• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
The 802's are being spec'd by GWR as they were ordered by First Group so could well have a different interior I'd have thought.

GWR were 'encouraged' by the DaFT to go for the same interior on the 802s as on the DaFT specced 800s in the name of 'standardisation' hence the same drab colour scheme and lack of a Standard class Buffet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member

D1009

Established Member
GWR were 'encouraged' by the DaFT to go for the same interior on the 802s as on the DaFT specced 800s in the name of 'standardisation' hence the same drab colour scheme and lack of a Standard class Buffet.
Do you have a source for DfT standardisation policy being applied to seat covers? I've had thought in the global scheme of things regarding project costs, the cost of seat covers would be a drop in the ocean. I suppose they could fit them with the GWR branded paper antimacassars like the HSTs.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I was interested to read (admittedly in the local press) that Cheltenham is getting platform extensions to accommodate the new trains. Given a full length HST fits, I can only guess there will be some doubled up 800's between there and Swindon?

Or is the whole thing bunkum?

coppercapped

Established Member
In Network Rail's document Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-June-2017.pdf dated June 2017 (which can be found on NR's website) work package 057 W002A IEP-Western Capability lists 13 platforms which are being extended for 10 car operation. Stage 1 includes Cheltenham Spa platforms 1 and 2.

jimm

Established Member
The local press does get some things right actually.

I assume this is the story you are referring to

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...radical-changes-cheltenham-spa-station-559119

The platform extension angle is correct.

There is a big programme of such work planned, to allow 2x5 formations to operate to Gloucester/Cheltenham and up the Cotswold Line to Worcester (not sure about what will happen west of Worcester but assume extensions will happen there too, unless all GWR Paddington-Hereford duties are planned to be diagrammed for five-car and nine-car sets).

The aim is to provide platforms of at least 160m where practical (some will be shorter due to location, that are able to accommodate six or seven coaches to ensure access to disabled/priority spaces and bike storage on both sets at each station. Pretty much every platform at the main stations between Oxford and Worcester will be extended (Oxon halts are excluded but I assume the extra calls Shipton gets will be five-car or nine-car sets - though work to improve/lengthen the sub-standard platforms here is long overdue anyway).

Kemble, Stroud and Stonehouse are also getting extensions. Story about Stonehouse here.

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co....at_Stonehouse_rail_station_met_with_approval/

West Country stations are also going to see extensions

Live link to the delivery plan pdf

https://16cbgt3sbwr8204sf92da3xxc5m...7/06/Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-June-2017.pdf

Didcot, West of England and South Wales platform work for IET is on page 88
Cotswold Line is on page 111
West Country is on 112-113 but not quite so detailed as other areas at this stage

Platforms at some Thames Valley stations are also being extended to accommodate long Class 387 formations. There were signs of preparatory work and material being dropped at stations between Reading and Didcot this week.

Page 95 of the delivery plan has details of these

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
I was interested to read (admittedly in the local press) that Cheltenham is getting platform extensions to accommodate the new trains. Given a full length HST fits, I can only guess there will be some doubled up 800's between there and Swindon?

Or is the whole thing bunkum?
I'd have thought it was bleedin' obvious. Surely more than a 5 car will be needed for a peak hour Cheltenham Padd service?

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd have thought it was bleedin' obvious. Surely more than a 5 car will be needed for a peak hour Cheltenham Padd service?

In the off peak a 5 car is sufficient. Even in the peak I doubt a full 9/10 car set is needed after Swindon.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
A pity that the Gloucestershire-Warwickshire heritage railway does not go all the way to the mainline station at Cheltenham.

I saw my first 800 today. At Worcester Shrub Hill a five car 800 013 came in from the south at about 8.15AM. Stopped at platform 1 and about five minutes departed to the south. Apparently driver training. A nice oportunity to get a look at the train. The train looked ready to enter service and very nice in green. I wanted to get onboard but the passsenger doors were locked. The drivers door looks like it belong on a safe.

I was waiting for the 8.38 to Swindon. A HST with a retro "Sir Kenneth Grange" power car.

