• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

REO Nate

Wow, 18 months, I’ve been in the Brighton pool for 6 months, looks like there’s still some way to go. I was told GTR plan to take on 100 new drivers in 2022, so hopefully it’ll get moving. There do seem to be courses running regularly now and new people entering pools often, which has to be a positive sign.
Well hopefully if there is a Brighton course, I’ll meet you there. Lol.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joseph87

I have my assessment day on Friday for Southern- has one recently been that could shed some kind of light..!?

Cheers

Sly Sloth

A couple of tips…….
have a good nights rest, if you live miles from the assessment centre consider getting a hotel so you’re not up very early on the day of the assessment.
make sure you fully understand what each assessment asks of you! If unsure ask the assessor to clarify anything you don’t understand.
remain calm and enjoy the day! If you like a chat then do that between assessment, if you don’t then don’t!

ItchyRsole

And don't forget the stuff you've been asked to bring, passport, right to work evidence etc.

Two people unbelievably on my assessment day forgot theirs and were asked to leave. Absolutely criminal mistake to make.

Luckyflames

I have my assessment day on Friday for Southern- has one recently been that could shed some kind of light..!?

Cheers

Thought I’d share my experience. As
So many are so cloak and dagger.

A good nights sleep (it’s a long day). Get there with plenty of time. Take all documents with you. And try to relax.

Hopefully this may help you. Make sure that you practice every test they emailed to you. They are not the same. But very similar, to give you an idea what to expect on the day.

You’ll have the bourdon test first. 5 A3 sheets. 2 Mins per sheet. I reached around line 7 on each one. If you learn the shapes of the four dotted ones. You won’t go far wrong. Speed and accuracy is important. Next the dials test. Most should be ok with this this. Quite easy. Basically prioritising a specific order. If you don’t understand just ask. 42 questions in 8 Mins. You will do very well to
Get to the last question. Think I managed to get to around question 35. Memory test next. You’re give. A passage to read approx A4. You’re given 10 Mins I think it was… Make sure to write loads of notes. I used a red pen, made it easier to remember. (May not work
For everyone) Memorise facts, numericals, colours, Times, etc. you then have your notes taken
Away and have to sit there for 5 minutes. Use this time to continually run through as much as you can remember and visualise your notes. You then have 15 questions all multiple choice. If you’re running out of time. Just guess any you’re unsure of. You are not penalised for a wrong answer in this test. Then the phone directory and tones. Counting tones whilst ticking off certain symbols on a telephone type A3 sheet. Concentrate here. And you have to be quick. 1st test, circling symbols on an A3 telephone directory style page. (Just circle every double symbol regardless of what it is) 2nd test, counting tones from an audible player. You have to count the high tones. Around 10 questions. (Tap your thigh each time you hear one). 3rd test tones and directory. Concentrate on the tones here. Because you don’t even need to concentrate on the directory. Again just circle every double symbol. Then the fault finding. Take your time. I found this the hardest, I made the fatal
Error of filling in the wrong answer on the answer sheet and had to go back. Use a blank piece of paper to cover up the question below so not to get confused. You get two practice questions to make sure you understand. And if you don’t understand before you start. keep asking until you do. The questions get continually harder as you go. I only got to question 12 here. (But still passed). Then you’ll write 6 short answers to questions. Make sure you take a copy. You’ll need these if successful at a later date for your MMI interview. Use your answers to emphasise the qualities of a train driver. Focus without hesitation concentration following rules and procedures remaining calm etc etc. Then lunch. Back for the computer tests 1st test is staring at a grey square on a computer screen for 30 mins. Every time it turns black. Hit the green button. Do not be fooled it’s an obvious change to black. Counting passes the time. And move head back and forwards to help with concentration. It’ll start looking black after about 20 mins, but again don’t be fooled It’s an obvious change. Do not miss one. And do not hit the green button if it’s grey. Also ignore others in the room. The girl next to me after around 15 minutes hit the green button every single time until the end of the test. . ( quite off putting ) Then test 2 Around 25 images flash up for a fraction of a second . Go on your instinct. You have to pick weather traffic lights, road signs, cycles, pedestrians and cars. Pretty sure there are at least 2 to 3 in each image. Then the hardest of all. The hand co - ordination. Take your time on the practices. If you don’t go to the end on your two practice attempts you can keep going round again and again until you get better ( I didn’t do this as I didn’t know you could ) You have headphones on. Left controller moves the small circle left and right the right controller up and down. They are very very sensitive. Every time the small circle comes out of the track it’ll beep in your ear. you have to go round the track 10 times after your practice. Do not be disheartened. If you go out ? And you will. Just concentrate get back
Inside the track and carry on. I went out a **** load of times. And was sure I’d failed. But passed to enhanced. I’m pretty sure they are looking for improvement throughout and how
Quickly you get back into the track.

