• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Coupling Hatches

800Travel

Is there any particular reason why GWR doesn’t close coupling hatches on their 80xs please? This video [https://x.com/networkrailwest/status/1739982977030131838?s=61&t=vg1NtEdwGEz8wbP5N-3E4A] I saw today shows the rear coupling hatch open, and I’ve previously seen videos with the front hatch open despite no train being nearby to have decoupled from/coupled to. I suppose it could just be an operational thing, like raising a certain pantograph, but I’m curious. Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class ep-09

Is there any particular reason why GWR doesn’t close coupling hatches on their 80xs please? This video [https://x.com/networkrailwest/status/1739982977030131838?s=61&t=vg1NtEdwGEz8wbP5N-3E4A] I saw today shows the rear coupling hatch open, and I’ve previously seen videos with the front hatch open despite no train being nearby to have decoupled from/coupled to. I suppose it could just be an operational thing, like raising a certain pantograph, but I’m curious. Thank you
Perhaps a fault with the hatch ?

mangyiscute

Established Member
I see it all the time, and I think it is happening more frequently nowadays. No idea why, tho, and I've never noticed any performance issues

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I see it all the time, and I think it is happening more frequently nowadays. No idea why, tho, and I've never noticed any performance issues
Yes I also noticed it’s happening more and more lately. I think they look quite cool like that though, rather high tech :lol:

Western 52

I saw them trying to open a hatch on a 800 at Swansea a couple of weeks ago. It failed to open, even after a bit of manual persuasion. Maybe that's why they leave them open?

Ytfc117

The ones that are running around with the Hatches open are awaiting repairs/parts.

They’ve been isolated in the open position from inside the main MCB rack in the cab.

Although I would have put money on there being some price to pay in the performance department, stemming from aerodynamic inefficiency; I have to say they seem to attain line speed at the same rate.

Perhaps the only price we’re paying is extra fuel?

There wasn’t much noticeable difference in the wind noise on the set I drove the other day which was surprising!

dan4291

The ones that are running around with the Hatches open are awaiting repairs/parts.

They’ve been isolated in the open position from inside the main MCB rack in the cab.

Although I would have put money on there being some price to pay in the performance department, stemming from aerodynamic inefficiency; I have to say they seem to attain line speed at the same rate.

Perhaps the only price we’re paying is extra fuel?

There wasn’t much noticeable difference in the wind noise on the set I drove the other day which was surprising!
I think the main concern is a bird or other animal strike damaging the coupler or any air pipes or isolation cocks exposed by the coupler doors being open, but at least they're still out in traffic. Do the units with open hatches have coupling restrictions as well?

I think the main concern is a bird or other animal strike damaging the coupler or any air pipes or isolation cocks exposed by the coupler doors being open, but at least they're still out in traffic. Do the units with open hatches have coupling restrictions as well?

Not necessarily, various units have the hatches open for various reasons, mostly because it won’t close due to damage or something else not working, they are set to close at 15mph after being open, it’s a very tight fit inside the nose for the cone so if they are out of alignment issues arise, it’s a lot better if it’s locked open than locked shut, it makes no noticeable difference to performance, well nothing you can feel anyway, always makes me chuckle when you have a 9 car with both Hatches open.

Hitachi have been known to lock hatches closed if there is a non multi restriction

Ytfc117

The sets I’ve had haven’t; but that’s not to say that some do.

Nothing to stop drivers from declining to attach if they think they’ll cause damage during the couplings process if there’s obvious bird strike damage or other foreign objects present

Geeves

Established Member

I would say if anything the doors are more for aesthetic reasons anyway, there's hundreds of trains running round with exposed couplers everyday with out issue. Those couplers are pretty solid devices

tlionhart

The sets I’ve had haven’t; but that’s not to say that some do.

Nothing to stop drivers from declining to attach if they think they’ll cause damage during the couplings process if there’s obvious bird strike damage or other foreign objects present

As someone said, they are for aesthetics. The only restriction would be if the train was given a ‘non multi’ notice. There’s no need for a driver to decline coupling with it isolated open. Also it doesn’t affect performance of the train when open. The assembly of the coupler is virtually the same as most EMU couplers.

Most times these are isolated for a plethora of reasons. Animal/object damages (that can cause an issue in the hatch opening), mechanical failure of the hatch, etc. Waiting repair/parts.

800Travel

Thanks everyone - surprised I've never seen this with TPE and LNER given repair/part problems!

Ytfc117

As someone said, they are for aesthetics. The only restriction would be if the train was given a ‘non multi’ notice. There’s no need for a driver to decline coupling with it isolated open. Also it doesn’t affect performance of the train when open. The assembly of the coupler is virtually the same as most EMU couplers.

Most times these are isolated for a plethora of reasons. Animal/object damages (that can cause an issue in the hatch opening), mechanical failure of the hatch, etc. Waiting repair/parts.

If you read what I said, I said there was nothing to stop drivers declining to attach if they thought there was previously un-reported damage or foreign objects present.

Thanks everyone - surprised I've never seen this with TPE and LNER given repair/part problems!
I’m not sure how often LNER/TPE attach/detach, but I’d wager it’s less than GWR do?

800Travel

If you read what I said, I said there was nothing to stop drivers declining to attach if they thought there was previously un-reported damage or foreign objects present.

I’m not sure how often LNER/TPE attach/detach, but I’d wager it’s less than GWR do?

Good point - I’m not convinced TPE run 10 car services - only 5 car. And LNER normally runs 9 car on the ECML north east section. That answers that then!

D6975

Established Member
Good point - I’m not convinced TPE run 10 car services - only 5 car. And LNER normally runs 9 car on the ECML north east section. That answers that then!
As far as I am aware TPE 802s only run ecs as 10 car sets. There's at least 2 a day of those in theory.

Carlisle

Established Member
I would say if anything the doors are more for aesthetic reasons anyway, there's hundreds of trains running round with exposed couplers everyday with out issue. Those couplers are pretty solid devices
In the early days 390s were restricted to 110 mph if the coupling hatch was open, something must’ve changed in rules as class 180s also used to have hatches.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
In the early days 390s were restricted to 110 mph if the coupling hatch was open, something must’ve changed in rules as class 180s also used to have hatches.

As I recall the restriction for 390s was related to concerns about the amount of yellow visible with the hatch open.