• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Coincides nicely with Penzance bus running day on its traditional 3rd Sunday of April which is Easter next year I believe?
That will be a great day out.

I wonder if Laira will do openday ever, SPM and OOC were great

Goldfish62

Established Member
Coincides nicely with Penzance bus running day on its traditional 3rd Sunday of April which is Easter next year I believe?
Yes, it's on Easter Day next year. Be good if the depot open day on the Saturday!

co-tr-paul

602 didn't go up last night in the end despite put on in TNT mode. Cylinder head problems still continue.
No date yet but the RFMB not being refurbished, 10232 is due off lease soon despite only 1 done with another at Wolverton with the 3rd still in service in original form.

co-tr-paul

Update regarding buffets, now expected to receive 2x unidentified buffets for use as spare coaching stock, not to be refurbished though. No further details known yet. 10232 still going off lease.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
Update regarding buffets, now expected to receive 2x unidentified buffets for use as spare coaching stock, not to be refurbished though. No further details known yet. 10232 still going off lease.
I’d assume that, in the fullness of time, a number of ex-Caledonian Sleeper Mk3s will travel south for spares?

Geoff DC

Would be nice to have a Saturday sleeper so that Cornish Rugby fans could get home from away games on Saturday night :wub:

co-tr-paul

As mentioned previously, all trips will increase by an extra SLEP post refurb. In fact, some weekday trips already did this summer.
A Saturday night service will easily be worth running but pathing/engineering would be a problem. An increase in staff numbers would be required too. I would use it !! So much goes on on a Saturday in London.
The first Scottish sleeper changes over in October and it makes sense to use some stock from there - the two spare buffets may come from there - but as yet, nothing has been heard by us.

On Moderation
Won't be from them then. Not familiar with the Scottish fleet !
I have to ask why there is a need for any more spare vehicles. Once the refurb is complete there will be three RFM, three TSO and three BSO vehicles, for two of each needed each night. I'm not seeing why the existing high level of cover needs more vehicles, especially when the operation is at best financially marginal.

co-tr-paul

Not so much seats but demand for berths is outstripping capacity in summer especially.
I was a little surprised when told about the buffets as general seating spares.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Not so much seats but demand for berths is outstripping capacity in summer especially.
I was a little surprised when told about the buffets as general seating spares.

I suppose if nothing else, a spare buffet provides the ability to cover a seated or a lounge vehicle. I would tend to agree it seems bizarre!

co-tr-paul

Blue buffet 10232 should be put into tomorrows Tuesday up set in use.
It was made aware to us to today that over the past rolling year, there has been an increase of an average of 10 beds per trip per day.
The train prep teams know it !

Geoff DC

Off Topic, but glad to hear a pal on the train prep team got promoted to dispatcher & now on Driver Training
That's how companies should work & value their staff

On Moderation
The obvious candidates are the two buffets (10212/229) that TPE have on lease until the end of next year - no use for them with TPE, overhauls have already been paid for and the vehicles are on lease to a FirstGroup company. 10232 is a wreck anyway and out of mileage before it needs a C4 (and more!) - I believe it has already been mileage extended once.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Will they stay in (presumably TPE) livery? Or will they be getting a lick of green?