• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 150's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Travelled on GWR 150's last week between Exeter St. Davids and Paignton and back.

What a difference to the Northern units, like night and day. Lovely and clean inside and out and really smart inside, an absolute world away from the dirty and crappy Northern units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Exactly! I had the same thought when I was down in Cornwall in October 2019.

dmu fan

Travelled on GWR 150's last week between Exeter St. Davids and Paignton and back.

What a difference to the Northern units, like night and day. Lovely and clean inside and out and really smart inside, an absolute world away from the dirty and crappy Northern units.
Totally agree. Comfy seating too. Had the pleasure of a 150 from Newton Abbot to Paignton a couple of weekends back. Has a 165 from Bristol to cam. What a horrid train.

Gaz55

Don't they have 3 pin sockets as well as USB ports, whereas the Northern units have only been refurbished with USB?

superalbs

Established Member
I may be mistaken with 216 but it's definitely not one of our original allocation.
It has been down here for many years, though, but 207 is a recent addition (in exchange for the toiletless pair).

207 is an absolutely hideous unit mind, with at least three different colour schemes fighting away at each other.

387star

On Moderation
There are two 150s with ex London Midland interiors with original seats but fully refurbished. Three still have first great western interiors as they were refurbished before the rebranding programme started. Then 207 as well as mentioned
But yes they are nice units. It's thanks to Wessex who devised the interior and apart from prm mods and new lighting the seating configuration is as was but with more pleasing colours.

fgwrich

Established Member
There are two 150s with ex London Midland interiors with original seats but fully refurbished. Three still have first great western interiors as they were refurbished before the rebranding programme started. Then 207 as well as mentioned
But yes they are nice units. It's thanks to Wessex who devised the interior and apart from prm mods and new lighting the seating configuration is as was but with more pleasing colours.

202 and 216 are the ex London Midland pair, having arrived with the 150/1s and /0 twins.

Interior wise, it’s thanks to the slightly earlier Wales and West - as the native Valley Lines units received the same interiors too. Though I still feel FGW made it the best.

Established Member
I had a pretty memorable journey on 150221 the other week, from Looe to Liskeard on only one engine! The climb from Coombe Junction up to Liskeard was a struggle to say the least. Upon arrival at Liskeard its next working down to Looe was cancelled, so I assumed it was being taken out of service. Imagine my surprise to see it out on the St Ives branch the following day paired up with 207, still on just the one engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.