Then a questionnaire. To help them gain what type of personality and decision making you will have. This will be used as to what type of questions they interrupt you with during your MMI.

Best of luck.

Cheers
How’d you get on ?

Last edited:

SLee

Thought I’d share my experience. As
So many are so cloak and dagger.

A good nights sleep (it’s a long day). Get there with plenty of time. Take all documents with you. And try to relax.

Hopefully this may help you. Make sure that you practice every test they emailed to you. They are not the same. But very similar, to give you an idea what to expect on the day.

You’ll have the bourdon test first. 5 A3 sheets. 2 Mins per sheet. I reached around line 7 on each one. If you learn the shapes of the four dotted ones. You won’t go far wrong. Speed and accuracy is important. Next the dials test. Most should be ok with this this. Quite easy. Basically prioritising a specific order. If you don’t understand just ask. 42 questions in 8 Mins. You will do very well to
Get to the last question. Think I managed to get to around question 35. Memory test next. You’re give. A passage to read approx A4. You’re given 10 Mins I think it was… Make sure to write loads of notes. I used a red pen, made it easier to remember. (May not work
For everyone) Memorise facts, numericals, colours, Times, etc. you then have your notes taken
Away and have to sit there for 5 minutes. Use this time to continually run through as much as you can remember and visualise your notes. You then have 15 questions all multiple choice. If you’re running out of time. Just guess any you’re unsure of. You are not penalised for a wrong answer in this test. Then the phone directory and tones. Counting tones whilst ticking off certain symbols on a telephone type A3 sheet. Concentrate here. And you have to be quick. 1st test, circling symbols on an A3 telephone directory style page. (Just circle every double symbol regardless of what it is) 2nd test, counting tones from an audible player. You have to count the high tones. Around 10 questions. (Tap your thigh each time you hear one). 3rd test tones and directory. Concentrate on the tones here. Because you don’t even need to concentrate on the directory. Again just circle every double symbol. Then the fault finding. Take your time. I found this the hardest, I made the fatal
Error of filling in the wrong answer on the answer sheet and had to go back. Use a blank piece of paper to cover up the question below so not to get confused. You get two practice questions to make sure you understand. And if you don’t understand before you start. keep asking until you do. The questions get continually harder as you go. I only got to question 12 here. (But still passed). Then you’ll write 6 short answers to questions. Make sure you take a copy. You’ll need these if successful at a later date for your MMI interview. Use your answers to emphasise the qualities of a train driver. Focus without hesitation concentration following rules and procedures remaining calm etc etc. Then lunch. Back for the computer tests 1st test is staring at a grey square on a computer screen for 30 mins. Every time it turns black. Hit the green button. Do not be fooled it’s an obvious change to black. Counting passes the time. And move head back and forwards to help with concentration. It’ll start looking black after about 20 mins, but again don’t be fooled It’s an obvious change. Do not miss one. And do not hit the green button if it’s grey. Also ignore others in the room. The girl next to me after around 15 minutes hit the green button every single time until the end of the test. . ( quite off putting ) Then test 2 Around 25 images flash up for a fraction of a second . Go on your instinct. You have to pick weather traffic lights, road signs, cycles, pedestrians and cars. Pretty sure there are at least 2 to 3 in each image. Then the hardest of all. The hand co - ordination. Take your time on the practices. If you don’t go to the end on your two practice attempts you can keep going round again and again until you get better ( I didn’t do this as I didn’t know you could ) You have headphones on. Left controller moves the small circle left and right the right controller up and down. They are very very sensitive. Every time the small circle comes out of the track it’ll beep in your ear. you have to go round the track 10 times after your practice. Do not be disheartened. If you go out ? And you will. Just concentrate get back
Inside the track and carry on. I went out a **** load of times. And was sure I’d failed. But passed to enhanced. I’m pretty sure they are looking for improvement throughout and how
Quickly you get back into the track.

