behave like, just click on what’s most like you.

Daz88

The Situational Judgment test is to gauge how you NATURALLY react / what attributes are MOST LIKE YOU in specific circumstances. You can take a practise test but don’t try to second guess what they want you to behave like, just click on what’s most like you.
@LCC106 thanks for the response.

The email I received said there isn’t a practice opportunity for some reason.

I am unsure if this has changed since you done yours.

Thanks again for your advice.

LCC106

Established Member
I’m sure if you Google SHL personality questionnaire test you get one go to practise when you sign up. Your time may be better spent elsewhere though.

Char93

It’s 2 minutes per section there’s 5 sections. You need to try not to miss any and get down about at least 3/4 of the lines, I think there’s 15 lines. So 11/12 lines. But they want accuracy so remember that x

pull2g

GTR-1 Online test

Oh wise people..I completed the above test last week but yesterday received a reminder to complete the test! Obvs cannot access as test completed. Phoned OPC and they cannot help and said phone GTR.

Anyone else expereinced this, and suggestions as to solution greatly appreciated. Whilst I hope I pass my concern at this exact moment is that the deadline is 11th Feb and I kind of need assurance that my test results will be passed to GTR. Maybe I need a GTR contact number?

TIA

Daz88

It’s 2 minutes per section there’s 5 sections. You need to try not to miss any and get down about at least 3/4 of the lines, I think there’s 15 lines. So 11/12 lines. But they want accuracy so remember that x

Do you mean for the mini scaat test ?

As I am referring to the GTR 1 SJT online assessment which had no timer.

I have just completed it now so fingers crossed within 10 days they get back to me as the email says and then I believe its on to the Mini Scaat online after this stage but maybe I am wrong ?

Thanks for your response though none the less x

GTR-1 Online test

Oh wise people..I completed the above test last week but yesterday received a reminder to complete the test! Obvs cannot access as test completed. Phoned OPC and they cannot help and said phone GTR.

Anyone else expereinced this, and suggestions as to solution greatly appreciated. Whilst I hope I pass my concern at this exact moment is that the deadline is 11th Feb and I kind of need assurance that my test results will be passed to GTR. Maybe I need a GTR contact number?

TIA

Not sure what to advise here as I am a newbie. But I would of thought contacting GTR would be the thing to do if OPC have advised to contact them.

I would advise dropping HR a email or a call as you said.

Once I completed my assessment it just said they will be in touch in 10 days. I didn't get any email confirmation I had completed it or haven't yet at least.

I am unsure if you are to get it via email that its been completed ? hoping someone knows the answer as slightly worried myself now as seems odd to have no confirmation its completed.

Last edited:

Cwalker86

I wonder if anyone could help me, I applied for the trainee train driver role for great northern, back in December has anyone been successful with the first part of the application I've not heard anything back

Twotwo

I wonder if anyone could help me, I applied for the trainee train driver role for great northern, back in December has anyone been successful with the first part of the application I've not heard anything back

I've done the SJT and the mini scaat about two weeks ago. Got an email I was successful and they will be checking my previous driver assesments to see if its up to their standards. I know loads of other people who applied and still haven't heard back yet.

Fahim

GTR-1 Online test

TIA
Happened to me yesterday, I contacted HR and they told me to ignore it. Said they'll get back to me with the result after the deadline which was the 11th for me as well

MartinSmyth

Applied on the 7th December and today received an email saying my application to Great Northern was unsuccessful. I also applied for the Thameslink role and i am yet to receive any correspondence for that. Still clinging onto the thinnest of threads of hope! Im expecting another rejection email any minute now.

LCC106

Established Member
No consolation I know but try to think of every no at application stage as one step closer to a yes. It’s not never, just not right now.

Gs1

Hi,
I have a dilemma.
I've done GTR-1, waiting for results.
I have also been invited for an assessment day with another TOC for a future trainee part time driver on 2 March. I cant miss the opportunity but I would love to do an assessment centre with GTR for a full time position.
If I fail the tests with this toc in March does that mean I will not be able to do the assessments for GTR if I make it through? (Within 6 months).
I don't want to miss an opportunity but also don't want to jeopardise my chance with GTR.
Also if you fail one of the tests, does that mean you only have one more shot at doing that particular test again or do you have to retake all of them again?
Any help and thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Val3ntine

Hi,
I have a dilemma.
I've done GTR-1, waiting for results.
I have also been invited for an assessment day with another TOC for a future trainee part time driver on 2 March. I cant miss the opportunity but I would love to do an assessment centre with GTR for a full time position.
If I fail the tests with this toc in March does that mean I will not be able to do the assessments for GTR if I make it through? (Within 6 months).
I don't want to miss an opportunity but also don't want to jeopardise my chance with GTR.
Also if you fail one of the tests, does that mean you only have one more shot at doing that particular test again or do you have to retake all of them again?
Any help and thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

In my opinion, if you have a shot with a TOC already then go for it and do the assessments, you have no such guarantee with GTR as they can pull the plug at any time or even if successful keep you in a talent pool for years and years. The assessments will be the same regardless so will always be a win win or lose lose.

Win win is you do the assessments with the other TOC and pass:

- You progress with that other TOC
- GTR calls you up and says you don’t need to do assessments so you progress with them
- You end up having a job offer at both and have to choose which to accept
- Both take ages to progress you but you have assessments passes anyway so take that to another TOC when they recruit

Lose lose you do the assessments and fail:

- You would have most likely failed regardless which TOC you do it for as they’re exactly the same

pull2g

Happened to me yesterday, I contacted HR and they told me to ignore it. Said they'll get back to me with the result after the deadline which was the 11th for me as well
Cheers Fahim. Thats extremely reassuring to hear. the irony of potential failure feeling better if one knows they actually looked at the test resuts!