• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jayrod

Failed My DMI for Southern bit gutted tbh, i found it quite difficult, I rehearsed, practised all the questions i've read online and Lost my confidence as soon as the Microsoft teams video call came up.

"I’m very sorry to advise that the interview panel have reviewed and scored your interview and you have not met the required criteria on this occasion. Unfortunately, we will not be progressing your application further.

However, now that we’ve got to know you better; we’ll be keeping you in mind for other roles that may be suitable."

Dose this mean they don't think i'm suitable for a train driver ? i've asked them for feedback

Azer85448

Failed My DMI for Southern bit gutted tbh, i found it quite difficult, I rehearsed, practised all the questions i've read online and Lost my confidence as soon as the Microsoft teams video call came up.

"I’m very sorry to advise that the interview panel have reviewed and scored your interview and you have not met the required criteria on this occasion. Unfortunately, we will not be progressing your application further.

However, now that we’ve got to know you better; we’ll be keeping you in mind for other roles that may be suitable."

Dose this mean they don't think i'm suitable for a train driver ? i've asked them for feedback
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you’ll get some constructive feedback, to get to the DMI over all the thousands of applicants proves you’re a strong candidate, your assessment centre results are valid for 5 years and there’s no reason you couldn’t pass DMI next time. There’s loads of examples on this forum of people who’ve not been successful multiple time but cracked it in the end. Stay positive and keep going. I’d personally find a Microsoft teams interview for something like this tough.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Possibly other “junior” roles perhaps like OBS or dispatcher

REO Nate

Sorry to hear this :'(

I think azer85448 is spot on.

How long did you have to wait to find out the result?

Quin79

Unlucky. It's a hard process and like others have said you'll come back next time and be very prepared for it. I'm talking from experience having narrowly failed my first DMI by one question. However this time around I was far more relaxed and comfortable, despite it also being on Teams and was successful in both DMI and the subsequent MMI. At the moment it'll still feel raw as inevitably you will have put a lot of effort in and have done fantastically well to have gotten to this stage. Take the time out to refresh, re group and 6 months will pass in no time at all if looking again at GTR. Just remember you haven't lost any "lives" and both are still in tact. Nothing will preclude you from applying to other TOC's/FOC's as the 6 month rule will not count with them.
Keep positive and all the best for next time. Don't give up!

jayrod

Unlucky. It's a hard process and like others have said you'll come back next time and be very prepared for it. I'm talking from experience having narrowly failed my first DMI by one question. However this time around I was far more relaxed and comfortable, despite it also being on Teams and was successful in both DMI and the subsequent MMI. At the moment it'll still feel raw as inevitably you will have put a lot of effort in and have done fantastically well to have gotten to this stage. Take the time out to refresh, re group and 6 months will pass in no time at all if looking again at GTR. Just remember you haven't lost any "lives" and both are still in tact. Nothing will preclude you from applying to other TOC's/FOC's as the 6 month rule will not count with them.
Keep positive and all the best for next time. Don't give up!
Thank you, your right it's been such a roller coaster of emotions, will be nice to sit back and chill out for a few months.

If I could offer any advice to anyone who's not used to interviews, really practice the STAR technique. It's definitely something could have worked on a bit more.

Cara

Sorry to hear this jayrod, especially as it is clear you put in a lot of prep and practice, from past experience of not getting jobs it always hurts more when you have put in the effort.
As so many others have said though, please do not let this deter you if you do want to try again. You did amazingly well to get to that point and they clearly see something in you that is special and want to find a place for you (they definitely could have worded that bit better though!). Hopefully they will give you some feedback and you can use this to go forward.

Wfc365

Hi All,

Recently undertook my assessment's few weeks ago and picked up a pass, now prepping for the DMI. (hopefully the others who attend also passed).

Those that have forgone the process already, am i right in thinking that the DMI is not part of the national assessment's?

With your prep did you focus on the whole of GTR in detail or more an awareness, and then in detail to the given TOC such as GN or Thameslink etc..

Was it long to hear your results and then obtain a date for the MMI?

Apologies to ask so many questions.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi All,

Recently undertook my assessment's few weeks ago and picked up a pass, now prepping for the DMI. (hopefully the others who attend also passed).

Those that have forgone the process already, am i right in thinking that the DMI is not part of the national assessment's?

With your prep did you focus on the whole of GTR in detail or more an awareness, and then in detail to the given TOC such as GN or Thameslink etc..

Was it long to hear your results and then obtain a date for the MMI?

Apologies to ask so many questions.

The DMI is a standard interview so not an assessment like the MMI is. Good luck!

Wfc365

The DMI is a standard interview so not an assessment like the MMI is. Good luck!
Thanks Stigy
I was wondering if I was unsuccessful what would be the options. I take it i wouldn't be able to apply to the TOC for 6 months but others i would be able to.
Seems odd that GTR do it in a different order to the others with DMI before the MMI

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy
I was wondering if I was unsuccessful what would be the options. I take it i wouldn't be able to apply to the TOC for 6 months but others i would be able to.
Seems odd that GTR do it in a different order to the others with DMI before the MMI
As you passed the psychometric assessments you’ve taken, you’ll be able to apply for any other TOC/FOC immediately if they’re recruiting. You’ll have to (more than likely) wait for 6 months to apply for the same TOC again, as you said.

Some TOCs do it that way now, which has always seemed a bit backward to me too. I guess it’s because it’s the (arguably) most complex of the assessments, some companies feel that by interviewing possible candidates themselves first, means they will only be interviewing fewer candidates and thus further wittling down the numbers of people who could technically pass the MMI (baring in mind hundreds may otherwise be suitable for the role).

