• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

Approaching London on the 1129 from Swansea, I'm in coach H, and the next functioning toilet is in K. None working aft of H either. There's also a non-functional external door on H.

On the plus side the driver's clearly in a good mood as we've had some excellent runs before being caught by signals to get back to the timetable! Just hate the seats...

The electronic reservation system is fully functional however!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tasky

There seems to have been a recent improvement in reliability recently - been on half a dozen sets all working this week, including several 9 cars.

There was some suggestion that the electronic reservations reliability would improve after the withdrawal of HSTs, anyone know if there is any truth to that? Certainly seems anecdotally true

Dai Corner

Established Member
There was some suggestion that the electronic reservations reliability would improve after the withdrawal of HSTs, anyone know if there is any truth to that? Certainly seems anecdotally true

As a (retired) IT practitioner, it seems logical that if a system can be simplified by removing functionality no longer required it should be more reliable. That's assuming the mods are done correctly!

Master29

Established Member
I can`t quite see how there is any connection. The reservation system hasn`t worked properly because of software problems we are told. How this relates to the withdrawal of HST`s is anybody`s guess.

Railperf

Established Member
Noted quite a few 2x5 car 802 sets and some 9-car 802 sets south of Newton Abbott - all engines appearing to be working. No 800's spotted yesterday. So it seems the planned use of 802's on Cornwall services is working.

Japan0913

Noted quite a few 2x5 car 802 sets and some 9-car 802 sets south of Newton Abbott - all engines appearing to be working. No 800's spotted yesterday. So it seems the planned use of 802's on Cornwall services is working.
Is it a new plan for the future?

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The option lapsed after the second GWR order. It is no longer valid.

Any further procurement will have to be done as a separate exercise. No further sets or vehicles for GWR are currently planned.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So moving on from me whining about seats.

On an 800 at the minute and the windows are decidedly mucky. I've noticed this of a few of them compared with HSTs. Is there a problem with putting them through one of the washers?

Aictos

Established Member
Used my first Class 800 on the weekend and wow such improvement on the HSTs!

I can`t quite see how there is any connection. The reservation system hasn`t worked properly because of software problems we are told. How this relates to the withdrawal of HST`s is anybody`s guess.
It wasn’t the software at fault, it was the data files which weren’t compatible.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It wasn’t the software at fault, it was the data files which weren’t compatible.

You are joking?! I'm not blaming you, don't worry, but all because of data files that passengers have argued over seat reservations on the IET's.

I'm kind of hoping for a 9-car IET not to turn up on the 08:58 from Didcot Parkway to Liskeard or the 17:18 back to Reading (don't need a booked seat for the 21:15 from Reading to Didcot Parkway) because if the reservation screens are blank and no tickets are in it and someone refuses to move then I'm quite sure GWR will not be happy, nor will my Mum and sister at home be, that I'm having a similar situation to the 30/09/18. Only difference is I got my booked seat on this Didcot to Liskeard train and 16:31 to Reading - just!

So it’s taken (s)Hitachi 18 months to work that out?
No, it been known all along, that’s why the 9 car was turned off until the HST finished, Hitachi don’t supply the files, they come from the seat reservation system. They had HST references in them, they also have to load when the crew put the head code in, so a small window and if there is a wifi or mobile data outage or issue, they don’t transfer. The crew can try and pull them down enroute but some don’t.

On Moderation
No. Fixes can take some time to be developed and implemented.
They’re not being asked to put a man on the moon. It’s a seat reservation system. As always, the railway disappears up its own fundamental orifice and forgets about the service being delivered (or not) to the customer. Given the record of the parties involved, that really is not surprise at all.

northernbelle

They’re not being asked to put a man on the moon. It’s a seat reservation system. As always, the railway disappears up its own fundamental orifice and forgets about the service being delivered (or not) to the customer. Given the record of the parties involved, that really is not surprise at all.

Fortunately, the IETs include provision for paper seat reservations in the event of system failure, so no screens doesn't automatically translate to no seat reservation.

I understand both organisations have been working hard with NRES to work on a fix which has started bearing fruit. I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered doing so if they'd forgotten about providing a service to the customer.

coppercapped

Established Member
So moving on from me whining about seats.

On an 800 at the minute and the windows are decidedly mucky. I've noticed this of a few of them compared with HSTs. Is there a problem with putting them through one of the washers?
I've noticed this as well and I think that part of the problem is that the window glass is recessed more deeply into the bodyside than is the case with the Mark 3s and most recently built European designed stock. A vortex can generate on the vertical edges and deposit muck on the glass. It seems to me to be that Agility Trains'/Hitachi's washing plants can't get into the corners of the glass.
Don't forget that these trains don't use the washers which used to be at OOC and other places, so it's Hitachi's plant or nothing.

Railperf

Established Member
An 800/3 noted at Camborne on its way to Penzance this afternoon. I think unit is 304.
Seemed to struggle through Devon...but thanks to almost 7 mins dwell time at Plymouth was able to depart on time and noted arriving early at Camborne.

Mikey C

Established Member
I've noticed this as well and I think that part of the problem is that the window glass is recessed more deeply into the bodyside than is the case with the Mark 3s and most recently built European designed stock. A vortex can generate on the vertical edges and deposit muck on the glass. It seems to me to be that Agility Trains'/Hitachi's washing plants can't get into the corners of the glass.
Don't forget that these trains don't use the washers which used to be at OOC and other places, so it's Hitachi's plant or nothing.

You'd have hoped Hitachi would be able to wash their own train!

Status
Not open for further replies.