• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 769 information. (Units no longer with GWR - Off Lease March 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

particularly as Bedwyn (other than a few peak hour trains) is going to be served by a dmu shuttle to Newbury from May - and not IETs to London, the DfT having decided to use those elsewhere. Bedwyn Trains passenger group circulated this recently.
but the 769s would seem to suit Reading to Bedwyn quite nicely. Route clearance shouldn't be that difficult surely as Mk IIIs fit!

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
but the 769s would seem to suit Reading to Bedwyn quite nicely. Route clearance should be that difficult surely!

Would you not need more guards for that? I’m not sure if the TM’s working the IETs would also be in the same pool as the conductors working 769s?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would you not need more guards for that? I’m not sure if the TM’s working the IETs would also be in the same pool as the conductors working 769s?
Why would they need guards? Aren't Reading to Bedwyn Turbos run DOO with 769s able to run DOO in the same places (eg Henley / Bourne End)?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Why would they need guards? Aren't Reading to Bedwyn Turbos run DOO with 769s able to run DOO in the same places (eg Henley / Bourne End)?

That’s what I’m asking, obviously Turbos were cleared for DOO to Bedwyn, however IETs we’re not, even though they had cameras. Where would 769s fall?

Towers

Established Member
Guards working 80x can also work Turbo traction, depot dependent. However, 769s would likely run DOO on Bedwyns, as the Turbos do currently.

80x can't operate as full DOO due to issues with the cameras, they have to be dispatched by station staff on DOO routes. Plenty of unstaffed shacks on the Bedwyns, hence they're guard operated.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Might give GWR time to check for any issues that TfW and Northern have experienced with their 769's. I hope they're in service by then at least!
Well, IF they have power-to-weight ratio/adhesion problems and IF the unions are hesitant about accepting them with their present cabs, I would be very cautious about even September. I'm very keen to be wrong here as they are wanted/needed on the NDL.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Well, IF they have power-to-weight ratio/adhesion problems and IF the unions are hesitant about accepting them with their present cabs, I would be very cautious about even September. I'm very keen to be wrong here as they are wanted/needed on the NDL.
They don't have power to weight issue problems but that ratio is worse in diesel mode vs Turbos hence increased SRT's.

ASLEF should have an input in ergonomics of cab layout and working procedures and operators and their suppliers should have built that into the modifications. If they haven't the DofT should make First pay the abortive costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.