Last edited:

Wfc365

As you passed the psychometric assessments, you’ll be able to apply for any other TOC/FOC immediately if they’re recruiting. You’ll have to (more than likely) wait for 6 months to apply for the same TOC again, as you said.

Some TOCs do it that way now, which has always seemed a bit backward to me too. I guess it’s because it’s the (arguably) most complex of the assessments, some companies feel that by interviewing possible candidates themselves first, means they will only be interviewing fewer candidates and thus further wittling down the numbers of people who could technically pass the MMI (baring in mind hundreds may otherwise be suitable for the role).
That logic i guess does make sense.

So do GTR still send people back to the MMI even if you failed the DMI with them?

Essentially leaving the candidate having passed everything at assessment but without an MMI

Best thing is to make sure i crack it of course lol

Stigy

Established Member
That logic i guess does make sense.

So do GTR still send people back to the MMI even if you failed the DMI with them?

Essentially leaving the candidate having passed everything at assessment but without an MMI

Best thing is to make sure i crack it of course lol
I can’t say definitively, but I doubt it. I’d imagine that’s the reason for doing the DMI first (so they don’t have to send people for assessment that they’re not going to employ).

Wfc365

I can’t say definitively, but I doubt it. I’d imagine that’s the reason for doing the DMI first (so they don’t have to send people for assessment that they’re not going to employ).
yer hopefully someone can clarify if they have been unfortunate to be in that scenario.

Quin79

yer hopefully someone can clarify if they have been unfortunate to be
If you fail either the DMI or MMI with GTR you'd have to wait 6 months to re-apply with GTR. But as Stigy said you can go to any other TOC/FOC and apply immediately. But you'd still have to apply, get through sift and online tests with the other TOC/FOC before they look at your assessment scores and determine if they meet their relevant pass (standard or enhanced), if not you'll be invited to their assessment centre to complete the relevant tests, often other TOC's have an additional VSE to complete. Many other TOC's as you've alluded to do have a 2 stage assessment centre, with the end of stage 2 tests doing the MMI. If pass that then you'll be invited back at a layer stage for DMI.

Even with your assessment pass with GTR after your 6 month wait you'd have to wait until they are recruiting and go through the application and sift, online tests before you'd get to the stage where if passed they would bypass your assessment for the interview. I believe you'd have to have another DMI before the final MMI.

Who knows what changes are ahead. For all any of us know they could re vamp the assessments and people in future would have to do a completely new/different process. As the current one has been around for a long time, and as we all know with the Dept of Transport slowly clawing back with GBR etc it wouldn't surprise me they re design the recruitment process so that every "TOC" or whatever they'd be called would have the same standardised process. All supposition but as say who knows what's ahead.

But good luck in next stage of DMI

Wfc365

If you fail either the DMI or MMI with GTR you'd have to wait 6 months to re-apply with GTR. But as Stigy said you can go to any other TOC/FOC and apply immediately. But you'd still have to apply, get through sift and online tests with the other TOC/FOC before they look at your assessment scores and determine if they meet their relevant pass (standard or enhanced), if not you'll be invited to their assessment centre to complete the relevant tests, often other TOC's have an additional VSE to complete. Many other TOC's as you've alluded to do have a 2 stage assessment centre, with the end of stage 2 tests doing the MMI. If pass that then you'll be invited back at a layer stage for DMI.

Even with your assessment pass with GTR after your 6 month wait you'd have to wait until they are recruiting and go through the application and sift, online tests before you'd get to the stage where if passed they would bypass your assessment for the interview. I believe you'd have to have another DMI before the final MMI.

Who knows what changes are ahead. For all any of us know they could re vamp the assessments and people in future would have to do a completely new/different process. As the current one has been around for a long time, and as we all know with the Dept of Transport slowly clawing back with GBR etc it wouldn't surprise me they re design the recruitment process so that every "TOC" or whatever they'd be called would have the same standardised process. All supposition but as say who knows what's ahead.

But good luck in next stage of DMI
Thanks for the feedback appreciated.

jamnelly89

Can anyone confirm this statement please?
“Once passed MMI with another TOC that would be considered as passed with GTR too.”

I’ve recently gone through DMI with GTR and was advised by HR that I would need to sit for MMI, I’ve already passed and completed full assessment including MMI with a different TOC, now I don’t know what to do, ideally I wouldn’t want to go through that again

Eggs&Bacon

“Once passed MMI with another TOC that would be considered as passed with GTR too.”

I’ve recently gone through DMI with GTR and was advised by HR that I would need to sit for MMI, I’ve already passed and completed full assessment including MMI with a different TOC, now I don’t know what to do, ideally I wouldn’t want to go through that again
Email your contact at GTR and tell them you've already sat the MMI. They will then check if it's still valid.

I can confirm this is true

ItchyRsole

How did you find the MMI mate?

REO Nate

Has anyone else recently had a DMI who is still waiting to find out the result?

I had a DMI on the 19/10 but haven’t had a result yet. I’ve emailed to follow up and so far haven’t had a response.

All feels a bit strange as some people appear to have had their result only 2-3 days later.

CrashBash

Has anyone else recently had a DMI who is still waiting to find out the result?

I had a DMI on the 19/10 but haven’t had a result yet. I’ve emailed to follow up and so far haven’t had a response.

All feels a bit strange as some people appear to have had their result only 2-3 days later.
Hi Nate,

What TOC is it with? Some take longer than expected. One of my colleagues had to wait for over a month to receive an outcome of his DMI.

I would suggest you to wait until Monday and drop another email to HR.

All the best!