• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Pullman dining reinstated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
issue is the travel time, London to Swansea trains you wont finish in time for Cardiff in many cases while Plymouth you have way more time
You make a good point. London to Cardiff (where I expect the bulk of passengers are travelling to), is 1 hour 50, so whilst certainly long enough for a good meal, isn't perhaps enough time to enjoy the full, unrushed service. And many will get off earlier at Bristol Parkway and Newport! Of course the train does continue to Swansea and Carmarthen, but there probably aren't as many using it by then.
Neglected to mention there will be two of us. Thanks all!
Fair enough. You may not get to sit together due to the poor seating layout. I took someone recently and we had to sit one behind each other. And we had booked! You might be lucky and get a table of four.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
How likely are you to get in from standard? Is it hit and miss? Our leisure travel isnt valid in 1st so working out whether to upgrade in new year.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It’s definitely cheaper but not imho superior. GWR is restaurant level food and service. TfW is decent food and ok service but no restaurant niceties.
And you have to pay to upgrade to use it in the first place! Standard class travellers do not on GWR.

Is catering only offered on the premier service?
There is no longer a "business train" (previously known as premier service) There are three trains per day to Holyhead (and every two hours to Manchester commencing December) booked to be MK4 coaches and these services should have the restaurant service available as discussed.

Basic catering in the form of trolleys is available on many other 175 and sometimes Sprinter operated services.

Personally, I rather enjoy the Pullman when commuting for Uni between Cardiff and Reading. It's always a nice experience.

How likely are you to get in from standard? Is it hit and miss? Our leisure travel isnt valid in 1st so working out whether to upgrade in new year.
While I can't speak for the (admittedly likely to be busier) Plymouth route, I always use the Cardiff Pullman with a standard ticket and it's never too busy, particularly the UP.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
On busy services when passengers wanted to upgrade to 1st some were encouraged to take a meal in the dining car. It was often cheaper than an upgrade,filled empty seats in the restaurant and if tipping generously were often allowed to remain in 1st for the rest of their journey.

williamn

You make a good point. London to Cardiff (where I expect the bulk of passengers are travelling to), is 1 hour 50, so whilst certainly long enough for a good meal, isn't perhaps enough time to enjoy the full, unrushed service. And many will get off earlier at Bristol Parkway and Newport! Of course the train does continue to Swansea and Carmarthen, but there probably aren't as many using it by then.

Fair enough. You may not get to sit together due to the poor seating layout. I took someone recently and we had to sit one behind each other. And we had booked! You might be lucky and get a table of four.
Pretty poor to have to sit behind each other! When I took it last (Exeter to Paddington, Lunchtime) they had used some of seats in the other 1st class coach as well and I was sat in a pair there.

alastair

From the GWR website:

As a result of planned industrial action in December and January, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel all Pullman Dining services from Monday 12 December to Friday 6 January.

WizCastro197

Established Member
From the GWR website:

As a result of planned industrial action in December and January, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel all Pullman Dining services from Monday 12 December to Friday 6 January.
Please can you link this

Does it mention about refunds?

busestrains

On Moderation
Please can you link this

Does it mention about refunds?
This is the link where that quote came from:

It does not mention anything about refunds on that page but if you contact GWR maybe they can advise further.

WizCastro197

Established Member
So

Don't quite understand what you mean re. refunds, you can't prepay for a meal can you?
Sorry I thought you prepaid for this.

Don't quite understand what you mean re. refunds, you can't prepay for a meal can you?
Alright? Sorry.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

No, but they're saying you can get a refund if the withdrawal of Pullman dining means you don't want to travel anymore.

Frankly, it seems rather a spurious justification to me. I'd be amazed if it ever returns following its "temporary" withdrawal. It will be just one of many post-Covid cutback casualties.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, but they're saying you can get a refund if the withdrawal of Pullman dining means you don't want to travel anymore.
That'd be ridiculous. You can't reasonably book a train journey specifically to try the catering on-board and then expect to cancel and refund if the catering is withdrawn. That's like buying a ticket to travel on a 197 and wanting a refund when a 150 is allocated in place of the CAF.

