• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

spark001uk

Established Member
Let me rephrase the question. If 1C99 ends up in Penzance back to front, it then goes back up to Pad back to front, then before it goes back down to Penz the next night the stock is turned (so that the seated coaches are returned to the country end) - question being where does it get turned? My guess is the empties leave Pad in the morning and use the Q path to Reading TC via Park Royal - Bicester - Oxford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Surely the West Ealing triangle is more appropriate.

83G/84D

Established Member
57605 was feeling a little unwell this morning after arriving at Penzance on the down sleepers. Driver reported low amps, hopefully Long Rock depot can work their magic on it and get it back to full health for the up working tonight.

Think they have had enough headaches for one week...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could anyone comment how far through the refurbishment programme now is? Are all the buffets done yet? How many sleeper vehicles remaining?

berneyarms

Established Member
Could anyone comment how far through the refurbishment programme now is? Are all the buffets done yet? How many sleeper vehicles remaining?
Read from post #904 onwards...

There’s a full list there and there’s been a few updates since.

spark001uk

Established Member
Odd query I know, but have the seated coaches retained that little jingle at the beginning of the pa announcements? Or has that been ripped out and changed as well?

CC 72100

Established Member
Odd query I know, but have the seated coaches retained that little jingle at the beginning of the pa announcements? Or has that been ripped out and changed as well?

I've always wanted that jingle as my text tone on my phone.. have to make do with SNCF announcement tone in the meantime :lol:

spark001uk

Established Member
I've always wanted that jingle as my text tone on my phone.. have to make do with SNCF announcement tone in the meantime :lol:
Here you go mate, just for you! ;)
(on hol now so it's the best I could knock up on phone)
You may have to convert it if your device doesn't support m4a format.

Attachments

• Jingle1.zip
    29.8 KB · Views: 123

spark001uk

Established Member
Surely these lights can be turned down in seated coaches, can't they?

spark001uk

Established Member
Having said that, I was on 1c99 last night and the lights in A were dim, ie just the centre strip, and at some point during the night that got turned off all bar a few at one end, in fact completely out at one point I think.
Also i like the pz tmd emblem, very nice! Spotted it on the side of 605.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Are you finally going to get your veg today Paul? Hopefully the driver will be available today. Tintagel was a bit jerky on 1c99 towards pnz but I think that could've been low adhesion, drizzly this morn.

co-tr-paul

Doesn't look like it, 2 cars to vac following 6 weeks worth of sand, grass, hair bands, pasty crumbs, etc, etc........ ! Working next week but as its the finale, may arrange for the return trip.

spark001uk

Established Member
Ah ok. She's quite busy today, only just got a seat in the old lounge car.

Edit: Stuck at Bodmin at the moment, dragging brakes on one of the coaches. Smoky!
Control has decided on running non stop to Plymouth and terminate.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
No it was C this time funny enough, you could see the smoke billowing off them after we stopped at bod. Typically though we braked several times subsequently and no smoke at all.

83G/84D

Established Member
2E75 the up "vegex" (1026 St Erth - Exeter St David's) arrives at Par today with problems evident:-

Attachments

• IMG_3315rev.jpg
    IMG_3315rev.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 180

co-tr-paul

I should ask, if brakes were known to be smoking b4 Par, why did it still continue to at least Bodmin ? Should have stopped when problem noticed ??
Have been on train in similar situation before.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I took the sleeper down to St Erth on Thursday night, and noticed that the train appeared to only be load 7, as I recall the train previously ran as the longest formation that could fit in the platforms.

Has the refurbishment programme reduced the number of vehicles available?
(It seems to have done since it seems to have sold out drastically far in advance)

Also the choice of standard class seats in the seating vehicles seems somewhat odd.

co-tr-paul

Normal load is 7 with 8 on Fri down/sun up. When refurb is complete, all trips will increase by 1 slep. Set already has coaches "not platformed" at various stations.
Seat design is unfortunately not ideal as discussed much earlier in thread but an increase in capacity was needed in this portion too. I was asked to put in 2 written reports for refurb requirements but we weren't listened to..... .
Yes, demand is still growing and already overtaking the extra capacity generated by the extra coach. More mk3 slep vehicles will be available when the Scotrail plans are done and these will need work too but we should have had a new train too in many peoples opinion.
See next long term franchise requirements when published in 202x for new stock and traction.......can't say any more - yet.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
I did the 1A40/1C99 combo last fri night (and the fri before). Although the seats aren't ideal, I did manage to get some sleep, but it involved taking shoes off and using a pair of seats. 1C99 was considerably the busier. Harder to find a seat, and bodies sprawled all over the place - in vestibules, on gangway floor, stretched across the gangway over 4 seats, even under the seats !! Good fun now and again though.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see the beds went up lastnight, I take it Laira sorted the brakes out on buffet?

spark001uk

Established Member
Was it just C coach in the end? Certainly looked it from where I was sat.

co-tr-paul

Big change to the NR from tonight :
Position of chocolate has had to be changed from on bed to on sink lid.
Somebody tried eating the soap.
Genuine.