• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 143 withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasn't expecting to see one of these things on a Sunday evening just before driving back north from Paignton. At 19xx a service rolled in with a 150 with a 143 tagged on the rear (neither had many passengers). Roll back just over a year and from leaving the hotel in Torquay a pair of them went past heading towards Paignton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Apedlar12

Wasn't expecting to see one of these things on a Sunday evening just before driving back north from Paignton. At 19xx a service rolled in with a 150 with a 143 tagged on the rear (neither had many passengers). Roll back just over a year and from leaving the hotel in Torquay a pair of them went past heading towards Paignton.
Yes, they have had to be coupled up with a PRM unit since the beginning of this year if they want to use them in passenger service and it will be like this now until they are withdrawn...

Probably until Christmas although if any have anything seriously wrong with them before then they could be withdrawn rather than be repaired.
This kind of thing was talked about on WNXX recently too but in regard to wheel flats and it seems that it is most likely that if any of them end up requiring new wheelsets then once they run out of spares then they will just be removed from service but they will have to be in condition to be towed...

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
143618 is apparently waiting for a new fire bottle. As the part is no longer available off the shelf it will have to be sourced.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Could GWR withdraw them before December or would that incur too many 2-car workings?

If 2-car workings, then what will GWR do after December? I know Devon and Cornwall are very unpopular in winter, but if next summer proves to be a good one weather and COVID restrictions wise they'll be up proverbial creek without a paddle.

RPI

Established Member
Could GWR withdraw them before December or would that incur too many 2-car workings?

If 2-car workings, then what will GWR do after December? I know Devon and Cornwall are very unpopular in winter, but if next summer proves to be a good one weather and COVID restrictions wise they'll be up proverbial creek without a paddle.
I'm not sure Devon is "Very unpopular" in winter, the Devon Metro is a busy commuter network too, even during the current climate it remains busy in peak times.

Yes, they have had to be coupled up with a PRM unit since the beginning of this year if they want to use them in passenger service and it will be like this now until they are withdrawn...

This kind of thing was talked about on WNXX recently too but in regard to wheel flats and it seems that it is most likely that if any of them end up requiring new wheelsets then once they run out of spares then they will just be removed from service but they will have to be in condition to be towed...
Yes as it was said elsewhere they don’t want them hogging up valuable spaces in the depot.

Amlag

143612 with a very bad wheel flat was seen and heard on local Devon services (couple to a 150 unit) today.

Apedlar12

143618 is apparently waiting for a new fire bottle. As the part is no longer available off the shelf it will have to be sourced.

Yes, I also saw on WNXX the other day that if any of the others end up needing wheelsets replacing that they may just retire them instead which would give for the opportunity to give a "fire bottle" to 618 from one of the others to get 618 going again as apparently it's wheels are in very good condition...

143612 with a very bad wheel flat was seen and heard on local Devon services (couple to a 150 unit) today.

Seems like 143603 has developed a wheel flat now too and that one only returned from Laira a few days ago after having it's wheels sorted out due to some flats...

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
Any further information and updates on great Western railway 143 unit status on here is much appreciated because various Facebook reports suggests that 143603 might not have long left due to wheel set issues close to ending its last days. 143612 is more favorable due to it's better condition again on its wheelsets which However are more favorable. But is stored. However 143619 is also stored awaiting parts. Possibly meaning that 143603 due to its condition could donate to 143619.
However at momment it appears only x5 for the x4 booked workings are available.
However anyone with any further information regarding this is much appreciated. Many thanks.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Any further information and updates on great Western railway 143 unit status on here is much appreciated because various Facebook reports suggests that 143603 might not have long left due to wheel set issues close to ending its last days. 143612 is more favorable due to it's better condition again on its wheelsets which However are more favorable. But is stored. However 143619 is also stored awaiting parts. Possibly meaning that 143603 due to its condition could donate to 143619.
However at momment it appears only x5 for the x4 booked workings are available.
However anyone with any further information regarding this is much appreciated. Many thanks.

143603, 143612 and 143620 have run empty from Exeter to SPM today either for the lathe or wheelsets, I presume. 143617 is at Laira for tyre turning and speedo reset

warwickshire

On Moderation
143603, 143612 and 143620 have run empty from Exeter to SPM today either for the lathe or wheelsets, I presume. 143617 is at Laira for tyre turning and speedo reset
Saw them today Wednesday 04 November 2020 at Exeter st Davids being hauled by a class 150 at lunchtime.

However recent times, and like today Wednesday 04 November 2020 has only had three 143 in traffic - which were 143619 143621 143618.

Notably the other Exmouth to Paignton services was x2 class 150s together. So maybe it is down to 3 diagrams now and one spare x 143.

It has been reported further on the Facebook that 143612 and 143603 is very touch and go over future. However December 12th and 13th was originally the final runs. Unless covid 19 has stopped them and not worth spending money on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member

All taken down there by 150265. None of the 143s sounded as if they have wheel flats so I'd hazard a guess that it's for something else. Update - All are there for Tyre Turning, while 611 has a firebaottle fault.

Last edited:

northernbelle

According to another forum post, these were taken to Bristol by 150265 which is to act as depot shunter to move the 143s around SPM - not many drivers sign both SPM depot and 143s these days.

Apedlar12

All taken down there by 150265. None of the 143s sounded as if they have wheel flats so I'd hazard a guess that it's for something else. Update - All are there for Tyre Turning, while 611 has a firebaottle fault.
I heard that 611 donated it's fire bottle to get 618 back into service as it hadn't been in service for just over 3 months and has now become a donor unit for the other 7.

620 has the smallest wheels. The hope is to keep the remaining 7 running until mid December without major attention. Only 4 required each day. We do not need the 769s in service to bin the 143s. Better utilisation of current dmu fleet, 1 extra HST and the release (finally) of 166216 will do it. 216 is on its test run at the moment.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
620 has the smallest wheels. The hope is to keep the remaining 7 running until mid December without major attention. Only 4 required each day. We do not need the 769s in service to bin the 143s. Better utilisation of current dmu fleet, 1 extra HST and the release (finally) of 166216 will do it. 216 is on its test run at the moment.

I know 158's aren't suitable for services with many frequent station stops but if it's temporary then I can't really see it being a problem in that when Class 158's are taken off the cornish mainline (GWR wants the 158's taken off these lines I believe), then 4 x 2-car 158's should be enough to displace the 4 remaining Pacers temporarily, particularly with less passengers using the railways at the moment.

RPI

Established Member
I know 158's aren't suitable for services with many frequent station stops but if it's temporary then I can't really see it being a problem in that when Class 158's are taken off the cornish mainline (GWR wants the 158's taken off these lines I believe), then 4 x 2-car 158's should be enough to displace the 4 remaining Pacers temporarily, particularly with less passengers using the railways at the moment.
Seen quite a few 158+143 combinations on the Devon metro

Recently anyway

adc82140

Established Member
Is there a certain amount of "use them while we can" effectively saving maintenance on the rest of the fleet?

Apedlar12

Out of the seven available for service now, 143617/618/619/621 have been the 4 in service this week so far...

617 was tyre turned at Laira last week, and already needs it again. Was parked outside SPM lathe when I left last night with 150216. Notably being an Angel 150, 216 has yet to have the WSP system fitted that the 17 Porterbrook examples received since 2018.
If anybody is after a 143, (I was arranging to have one ex GWR for a preserved line but covid put paid to that) pay close attention to the wheelsizes. There are hardly any spares left, and I anticipate many of the Pacers already in preservation will be donors to keep some running.

Status
Not open for further replies.