• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR uniform selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandan1

Hi guys, starting my training next month for Great Northern and am currently ordering uniform. However the order sheets iv been emailed are less than informative and look like a generic sheet sent to all employees. As a driver do I need to order some shirts and some polo shirts? Or can I use up all my 7 on just polo shirts? It does not say we require shirts. But does say 'polo shirt - driver'.

Also I have this sheet for boots and bag.

Again no supporting info, just this sheet. Do I have to order shoes? Or boots? Or can I order my own? If so any recommendations. And a bag.... compulsory to buy theirs?

Thankyou in advance

Dan

Attachments

• trainee equipment for ordering (1).docx
    285 KB · Views: 179
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrGrumpy

As a fellow GTR employee, I think you can have just seven polo shirts. However, it's good to have a couple of normal shirts on stand-by, just in case something a little more formal pops up requiring a tie.

Dave999

I went for the most expensive £59.99 boots and they are fine, you can choose any of them as they are all to safety standard I believe. Also with the polo shirts I ordered 3 and got a mix of the other shirts, wish I got a couple more of the polo's through as they are what I wear everyday now.

332 > 444

Oh so drivers have a choice of polo and normal shirts too, I've mostly seen them in polo shirts these days. No Magnum boots eh?

So you get uniform before starting induction?

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Don't you get an allowance to order 130points worth of more stuff before July 2017?

Once uniform is issued, you can order more shirts if needed.

I went for slightly cheaper boot . I thought those 60quid boots look hideous.

Dave999

Haha, those boots are fine and comfortable! Yes you do get 130 points to use by July also.

whoosh

Established Member
You can have all polo shirts if you wish. Go up two sizes for polo shirts as they are sized for a small Malaysian competitive cyclist.
Go down a size for the heavyweight jumper if you get one of those.
Sleeveless jumpers are sized okay, and normal shirts have plenty of room.
Maybe go up one size waist for trousers (lots of people have said that, but I'm not sure whether I was just more tubby than I thought!)

whoosh

Established Member

Again no supporting info, just this sheet. Do I have to order shoes? Or boots? Or can I order my own? If so any recommendations. And a bag.... compulsory to buy theirs?

Thankyou in advance

Dan

I don't know why the company give us that list with the prices on - they are paying not you!

I have known Drivers arrange with their Manager to source their own shoes or boots and claim the expense back - you'd need to discuss it with them first.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Anyone at GN know if we can get dry cleaning vouchers from the company for washing our uniform.
(The last company I worked for that had uniform gave me vouchers. Admittedly they weren't a TOC.)

Or is it a cost I can write off against my taxable income ?

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I domt normally get involved in this part of the forum but spotted this. If you wear a uniform at work and are responsible for its care and upkeep i.e sticking it in the machine, going to bed and waking up to find it ready to wear again then you can claim a uniform tax rebate. Throw it at google and all the info and forms you need should come up.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Thanks. Didn't have to worry about it at my last place because they just threw dry cleaning vouchers at us.

But will google uniform tax rebate as suggested.

tsr

Established Member
Anyone at GN know if we can get dry cleaning vouchers from the company for washing our uniform.
(The last company I worked for that had uniform gave me vouchers. Admittedly they weren't a TOC.)

Or is it a cost I can write off against my taxable income ?

Can't speak for GN specifically, but never heard about anything like that throughout the rest of GTR. However, from a purely cleaning-related perspective (though I suspect you ask in the spirit of easing general maintenance!) GTR uniforms are generally machine washable. Although I tend to find the stuff is not always terribly hard-wearing, maintenance is not really very tricky.

(I am aware that this varies considerably at other TOCs. Doesn't GWR have dry-clean-only jackets or something?)

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Can't speak for GN specifically, but never heard about anything like that throughout the rest of GTR. However, from a purely cleaning-related perspective (though I suspect you ask in the spirit of easing general maintenance!) GTR uniforms are generally machine washable. Although I tend to find the stuff is not always terribly hard-wearing, maintenance is not really very tricky.

(I am aware that this varies considerably at other TOCs. Doesn't GWR have dry-clean-only jackets or something?)

Thanks for the info regarding the ease of maintenance. I was only curious as I hate doing laundry and ironing so was hoping to palm this off to a cleaners without having to be out of pocket.

Guess I'll just be bunging the uniform in the machine and hang drying in the bathroom for minimal creasing.

Jme_Bud

Hi guys, starting my training next month for Great Northern and am currently ordering uniform. However the order sheets iv been emailed are less than informative and look like a generic sheet sent to all employees. As a driver do I need to order some shirts and some polo shirts? Or can I use up all my 7 on just polo shirts? It does not say we require shirts. But does say 'polo shirt - driver'.

Thankyou in advance

Dan

Do you know if you can use the New Starter form to order your additional 130 points items too, or can you do this at a later date?

Dave999

You might be able to but as soon as you start you can order through the website.

danbox1981

At what stage do you get uniform? In training or when you pass?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dknight05

Yes woud like to know weather you get uniform in training or when passed too please , anyone ? :)

choochoochoo

Established Member
Does anybody else find the black jumpers very scratchy and coarse ?

Any tips on what to wash it / soften it with so its not so irritating ?

whoosh

Established Member
No, although we have got lightweight summer trousers now, after at least one male driver ordered a skirt last summer!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Do you think I might be allowed to get summer shoes too ? The boots are great for winter but my feet are so hot and sweaty in them right now.

ninhog

Do you think I might be allowed to get summer shoes too ? The boots are great for winter but my feet are so hot and sweaty in them right now.

No- you'll have to put up with the approved safety footwear. They're not too bad.

choochoochoo

Established Member
No- you'll have to put up with the approved safety footwear. They're not too bad.

So it's not possible to get both safety shoes as well as safety boots ?

I got no problem with them being company issue safety wear, just finding my socks soaked through with sweat after wearing my boots. (Sorry for the not so pleasant description).

ninhog

So it's not possible to get both safety shoes as well as safety boots ?

I got no problem with them being company issue safety wear, just finding my socks soaked through with sweat after wearing my boots. (Sorry for the not so pleasant description).

You only get one pair of shoes/boots. I guess there's nothing stopping you from buying a second pair, as long as they meet the safety standard of the original pair.

choochoochoo

Established Member
You only get one pair of shoes/boots. I guess there's nothing stopping you from buying a second pair, as long as they meet the safety standard of the original pair.

Yeah I'll have to do that.

Does anybody pick up on those not adhering to uniform policy ? Especially safety equipment ? Just noticed a lot of drivers in shoes other than those of the safety variety.

I know in my old job we had 'uniform police' who would make you aware of infringements.

Status
Not open for further replies.