Then a questionnaire. To help them gain what type of personality and decision making you will have. This will be used as to what type of questions they interrupt you with during your MMI.

Best of luck.

How’d you get on ?
I didn’t read your whole post but now having done the assessments myself I understand the cloak and dagger.

It really should be a test of are you good enough individually without outside help. Generally the TOC does provide enough info for the candidate to practice with.

I mean I was the same, I wanted to know what to expect and what questions I might be asked, but end of the day they are tests of the individuals ability.
And when it comes to the interview questions preparing the questions someone else was asked could cost you the job if you are asked different questions that you aren’t prepared for.

ItchyRsole

I didn’t read your whole post but now having done the assessments myself I understand the cloak and dagger.

It really should be a test of are you good enough individually without outside help. Generally the TOC does provide enough info for the candidate to practice with.

I mean I was the same, I wanted to know what to expect and what questions I might be asked, but end of the day they are tests of the individuals ability.
And when it comes to the interview questions preparing the questions someone else was asked could cost you the job if you are asked different questions that you aren’t prepared for.

Exactly.

Luckyflames

Evening all.

Monthly update coming soon.

I was just trying to gauge how many of us are awaiting a course ?

TL, Southern or Northern ?

And how long you’ve been waiting in the pool for. I estimate there’s around 10-20 on here. Or am
I way off. ?

Quin79

Evening all.

Monthly update coming soon.

I was just trying to gauge how many of us are awaiting a course ?

TL, Southern or Northern ?

And how long you’ve been waiting in the pool for. I estimate there’s around 10-20 on here. Or am
I way off. ?
Starting soon

Last edited:

Luckyflames

Judging on the limited responses. This bodes well for those of us waiting for a course.

Just received an update. The wait continues for me. Next update 11/4/22.

Last edited:

KJCross1983

I wonder what's going to happen with this driver recruitment once the franchise runs out on the 31st March 2022. As Govia (Go-ahead), is the only company that has bidded for the franchise they are not certain they will get it renewed because of all the money they owe the Courts and the Government. The other thing that has come out was the GBR report, stating once a franchise has ended the Government will take over to form the Great British Railway.

Quin79

I wonder what's going to happen with this driver recruitment once the franchise runs out on the 31st March 2022. As Govia (Go-ahead), is the only company that has bidded for the franchise they are not certain they will get it renewed because of all the money they owe the Courts and the Government. The other thing that has come out was the GBR report, stating once a franchise has ended the Government will take over to form the Great British Railway.
Well I've got a start date beyond March and still very much same T&C's etc as previous months, years etc. So I wouldn't worry or speculate

1_on

I just saw and article saying that Govia is reportedly being awarded a “national rail contract”, which will allow it continue operations.

ItchyRsole

What are they actually waiting for before offering course places? I presume it's people moving depots, retiring, staff increase??

From my own working environment not many people move and definitely not often.

Got a feeling this is gonna be a long slog.