• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chippychips

Don’t give up! We’ve had plenty of new drivers aged 50+ come through in the past 5+ years or so.
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rank the conditions of Thameslink/GN?
I heard the taxi service no longer exists.. or is that a myth?

And can I ask if the training is 12 months? Or is it actually "less"? I assumed after classroom training and traction for 4 months, you would go with a DI?

choochoochoo

Established Member
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rank the conditions of Thameslink/GN?
I heard the taxi service no longer exists.. or is that a myth?

And can I ask if the training is 12 months? Or is it actually "less"? I assumed after classroom training and traction for 4 months, you would go with a DI?
New starters aren’t entitled to taxis into work. And have to commit to 12 Sundays a year ( but you can give them away to your colleagues)

You’ll struggle to complete in less than 12 months. There aren’t enough DIs for the inner routes. I don’t think they’ve done anymore recruiting of new DIs recently either.

I’d say the conditions at GN are ok overall, but new starters at Hornsey get the worst jobs. If you get into welwyn, it’s not too bad. Don’t know about TL side.

NSE

Established Member
You won’t complete in under twelve months. Also, being 51 is 100% not an issue.

Twotwo

It's been 18 months for me but an end date is near. But that was also due to waiting 5 months for a di. Hopefully things are a little better now....

Luckyflames

It's been 18 months for me but an end date is near. But that was also due to waiting 5 months for a di. Hopefully things are a little better now....
Congrats. You’ll soon be getting your key.

What’s the wait times like for a DMI?
It varies greatly. I waited a couple of months. For my DMI. But then waited a year for my MMI. Some wait a very short amount of time. Weeks for both in some cases.

chrisb1986

Ive passed my MMI as part of assessments undertaken via another operator so i assume i wouldn't be required to do this. I've been waiting 3 months so far.

GoTTi

Appreciate this has been asked multiple times, but I can’t seem to find the information, do Thameslink do MMI or DMI first? TIA

Charlottebrown

Hi everyone, could anyone please tell me what is checked at your medical....

I am assuming the following but if I have missed anything please could you let me know...

Eyesight
Blood pressure
Alcohol (breath test)
Drugs test
Height/Weight (BMI)

Anything missing?!

Also I am quite short, so my BMI is quite high, would this be a massive problem? I am on a diet/exercising more in a bid to reduce this, but even at my smallest about 60kg i was still classed as overweight due to the way BMI is calculated?

Thanks in advance!

Luckyflames

I am assuming the following but if I have missed anything please could you let me know...

Eyesight
Blood pressure
Alcohol (breath test)
Drugs test
Height/Weight (BMI)

Anything missing?!

Also I am quite short, so my BMI is quite high, would this be a massive problem? I am on a diet/exercising more in a bid to reduce this, but even at my smallest about 60kg i was still classed as overweight due to the way BMI is calculated?

Thanks in advance!
Take it you have a course date. ? Could I ask when you applied ?

Chippychips

Eyesight
Blood pressure
Alcohol (breath test)
Drugs test
Height/Weight (BMI)

Anything missing?!

Thanks in advance!
Did they do an ECG? Usually that tends to get done.
As for the BMI, dont worry about it. Haha I think 97.5% of drivers are classed as overweight!

Take it you have a course date. ? Could I ask when you applied ?
Theres a Great Northern course for 19th June. I was offered this same date. Applied September '22.

ElisaHarkness

Take it you have a course date. ? Could I ask when you app

Eyesight
Blood pressure
Alcohol (breath test)
Drugs test
Height/Weight (BMI)

Anything missing?!

Thanks in advance!
ECG & hearing..

They don’t calculate your BMI & that wouldn’t affect you getting through anyway!

BMI is rubbish anyway :lol:

Robcuk

Can you tell me the difference between the DMI and MMI interviews please? I’m worried I’m preparing the wrong things for DMI
Dmi will be the interview with manager(s) where I'd say they are trying to get to know you a little. They'll ask you a few questions e.g what do you know about the company/routes/traction etc ..

Mmi is the more structured one where they ask you 5/6 questions that you'll find on these threads and they'll ask you to elaborate. For example - name a time when you took control of a situation.

Stigy

Established Member
Can you tell me the difference between the DMI and MMI interviews please? I’m worried I’m preparing the wrong things for DMI
Probably the most important thing to note is that the MMI forms part of the psychometric assessments, where as the DMI doesn’t.

The MMI is competency based and you’ll have set questions, as has been said. The DMI will also be largely competency based, but with less of an emphasis on this, and no “probing” by assessors.

If anything, the MMI is the easier of the two quite often, because you’ll know what questions you’ll be asked before you’re actually interviewed and will write a paragraph in answer to each, which will be expanded on in the interview itself.

Mabs

When is your DMI? Also when did you get the email for the DMI?

I'm also waiting for the DMI after passing the DFFT.

Chrysalis

Does anyone know if the practice material the OPC send out before the assessment day is the same as the practice material you can buy from their website? Currently in the application round and trying to find out how best to practice the assessments so figured I'd ask in this thread. I don't really know if it's worth buying the practice tests if they're identical to what I'll be sent later on anyway.

Does anyone know if the practice material the OPC send out before the assessment day is the same as the practice material you can buy from their website? Currently in the application round and trying to find out how best to practice the assessments so figured I'd ask in this thread. I don't really know if it's worth buying the practice tests if they're identical to what I'll be sent later on anyway.

In my opinion, its not worth buying the practice material. I found what the OPC provide to be enough, you can also Google and find other material too.