An enjoyable morning journey.

jimm

Established Member
Looking at posts on the Great Western Passengers' Forum, it appears that the GWR catering offer will be a standard class trolley and a first class trolley in both sets of 2x5 IET formations - oh dear, there goes another long-running doom-monger rumour about a grand total of one trolley in only one set of a 2x5...*

Apparently there is to be a six-month trial of a hot food offer in standard class, presumably order from trolley steward then get it delivered to you - I'd expect the usual suspects from the current buffet menu like bacon baguettes, unless they're going to try a few other items as well to test the market.

Pullman service switchover will start with the Swansea-Paddington-Swansea breakfast working - probably a good test bed, before the 802s start to appear on West Country services from next summer.

* Of course it may be different on short workings like Paddington-Bedwyn and the Paddington-Oxford only fasts (ie the services that do not run to/from the Cotswold Line) but not all the current services have a trolley.

Thread is here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15945.30

superalbs

Established Member
Well they were hardly likely to unlock the doors on a test train were they! ;)

They did at Bristol Temple Meads yesterday, they released the doors just as the 1400 to Berwick-upon-Tweed was announced, so a fair few people got on. Hope nobody stayed on. :P

bnsf734

They did at Bristol Temple Meads yesterday, they released the doors just as the 1400 to Berwick-upon-Tweed was announced, so a fair few people got on. Hope nobody stayed on. :P

Perhaps they are still trying to get out of North Pole depot!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'll get to go on one from Reading (amen) to Didcot or hopefully Swindon in a couple of weeks, so I'll be patient.

leomartin125

According to GWR, our IET ops states no Class 800/0's will be going to Cheltenham. All trains will be 9 coaches, so 802's. Will be interesting to see what happens, if you need two trolleys on each five car set, that means four customer hosts on every 10 car set (as one service) against the current grand total of two. How will it be done?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Look out though, GWR. I'm booking a First Class ticket and I'll be complaining when you fail to provide me with the luxurious leather seating on high speed services that you promise on the leaflet I've just picked up!

Although maybe I should give the company a break, I do love travelling with them and I felt a bit guilty when they told me they were sending me a £20 compensation cheque following my previous (and first ever) complaint to them... I'd spent £18 on a first class ticket from Reading to Slough. Before I knew this wasn't allowed, let me just make that clear, I went back and forth about six times in each direction because I got addicted to the leather seats, and on one of the twelve first class journeys I did they declassified first class (standard class weren't allowed to sit there, but could stand in the carriage). On the spur of the moment I complained, and now I've ended up paying minus two pounds for twelve first class journeys.

Oh god, I make myself sick just by reading this post back... :oops:

Dhassell

Look out though, GWR. I'm booking a First Class ticket and I'll be complaining when you fail to provide me with the luxurious leather seating on high speed services that you promise on the leaflet I've just picked up!

Although maybe I should give the company a break, I do love travelling with them and I felt a bit guilty when they told me they were sending me a £20 compensation cheque following my previous (and first ever) complaint to them... I'd spent £18 on a first class ticket from Reading to Slough. Before I knew this wasn't allowed, let me just make that clear, I went back and forth about six times in each direction because I got addicted to the leather seats, and on one of the twelve first class journeys I did they declassified first class (standard class weren't allowed to sit there, but could stand in the carriage). On the spur of the moment I complained, and now I've ended up paying minus two pounds for twelve first class journeys.

Oh god, I make myself sick just by reading this post back... :oops:
Not going to break their bank mind, so I wouldn't worry about it :lol:

Typhoon_93

According to GWR, our IET ops states no Class 800/0's will be going to Cheltenham. All trains will be 9 coaches, so 802's. Will be interesting to see what happens, if you need two trolleys on each five car set, that means four customer hosts on every 10 car set (as one service) against the current grand total of two. How will it be done?

Surly 800/3’s...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If you mean “surely” as opposed to “surly” than I agree.

Although compared to on a GWR HST the 800’s first class does look surly.

Typhoon_93

Two Delivery paths in this week from Aycliffe one on Tuesday and the usual Friday run. Plenty to choose from outside the factory 800022/025-030, but I would expect 022 and 025, if they do they will be the 19th and 20th IEP’s to be delivered.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Thanks for the info regarding the station lengthening. I didn't think for some reason they would double up between Swindon and Cheltenham??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.