• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffer04

Vtec 9 car 801201, all electric set, has now had its numbers applied at Newton Aycliffe, as seen in attached pictures.
Isn't this one that was built for GWR before the decision was made to make all the GWR ones bimode?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered, but are there any 800 / 802 in their new livery or all they still in neutral test livery ?

Domh245

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered, but are there any 800 / 802 in their new livery or all they still in neutral test livery ?

800003/004 are both in GWR livery, albeit vinyls overlayed on the white base, and have got a few gaps in the application. All of the 802s so far released (001, 002, 101) are in base green, and need to have vinyls applied to finish the livery

gavin

2 x 5 car GWR's working 5X75 Darlington to Peterborough

5756.png

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
800008 at Paddington Platform 1 Sunday 17/9/17 just after Lunch. Running on diesel.

Edit : Sideways of course, as every photograph ever is. Believe me i have tried, i have really tried but it is still sideways.

Attachments

• 800008.jpg
    800008.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Err yes, it is hoped that when the forum is upgraded sideways photos will be a thing of the past. Hopefully...

Established Member
Isn't this one that was built for GWR before the decision was made to make all the GWR ones bimode?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes that is correct. Has been at Hitachi Merchant Park since 2016. Has been outside stored in the yard as a full complete 9 car set since October 2016. And has only been out onto test track withim the last month or so.

superalbs

Established Member
Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't for the life of me find power sockets in standard class in any of the images?

jon0844

Veteran Member
800008 at Paddington Platform 1 Sunday 17/9/17 just after Lunch. Running on diesel.

Edit : Sideways of course, as every photograph ever is. Believe me i have tried, i have really tried but it is still sideways.

Until the trains can run level, I am not sure they're ever going to be able to go into service.

Established Member
Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't for the life of me find power sockets in standard class in any of the images?

They are under the seats, under the piece you sit on, directly underneath the middle arm rest. Not an obvious place unless you put your head between your knees ??????

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Looking on Youtube yesterday there is a video of the change over from Diesel to Electric on the fly at Didcot which I find quite interesting as obviously its not something I have ever seen before in this country. I wonder if they will allow changeover on the fly on the dodgy East Coast wiring not that I would image they really need to use it much on the East Coast Anyway in normal circumstances.

Mordac

Established Member
Looking on Youtube yesterday there is a video of the change over from Diesel to Electric on the fly at Didcot which I find quite interesting as obviously its not something I have ever seen before in this country. I wonder if they will allow changeover on the fly on the dodgy East Coast wiring not that I would image they really need to use it much on the East Coast Anyway in normal circumstances.

Any chance you can share the video? :D

Established Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZgIWgqi3I
Any chance you can share the video? :D

Its about 12 mins in

There is also one at Maidenhead but its not on the fly, you can hear the engines turn off as soon as the pantograph is raised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI6c2gO1Dk&t=72s

Of course there are those people in the dark ages who think you should mess about attaching and detaching a Diesel Loco to do this which clearly isn't very practical in the current state of GWR electrification anyway.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZgIWgqi3I

Its about 12 mins in

There is also one at Maidenhead but its not on the fly, you can hear the engines turn off as soon as the pantograph is raised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpI6c2gO1Dk&t=72s

Of course there are those people in the dark ages who think you should mess about attaching and detaching a Diesel Loco to do this which clearly isn't very practical in the current state of GWR electrification anyway.
Thanks 8-)!

greyman42

Established Member
Looks similar to the First Class on ICE trains. But on those Standard and First are similar anyway.

The seats do not look very comfortable at all. Seems like a step down from what we currently have. Are these new trains not meant to be an improvement on what we already have ? Or is the comfort of the passenger just an irrelevance when they build new trains?

Filton Bank

The seats do not look very comfortable at all. Seems like a step down from what we currently have. Are these new trains not meant to be an improvement on what we already have ? Or is the comfort of the passenger just an irrelevance when they build new trains?

They don't look very comfortable, they don't feel very comfortable when you first sit down. But, having sat in them for quite some time on various test/training trains, they actually are quite comfortable in my opinion.

Filton Bank

Looking on Youtube yesterday there is a video of the change over from Diesel to Electric on the fly at Didcot which I find quite interesting as obviously its not something I have ever seen before in this country.

That was back in July when pan up was at maximum 20mph. There have been further tests this week at Taplow/Maidenhead (as this is where power changeover will take place - manually rather than automatic - for a while when the service starts), to see if there are any issues when raising the pan at linespeed. I was told that it was done successfully at 110mph (even though linespeed there is 125mph - probably because reaching 125 on diesel is almost impossible at present until the engines are fully unrestricted).

Status
Not open for further replies.