• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Charchar

no way! That is crazy! I have a start date 6th March. What company did you apply for?

What company did you apply to?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charchar

Ok I applied great northern. Guessing they are waiting for their numbers of southern drivers to dip lower before taking on a new batch

REO Nate

You both seem to be accelerating through the process at lighting speed. Congrats. I applied Dec 20. Completed the whole process Feb 22. Awaiting a start date. Which may never happen. After reading posts in here.
I feel you mate

Applied Dec 2020 and completed process Oct 2021.

Hanging on in there and still hoping.

lawtoni

Hang in there guys. I applied in dec 2020, started with GN in Oct 2021.
I’m with my DI and a couple of months away from passing out
If you do get a start, it’s such a rewarding job, but demanding of huge levels of concentration.
Good luck to all

Charchar

If you do get a start, it’s such a rewarding job, but demanding of huge levels of concentration.
Good luck to all
When you are training Does the pay increase gradually as you pass modules or does it only increase once passed out?

lawtoni

No. Flat rate of circa 32k until you pass out. Plus back pay to cover the difference between trainee and full wage for time spent waiting for a DI over 10 weeks. Payable when you pass out

Oh I am curious about great northern. Taking a pay cut has me wondering if it gradually rises or n

Twotwo

Like to add another thing. When you are with your driver instructor you can do rest day work to bump up your pay. Also if you have a driver instructor who is from a different depot you also get travel time allowance.

Charchar

No. Flat rate of circa 32k until you pass out. Plus back pay to cover the difference between trainee and full wage for time spent waiting for a DI over 10 weeks. Payable when you pass out

Oh I am curious about great northern. Taking a pay cut has me wondering if it gradually rises or n
ok. Currently work for LU and getting the trainee contract has me scratching my head as to what is on offer. Am I correct in thinking once qualified the holiday days goes up ?

Like to add another thing. When you are with your driver instructor you can do rest day work to bump up your pay. Also if you have a driver instructor who is from a different depot you also get travel time allowance.
This is very helpful to know thank you

Chippy123

Good luck to all
Hi @lawtoni , out of curiosity how long did you have to wait for a DI? I started in July 2022, and finishing traction this week. So will be waiting for a DI from next week onwards. I’m Hornsey Inners and just trying to get an idea. Thanks

lawtoni

Hi @lawtoni , out of curiosity how long did you have to wait for a DI? I started in July 2022, and finishing traction this week. So will be waiting for a DI from next week onwards. I’m Hornsey Inners and just trying to get an idea. Thanks
4months but there are a good few more DIs these days

Robcuk

Hi...asking for a friend. Does anyone know if the SJ test for a position at GTR an enhanced test? I know someone who failed the SJ test a few months back and wondered if he applied for other tocs would the GTR SJ failure stand in there way. Thanks for any advice/insights.

Luckyflames

Curious to know how many of us are awaiting a Southern course pending Medical ? With the recent news of 8/16 places for Shunter to mainline programme for Selhurst / Victoria & Brighton.

Which depot are you awaiting and how long have you been in the pool ?

Porter

Curious to know how many of us are awaiting a Southern course pending Medical ? With the recent news of 8/16 places for Shunter to mainline programme for Selhurst / Victoria & Brighton.

Which depot are you awaiting and how long have you been in the pool ?
Does that mean drivers who are currently shunters, switching to mainline for those depots? That's probably not good news for anyone awaiting those depots surely.

KJCross1983

On reading the Shunters to mainline driver. Looks like the shunters are going to be fast tracked and bypass everyone in talent pools.

Chippychips

Does anyone know if there's a London weighting for a Thameslink/GN driver? Or do all drivers (Kings Lynn, Cambridge, Brighton, London etc) recieve the same headline salary regardless of location?

I've heard there is a weighting, I've heard there isn't a weighting. I'm not sure what's correct and what's incorrect...

whoosh

Established Member
Does anyone know if there's a London weighting for a Thameslink/GN driver? Or do all drivers (Kings Lynn, Cambridge, Brighton, London etc) recieve the same headline salary regardless of location?

I've heard there is a weighting, I've heard there isn't a weighting. I'm not sure what's correct and what's incorrect...
No London Weighting. WAGN used to have for Kings Cross drivers, but I don't think Thameslink did for Blackfriars (now closed as a traincrew depot) drivers. Either way, when pay was harmonised between the two parts under First Capital Connect, London weighting was abolished, so all traincrew depots whether TL or GN are on the same salary.

joshuan542

On reading the Shunters to mainline driver. Looks like the shunters are going to be fast tracked and bypass everyone in talent pools.
Correct, a portion of driving roles are now allocated to the progression programme within the company, so essentially it does reduce the number of externals joining courses so talent pools will take more time to be sifted now

Chippychips

No London Weighting. WAGN used to have for Kings Cross drivers, but I don't think Thameslink did for Blackfriars (now closed as a traincrew depot) drivers. Either way, when pay was harmonised between the two parts under First Capital Connect, London weighting was abolished, so all traincrew depots whether TL or GN are on the same salary.
Ah ok great. Thanks for the info

Luckyflames

Correct, a portion of driving roles are now allocated to the progression programme within the company, so essentially it does reduce the number of externals joining courses so talent pools will take more time to be sifted now
I would love to know how many external applicants are waiting in the talent pools.

joshuan542

I would love to know how many external applicants are waiting in the talent pools.
I dread to know the numbers myself, there is talk among some staff of course but it’s always a Chinese whispers situation on these things without the actual facts, the sad thing is it seems not a lot of talent pool occupiers get to the courses either and end up waiting for many years without contact, I know a fair few cases of this even internally

Luckyflames

I dread to know the numbers myself, there is talk among some staff of course but it’s always a Chinese whispers situation on these things without the actual facts, the sad thing is it seems not a lot of talent pool occupiers get to the courses either and end up waiting for many years without contact, I know a fair few cases of this even internally
I must admit. Bing in the pool
13 months myself and initial application in Dec 20. I’m resigning myself to maybe. It seems like just a pipe dream. After all the effort to succeed through the whole application process. No guarantee of a position. Oh well. Still proud of myself for getting through.

Sly Sloth

I’m not trying to spark an unnecessary debate but passing on what I’m hearing from route learners currently coming through school…. The courses seem to be split as 4 internal and 4 external. 4 of each sex. But there does seem to be a discrepancy in waiting time in talent pools between the sexes with men waiting considerably longer than women for course dates. Again to balance the argument there would be a 90/10 ratio of men to women applying so you’d expect 1 of the pools to be moving faster than the other!

john71

I must admit. Bing in the pool
13 months myself and initial application in Dec 20. I’m resigning myself to maybe. It seems like just a pipe dream. After all the effort to succeed through the whole application process. No guarantee of a position. Oh well. Still proud of myself for getting through.
I was in the pool as an external for about 21 months. Started in January. Don’t give up hope

Driver_wife

I’m not trying to spark an unnecessary debate but passing on what I’m hearing from route learners currently coming through school…. The courses seem to be split as 4 internal and 4 external. 4 of each sex. But there does seem to be a discrepancy in waiting time in talent pools between the sexes with men waiting considerably longer than women for course dates. Again to balance the argument there would be a 90/10 ratio of men to women applying so you’d expect 1 of the pools to be moving faster than the other!
Not necessarily true I waited longer than some of the men in my course - one external man in my course waited 3 years

So seems random..