• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR 1st catering now weekdays (& before 7:30pm) only, and not for Paddington Oxford customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m not as petty as to be fussed about where in Britain the food comes from so long as it’s fairly substantial and offered consistently. It is neither at the moment, but then neither is LNER - which is arguably worse as though their offerings are far more prestige, so are the expectations when you board, and so is the disappointment on “Deli.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I’m not as petty as to be fussed about where in Britain the food comes from so long as it’s fairly substantial and offered consistently. It is neither at the moment, but then neither is LNER - which is arguably worse as though their offerings are far more prestige, so are the expectations when you board, and so is the disappointment on “Deli.”
Obviously it is better to serve local beer and cider rather than crap like Carling and Strongbow.

I don't think it's petty tbh, locally sourced is more likely to be better quality

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I regret never having used the old travelling chef service. I did intend to before it ceased, however I travelled on a Saturday.

pgfb1306

Since we also have the best British public train catering on GWR (Pullman Dining), it's disappointing to read this. Travelled on the 2330 from Paddington a few months back on a public holiday evening and was offered the usual GWR First Class offerings if I wanted it! Was disappointed by LNER's Festival menu with the lack of any sort of hot dish, but was most delighted with the return of Irn Bru and an extra special box of Edinburgh Rock!

fgwrich

Established Member
Obviously it is better to serve local beer and cider rather than crap like Carling and Strongbow.

I don't think it's petty tbh, locally sourced is more likely to be better quality
Indeed - it’s something else that ties the service to the region. I would rather enjoy a Tribute and a packet of Burts crisps on my way back to the West Country, than a pissy can of larger and a packet of Walkers you could pick up from any Tesco Express in the country. Just small touches like locally sourced, quality produce that makes an otherwise fairly normal journey that little bit more enjoyable.

Since we also have the best British public train catering on GWR (Pullman Dining), it's disappointing to read this. Travelled on the 2330 from Paddington a few months back on a public holiday evening and was offered the usual GWR First Class offerings if I wanted it! Was disappointed by LNER's Festival menu with the lack of any sort of hot dish, but was most delighted with the return of Irn Bru and an extra special box of Edinburgh Rock!

Indeed! He says… having bought a bottle of Irn Bru before boarding my LNER service and finding it back on the menu last week :lol: That said, I’d have rather they went for the famous tea cake than the caramel wafer (as great as it is). So I went for the Edinburgh Rock as well!

route101

Established Member
As much as I prefer local produce sold on services, the masses generally prefer well known brands.

I only recall Irn Bru on Scotrail services served at room temperture!

irish_rail

Established Member
As much as I prefer local produce sold on services, the masses generally prefer well known brands.

I only recall Irn Bru on Scotrail services served at room temperture!
Burts are a big brand, they even produce the Guinness crisps sold in Dublin, not exactly a small unknown operation.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Worldwide, though, without sounding a 'snob', doesn't first class often mean a quieter environment and no louts/bogans/miscreants?
As any train crew member will tell you, first class passengers are often much, much more unpleasant than standard class passengers.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Indeed - it’s something else that ties the service to the region. I would rather enjoy a Tribute and a packet of Burts crisps on my way back to the West Country, than a pissy can of larger and a packet of Walkers you could pick up from any Tesco Express in the country. Just small touches like locally sourced, quality produce that makes an otherwise fairly normal journey that little bit more enjoyable.

Indeed! He says… having bought a bottle of Irn Bru before boarding my LNER service and finding it back on the menu last week :lol: That said, I’d have rather they went for the famous tea cake than the caramel wafer (as great as it is). So I went for the Edinburgh Rock as well!
I agree, but I’d like to walk before we try and run.

railfan99

Established Member
As any train crew member will tell you, first class passengers are often much, much more unpleasant than standard class passengers.

Agree first class patrons may be demanding and rude, but I've not seen that on any UK trains when seated in a first class car.