WesternLancer

Established Member
That'd be ridiculous. You can't reasonably book a train journey specifically to try the catering on-board and then expect to cancel and refund if the catering is withdrawn. That's like buying a ticket to travel on a 197 and wanting a refund when a 150 is allocated in place of the CAF.
Well, it is something I have done in the past, as it happens (book on a specific train using Advance 1st especially to use the dining car. Other trains has cheaper Advance 1st fares but no dining car). Tho I doubt many will claim.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well, it is something I have done in the past, as it happens (book on a specific train using Advance 1st especially to use the dining car. Other trains has cheaper Advance 1st fares but no dining car). Tho I doubt many will claim.
I'm not denying people will do it, I'm denying that it's an acceptable reason to want money back. Last year, I spent £30 getting down to Havant to catch 313204 only for 208 to trundle up on it's booked diagram instead, making my journey pointless in the same way, but I wouldn't ask for money back for that :lol:

The ticket contracts one to be carried from Origin to Destination in the appropriate class of travel and those promises are not broken by a dud train for haulage turning up, nor a reduced catering offer, great as it would be if we could get refunds for such things.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm not denying people will do it, I'm denying that it's an acceptable reason to want money back. Last year, I spent £30 getting down to Havant to catch 313204 only for 208 to trundle up on it's booked diagram instead, making my journey pointless in the same way, but I wouldn't ask for money back for that :lol:

The ticket contracts one to be carried from Origin to Destination in the appropriate class of travel and those promises are not broken by a dud train for haulage turning up, nor a reduced catering offer, great as it would be if we could get refunds for such things.
I suspect the railway considers dining service rather differently than unit bashers' requirements and offers compo accordingly. :lol: And if you ended up starving it's not the same as having a different 313 is it?

If GWR have offered refunds then that's up to them, if not, well ask and see what happens.

You can want money back for whatever you like and there is nothing to stop you asking for it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Don’t say you weren’t warned. :(

It is looking sketchy as to whether it will return, although I am unable to elaborate further.

WesternLancer

Established Member
From the GWR website:

wouldn't dining have been suspended over xmas and New Year hols anyway - usually is IIRC going back donkeys years eg to BR days- eg 22nd dec to 6 jan sort of dates

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Don’t say you weren’t warned. :(

It is looking sketchy as to whether it will return, although I am unable to elaborate further.
If it doesn't return, something needs to be done about the kitchen space. When so many services are rammed, especially 5 car Oxfords and a good deal of Bristols and Swanseas too, it's infuriating to see half of one of the five carriages being used as a messroom.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If it doesn't return, something needs to be done about the kitchen space. When so many services are rammed, especially 5 car Oxfords and a good deal of Bristols and Swanseas too, it's infuriating to see half of one of the five carriages being used as a messroom.
don't worry - govt will return to BR policies - push up fares and price people off.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
From the GWR website:

It’s not surprising, with GWR having also said they expect all journeys to have been completed by 18.30 on these days that rules out most of the Pullman services anyway.

Private Baxter

Established Member
wouldn't dining have been suspended over xmas and New Year hols anyway - usually is IIRC going back donkeys years eg to BR days- eg 22nd dec to 6 jan sort of dates
Indeed, tradidtionally the Pullman doesn't run over the Christmas period, so this is just an extension of that. I really hope it does resume on after the 6th. I of course personally love the service, but so do many of the staff, who have always done an outstanding job with it, and I would really feel for them if it is to go.
Less importantly, I was rather looking forward to a Christmas meal on board this year! :D

Private Baxter

Established Member
To follow up from some pre Christmas discussion, I used the Pullman service recently, and is very much alive and in full swing. If anything, the food on offer has taken a step up from the previous menu. Not quite its pre Covid silver served best, but a step in the right direction.

WesternLancer

Established Member
To follow up from some pre Christmas discussion, I used the Pullman service recently, and is very much alive and in full swing. If anything, the food on offer has taken a step up from the previous menu. Not quite its pre Covid silver served best, but a step in the right direction.
Thanks for update - good to hear!

Established Member

Great news!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously in the thread but is there now a lodge turn for the Pullman catering crews? I was just looking and it seems like that would be the way you'd resource the 1304 Paddington to Plymouth, using a crew that travelled up the night before on the 1816 from Plymouth? Or do they have both crews travel passenger to get them to/from home? One in the morning from Plymouth to Paddington and one in the evening from Paddington to Plymouth?