• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MML

Have new seats been installed ?
The seats in place when 319s were operating the Thameslink services were some of the worst I have experienced.
Lots of cushioning but they were so low your knees ended up higher than your waist. And legroom with those sitting opposite became personal.
If the existing seats have been recovered, then I can imagine they will be less pleasant to travel on than the Turbostars they replace. More upright seats help improve posture and legroom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
They use the same seats they had as 319/4s, albeit re-trimmed in GWR colours

fgwrich

Established Member
Have new seats been installed ?
The seats in place when 319s were operating the Thameslink services were some of the worst I have experienced.
Lots of cushioning but they were so low your knees ended up higher than your waist. And legroom with those sitting opposite became personal.
If the existing seats have been recovered, then I can imagine they will be less pleasant to travel on than the Turbostars they replace. More upright seats help improve posture and legroom.

Exactly the same Ashbourne seats as the current Turbos.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Exactly the same Ashbourne seats as the current Turbos.
No. Turbos (and Networkers) are fitted with a different design of seat which was developed after the Ashbourne and featured a fully moulded seat pan to which seat squabs are attached. The Ashbourne is essentially a metal frame with separate seat squabs and a moulded back panel.

NSE moved away from the Ashbourne seat after fitting it to the 319, 321 and 456 fleets but there really isn't much point in GWR replacing it in the 769s as they must be in plentiful supply.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
Couldn’t they give them a more inspiring livery? The plain green seems to work on the 80*s but on the local units it’s very dull, especially in poor light when it looks almost black.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Couldn’t they give them a more inspiring livery? The plain green seems to work on the 80*s but on the local units it’s very dull, especially in poor light when it looks almost black.

I am assuming they will get GWR embellishments before going into public service. Something like the 150/2s in the West is what I am thinking.
Maybe yes, maybe no, but it would be nice to see them working reliably first before blinging them up. The TfW batch don't seem too prolific just yet.

MML

I agree. I suspect the narrow sheet line and GWR logos are still to be applied. But a silver wrap along the entire length of the window line would brighten them up a little.

I notice the roofs are painted white, so obviously someone has realised dark colours absorb heat. No wonder they become so hot and stuffy in the Summer sun.

MML

Yeah I'm pretty sure 165s don't use Ashbourne seats. 319s, however, definitely did.
Well the Ashbourne seat has plenty of cushioning and there is plenty of space between the seat backs to store a suitcase. Should be useful for the Gatwick run.

But personally I find them uncomfortable with the seat too close to the floor.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Maidenhead to Didcot/Swindon is the route on which the diesel/AC FFR (Fault Free Running) is likely to take place with the DC FFR on the SWML with either Basingstoke-Eastleigh or Basingstoke-Woking being the sections discussed with NR.

All lines on which passenger use is contemplated will have full test runs for station validation purposes. But first there has to be engineering staff training before anything moves off depot, either for testing, validation runs or driver training.

Exactly. The people in the orange overalls need to know where to insert fuel and water, how to change brake pads etc, before they even go off shed. Then the people in the seat at the front need to know how to drive em, after a bit of classroom and static training.

Is 769943 the only one delivered so far?

Domh245

Established Member
The use of "tri-mode" to describe them really irks me. They're Bi-mode Dual Voltage!

RichT54

Why?

Reading to Wokingham?, Ash to Guildford?, Redhill to Gatwick? all are DC And depot to P15 too

I asked the question earlier in this thread, the answer I received was that the third rail supply would be too limited to support the extra usage, plus they can't change over on the move.

aleggatta

Porterbrook have decided to brand them as tri more trains, by that nature it is a valid description of the product even if there is room for pedantry on the technicalities of the operating modes of the train. Where is the problem?

Domh245

Established Member
Porterbrook have decided to brand them as tri more trains, by that nature it is a valid description of the product even if there is room for pedantry on the technicalities of the operating modes of the train. Where is the problem?

Because like pdeaves points out, if they are now tri-modes, then they were bi-modes as they left the factory, which is clearly nonsense and contradicts Porterbrook's marketing that they're being turned into bi-modes in the basic 769 form!

JN114

Established Member
No, two modes. 319s are not 'bi mode', they are dual voltage electric (one mode). Thus, adding a diesel engine makes a dual voltage bi-mode.

(Thanks Domh245, I've been fighting on my own to now!)

You've not been alone, there's a fairly sizeable albeit silent cohort who have seen through the marketing drivel.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I noticed the Twitter announcement about the 769's - I noticed the orange on the rails. I had another look and to me it looks like they're wrapped up in some sort of sponge and that I guess they'll be grey / silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.