In economy class (you call it 'standard'), there can be small children running up and down, with tighter seat pitches, so it 'feels' less pleasant.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, but then first class train crew themselves are often somewhat unpleasant these days. There’s good and bad everywhere.

Requeststop

I've long given up on on-board train catering. These days if I'm travelling long distance Truro-London and return, I'd pop up to Waitrose and buy food and wine at the Cornish Food Store and take it on the train to eat and maybe only accept the offering of coffee and water from the poor trolley staff trying to earn a crust selling the very poor choice on offer. Returning from Paddington I'd rather pay for a couple of small bottles of wine from M&S and something from one of other station outlets. Even trying to use the GWR Pullman is off for me as I'd have to change carriages at Plymouth to be in the right section of the 2x5 trains. Oh please God, before I totally give up on rail travel, bring back the old style catering on trains. They no longer serve the public.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've long given up on on-board train catering. These days if I'm travelling long distance Truro-London and return, I'd pop up to Waitrose and buy food and wine at the Cornish Food Store and take it on the train to eat and maybe only accept the offering of coffee and water from the poor trolley staff trying to earn a crust selling the very poor choice on offer. Returning from Paddington I'd rather pay for a couple of small bottles of wine from M&S and something from one of other station outlets. Even trying to use the GWR Pullman is off for me as I'd have to change carriages at Plymouth to be in the right section of the 2x5 trains. Oh please God, before I totally give up on rail travel, bring back the old style catering on trains. They no longer serve the public.
Yep. My feelings exactly.

Sleepy

Established Member
Yep. My feelings exactly.
On a journey of up to 5 hours to Cornwall a sandwich in 1st class should be the bare minimum not the current lucky dip it seems to be ? Considering a fully fitted kitchen is next door you'd think a hot sausage roll for example wouldn't be that difficult to provide. I'm probably being too optimistic as enjoyed their travelling chef in the past.

Spet0789

Why not take it out of the hands of the railway altogether and do as they do on Japanese trains where the trolley service is provided by independents?

Master29

Established Member
On a journey of up to 5 hours to Cornwall a sandwich in 1st class should be the bare minimum not the current lucky dip it seems to be ? Considering a fully fitted kitchen is next door you'd think a hot sausage roll for example wouldn't be that difficult to provide. I'm probably being too optimistic as enjoyed their travelling chef in the past.
Ah yes. Those nice shiny kitchens, nice and clean simply because there never bloody used. As far as I know they aren't doing sandwiches at all. The Pullman dining may be excellent but as for the rest of GWR's forgettable and paltry offerings for both first and standard, I wouldn't even call it a lucky dip. First group seem intent on lowering standards regarding catering.

Ah yes. Those nice shiny kitchens, nice and clean simply because there never bloody used. As far as I know they aren't doing sandwiches at all. The Pullman dining may be excellent but as for the rest of GWR's forgettable and paltry offerings for both first and standard, I wouldn't even call it a lucky dip. First group seem intent on lowering standards regarding catering.
I rarely go first class from Pad-Cdf because of the prohibitive cost and the catering offer, which is pathetic. I don't understand how GWR can offer such a poor experience and expect such a high fare for it. Obviously there is no competition on our railways to speak of, as they wouldn't survive in the real commercial world.

Unfortunately it looks like Grand Union will be delayed by years so the gravy train will keep running.

Master29

Established Member
I rarely go first class from Pad-Cdf because of the prohibitive cost and the catering offer, which is pathetic. I don't understand how GWR can offer such a poor experience and expect such a high fare for it. Obviously there is no competition on our railways to speak of, as they wouldn't survive in the real commercial world.

Unfortunately it looks like Grand Union will be delayed by years so the gravy train will keep running.
Wasn't this one of the original reasons privatisation came about anyway. Or so we were lead to believe. If decent competition had been the case. Well, one of those what could have beens. You`re absolutely spot on about GWR not surviving had this have been the case.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Apart from the current lack of open access competition the contract/franchise just seems to have been subject to open-ended renewal, therefore they've not had any incentive to make improvements, or even retain previous standards.

