• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWML - OLE Alterations eastwards from Acton Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
I'm not sure which thread to put this in, so I started one anew.
Passing through the area on the weekend, I saw that two portal masts had gone up in the Main Cess & Relief Cess, just west of Acton ML station. The portal was boom-less on Saturday, but had gained a boom on Sunday with lots of sealing ends - which I think implies they might be trying to alter the switching arrangements.

Is this, by any chance, part of the works for Old Oak Common?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WiredUp

Possibly for a project called Faster Safer Isolations or it's ATF related... What was the structure number?

WiredUp

Cables will either be flexball drives (should really use a pear drive), possibly feeds or for the High Level Reliable Indicator devices fitted to the switches.

Probably was J/07/07A

59CosG95

Established Member
Turns out it was for OOC Enabling Works:
Boom Goes Old Oak Common

Big milestone with the installation of the boom of this new 4-track OLE structure just outside of Acton Main Line Station.

This mast will hold new switches key to enabling the possession and isolation regime for our HS2 Enabling Works at Old Oak Common.

A huge effort by the whole team to get this installed safely and on programme by applying the principles of PACE!
1637744985570.png

WAO

When we lament the lack of new electrification schemes, perhaps we forget the great efforts by NR in improving the existing system.

WAO

bnc2018

I wonder why they didn't put the boom on the existing masts for the headspan like they did for the ECML headspan replacements. Would have at least saved the piling, and for once the old masts actually look more substantial than the new ones

pdeaves

Established Member
I wonder why they didn't put the boom on the existing masts for the headspan like they did for the ECML headspan replacements. Would have at least saved the piling, and for once the old masts actually look more substantial than the new ones
I have no inside information, but maybe later on, the old masts will be in the wrong place, either through something else needing to go there or to get the geometry/fixing points right for the contact wire.

59CosG95

Established Member
There seems to be an unwritten rule in modern design that OLE feeding masts (like the new boom) and OLE registration masts (like the legacy headspan) are kept separate. The legacy headspan, which also has feeding arrangements, was built in a time when feeding and registration arrangements shared structures.

WiredUp

59CosG95 there is nothing in the standards that requires this; switches and feeds can use the same steelwork as those for registering wire runs.

There are some other potential upcoming changes in the area for the enabling works which may have dictated that the old headspan masts can't be reused. It also looks like the headspan in question formed an old boosted overlap (BT's since removed) which means there may have been a load of bracketry attached to the masts, and hence it wasn't worth the trouble of attempting to reuse it.

One of the other problems with the HS2P conversions on old masts is that there is a level difference between the top of the masts and the boom - not a problem if you are just registering at the location but not helpful when running operating rods/cables up and over onto it. I stole the image below from an LNER cab ride video - this is the HS2P at Connington - you get the idea.

I'm sure the designers were on the ball when it came to this configuration.

1639154271433.png

Status
Not open for further replies.