• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Thanks for the video link - seeing it the flesh, the doors really do let down the looks - plug doors would be so much sleeker.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Other than picking out a buffer fitted power car for the "Top Trumps" card, which I think marrs the timeless lines of the trains, I thought that they showed the HST sets in a fairly positive light: The iconic Intercity swallow livery, and then an immediately post-launch shot of a set "stretching its' legs" out of Kings Cross. With regard to the latter image, I don't think that the new trains will create anywhere near as much of a stir or a lasting legacy when the first few depart Kings Cross!

I concur however there are a couple of reasons for this.

BR marketed the HST for all it was worth because 125 mph running in this country was unheard of. Nowadays its regarded as being nothing special so I can't imagine much of a fan fare when they enter service. And of course its pretty much a like for like replacement.

The other point to bear in mind was the absolute racket as a HST departed the station which often made people look up. That Valenta "scream" is unlikely to be replicated by the new trains.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
I concur however there are a couple of reasons for this.

BR marketed the HST for all it was worth because 125 mph running in this country was unheard of. Nowadays its regarded as being nothing special so I can't imagine much of a fan fare when they enter service. And of course its pretty much a like for like replacement.

The other point to bear in mind was the absolute racket as a HST departed the station which often made people look up. That Valenta "scream" is unlikely to be replicated by the new trains.

And we've had HS1 since them, so they're not the fastest units in the UK anyway.

West Ruislip

At yesterday's event Claire Perry joked to journalists that the name IEP 800 sounded more like a pair of jeans than a train!

ExTankieAaron

Dose anybody know or heard anything on who is to get the contracts for maintenance and refurbishment to these new 800s ? Rolling stock etc etc I'm at wabtec Doncaster on the 91s, just needing to know if I'll have a job in the future.

higthomas

Dose anybody know or heard anything on who is to get the contracts for maintenance and refurbishment to these new 800s ? Rolling stock etc etc I'm at wabtec Doncaster on the 91s, just needing to know if I'll have a job in the future.

Hitachi are doing the maintenance themselves. This is because instead of renting trains, TOCs will be renting diagrams instead.
In Doncaster they are opening a new depot at the 'Carr' site, so this is where they will be maintained.

D365

Veteran Member
Who's doing the seeking? Presumably FGW?
If so we'll end up with two fleet names for GW and EC routes.

In a way it's been the case with the 180s; Adelante for FGW/HT and Zephyr for GC. Though if any at all now, we only tend to hear use of the former nickname; they haven't quite captured our imagination in the same ;)

ExTankieAaron

Hitachi are doing the maintenance themselves. This is because instead of renting trains, TOCs will be renting diagrams instead.
In Doncaster they are opening a new depot at the 'Carr' site, so this is where they will be maintained.

Oh dear then, well at least it's down the road, Carr is where all the freight is I aint seen anything being built down there yet. Supprised if their is room down there. is their any info I can find on the www?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
According to this, Hitachi should be about half way through the project:

23.04.14 Hitachi to take possession of Doncaster Carr depot
Hitachi Rail Europe is to take possession of Doncaster Carr next month, a site that has been a railway depot for over 100 years, to develop its own £70m maintenance depot for the IEP trains.
The construction work, which will be carried out by Volker Fitzpatrick, is expected to start in the summer with the site operational by 2016.
It is expected that the project will create around 160 jobs. The new depot will be located at the end of Ten Pound Walk and, when complete, a minimum of 10 five-car trains will be permanently based at the depot.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...i-to-take-possession-of-doncaster-carr-depot-

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
In a way it's been the case with the 180s; Adelante for FGW/HT and Zephyr for GC. Though if any at all now, we only tend to hear use of the former nickname; they haven't quite captured our imagination in the same ;)

I've only ever known the 180s as Adelante's, never heard them called Zephyr before. I only knew them as Adelante's after stumbling across what I thin is probably meant to be a FGW training video about them on youtube

fowler9

Established Member
I think it will be a difficult beast to promote. I read the BBC news article about the trains arriving the other day and they provided a list of fast trains around the world. They did their best to make them sound fast but I think failed since they are 60 mph slower than many others and 14 mph faster than Mallard which they included in the list.