Master29

Established Member
Apart from the current lack of open access competition the contract/franchise just seems to have been subject to open-ended renewal, therefore they've not had any incentive to make improvements, or even retain previous standards.
Why is this the case with first group GWR? This is one of the very roots of the problem (pardon the pun). They don't care. They get their wonga. A classic case of pull up the ladder and sod the poor so and so's that have to use our excuse of a service.

robert thomas

As a regular traveller in first class I can assure you that the kitchens are used but not necessarily for the preperation of food. Both trollies are stabled and stocked from there . The coffee is brewed there and other water heated there for tea and porridge. Sandwiches are provided on some trains but these are pre-packed and not prepared on board. The remaining Pullman services do use the kitchen but I do wish they would re-instate the breakfast which was regularly over subscribed on the South Wales route.

Benjwri

Established Member
As a regular traveller in first class I can assure you that the kitchens are used but not necessarily for the preperation of food. Both trollies are stabled and stocked from there . The coffee is brewed there and other water heated there for tea and porridge. Sandwiches are provided on some trains but these are pre-packed and not prepared on board. The remaining Pullman services do use the kitchen but I do wish they would re-instate the breakfast which was regularly over subscribed on the South Wales route.
They might be used, but the are unnecessarily large for that purpose which you have described. GWR either needs to use them properly, or make them smaller to match their use.

Benjwri

Established Member
How about adding a buffet?!
Personally I'd rather they used the valuable space for seats or storage, a buffet would take an entire car, and with space very much at a premium on GWR I wouldn't take out more seats for a buffet.

Is Lumo the only TOC to offer hot food on their services? Thats the only reason I can see for a buffet. In my opinion there is no point in a buffet if you are only offering something I could easily buy for half the price in the Tesco next to the station, and I dont see what the fuss is over things like LNER's buffet car....

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Personally I'd rather they used the valuable space for seats or storage, a buffet would take an entire car, and with space very much at a premium on GWR I wouldn't take out more seats for a buffet.

Is Lumo the only TOC to offer hot food on their services? Thats the only reason I can see for a buffet. In my opinion there is no point in a buffet if you are only offering something I could easily buy for half the price in the Tesco next to the station, and I dont see what the fuss is over things like LNER's buffet car....
Buffets take up a whole carriage?! LNER's takes up a couple of bays.

Lumo is not the only TOC that offers hot food. Ones I can think of:

Avanti, LNER, Cross Country, TfW (few trains), EMR, Greater Anglia.

route101

Established Member
I recall ordering a hot bacon baguette on GWR a few years in standard. Still available?

irish_rail

Established Member
They might be used, but the are unnecessarily large for that purpose which you have described. GWR either needs to use them properly, or make them smaller to match their use.
Following this discussion I recently had a good look in a GWR kitchen, and I came to the conclusion that at most you could add about 12 seats at a real push, due to ,as another poster points out there is more to it than a kitchen. Its a staff messroom for the onboard crew, its used to store various food and drink items and accessories, coffee makers trolly etc, it is actually rather better equipped than is perhaps obvious when viewed from outside.

trebor79

Established Member
Buffets take up a whole carriage?! LNER's takes up a couple of bays.

Lumo is not the only TOC that offers hot food. Ones I can think of:

Avanti, LNER, Cross Country, TfW (few trains), EMR, Greater Anglia.
Greater Anglia seem to be gradually reducing their offering. Very disappointed to find they no longer do porridge last time I took the train to London. Another reason to use the car.

JamieL

Greater Anglia seem to be gradually reducing their offering. Very disappointed to find they no longer do porridge last time I took the train to London. Another reason to use the car.
Is it an excuse for the car? Stopping at a Service station isn't really any different to getting take-away food at the railway station before boarding. Except of course you can eat when you like on a train rather than in the car when you need to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.