D365

Veteran Member
I think it will be a difficult beast to promote. I read the BBC news article about the trains arriving the other day and they provided a list of fast trains around the world. They did their best to make them sound fast but I think failed since they are 60 mph slower than many others and 14 mph faster than Mallard which they included in the list.

Which was only a one-off, of course.

What more can we do without HS2?

fowler9

Established Member
Which was only a one-off, of course.

What more can we do without HS2?

I totally agree. And until I finally tried out high speed rail in Europe last year (Even though I am 40) I probably would have been one of the naysayers asking "What is the point?". It does take traffic off other forms of travel and in a very economical way. It will be hard to do in the UK because we have such a dense population but it is not impossible. We have to think long term. :D

Regarding Mallard, yes it was a one off but it makes you realise how far we really haven't come. These trains will possibly be running until after I am dead and buried and the top speed seems to be 140mph (I presume on the East Coast). By the time HS2 is built, if it is, I will be really knocking on in age and we will have advanced very little since I was in my teens.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
It will be hard to do in the UK because we have such a dense population but it is not impossible. We have to think long term.

On the other hand, I've heard France and Japan are rather envious of our population spread. As it will allow us to sustain our 'classic' intercity service by providing an enhanced timetable to the many settlements which have built up along our major railway corridors when the 'express trains' transfer to dedicated HS.

Regarding Mallard, yes it was a one off but it makes you realise how far we really haven't come. These trains will possibly be running until after I am dead and buried and the top speed seems to be 140mph (I presume on the East Coast). By the time HS2 is built, if it is, I will be really knocking on in age and we will have advanced very little since I was in my teens.

I'd disagree and say we have come a very long way. One statistic that proves this is that our railways have been at their busiest since the 1920s even with a significantly reduced route-mileage, and relative expenditure is vastly more efficient for many reasons.

140mph running will be achievable on both routes when the necessary infrastructure works have taken place; electrification/enhancement, level crossing closure, ERTMS rollout...

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
On the other hand, I've heard France and Japan are rather envious of our population spread. As it will allow us to sustain our 'classic' intercity service by providing an enhanced timetable to the many settlements which have built up along our major railway corridors when the 'express trains' transfer to dedicated HS.

I'd disagree and say we have come a very long way. One statistic that proves this is that our railways have been at their busiest since the 1920s even with a significantly reduced route-mileage, and relative expenditure is vastly more efficient for many reasons.

140mph running will be achievable on both routes when the necessary infrastructure works have taken place; electrification/enhancement, level crossing closure, ERTMS rollout...

Without a doubt what we have got from our railway network is impressive. However I would not entirely agree that the boom in passenger numbers is entirely down to the fantastic service offered.

D365

Veteran Member
Without a doubt what we have got from our railway network is impressive. However I would not entirely agree that the boom in passenger numbers is entirely down to the fantastic service offered.

Of course not, but despite the much-maligned fare increases, for a increasing number of people the railway is a more economical and efficient service. There's always more investment we can make in order to utilise our system to the fullest extent from what our technology of the day can provide.

Such as new trains ;)

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member

I concur. My oldest son is half German and since I first met him I've been over to Germany many times to visit him. Nothing that we have compares to the DB network although they tend to suffer more from industrial action.

Bigfoot

I concur. My oldest son is half German and since I first met him I've been over to Germany many times to visit him. Nothing that we have compares to the DB network although they tend to suffer more from industrial action.

I guess you first met him when he was born...

fowler9

Established Member
The 800 looks a decent train from the outside but we seem to have reached the limit of what is possible in this country without some huge spending. It won't go significantly faster than anything we already have. It won't carry significantly more people. Unless we fork out on significant infrastructure changes to allow for longer trains or double deckers (Or a lot of high speed rail) then this is it for a long time to come. I'm sure they are more energy efficient but what are the chances of the cost saving being passed on to customers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.