• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR starting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostsoul13

I’ve been accepted to go for an interview and was wonder if the training (the two weeks) if I get the job are paid? Do I have to work in hand? If so how long?? And is it paid weekly , monthly, 4 weekly- it’s a host job!

Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy9gc

I’ve been accepted to go for an interview and was wonder if the training (the two weeks) if I get the job are paid? Do I have to work in hand? If so how long?? And is it paid weekly , monthly, 4 weekly- it’s a host job!

Regards

Congratulations on the interview!

You will be paid for your training, and pay frequency is 4-weekly.

TheGoldfish

Ohh thank you..

I presume that 4 weeks in hand as well??
You're paid in arrears … so on the first pay date you’ll be payed for the weeks you’ve worked beforehand … whether That be just 1 or all 4 depending on you’re start date ..

tiptoptaff

Established Member
GWR is paid 4weekly in arrears, with the pay cycle running a week ahead of the payday.

We were paid yesterday, 26th May. So next payday is 23rd June, then 21st July and so on.

The pay cycle runs to the Saturday before the Friday. So this means that the on 26th May, I was paid for the period 30th April to 20th May. June will be 21st May to 17th June and so on.

So when you start you'll either be paid 1 week or 4 weeks in your first pay, depending where in the pay period you join. If you join on Monday, and payday is Friday, you'll effectively work 5 weeks before being paid, but you'll get a full 4weeks pay as you'll be working all of the pay period you join. Conversely, join the week before payday you'll get a week, join the week after and you'll only get 3weeks.

Hope this helps!

Lostsoul13

The job I been accepted and advanced me to the next step is for 17.5 hours over Saturday and Sunday? Do you think they will stick to this or would they offer me more hours?

What’s part time hours? V full time?

Could I be doing 40 hrs on a part time contract?? As it’s permanent job but that’s what they stated 17.5 hrs over weekend??

Is there anytime you get a train outbound from your home city and have to stay there? Is accommodation provided? Or do you get the next train home inbound??

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
“Lodging turns”, is the normal railway terminology. Forum search might find previous discussions.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Aren't the only onboard staff who have lodging turns those who work the Sleeper trains? If it's a Host job at Swansea then I doubt you will get such turns, you do get paid overtime if you are late booking off due to delays and you get a "PNB" which is a break during your shift which you can use however you want, if you wanted to explore the town/city of the PNB location, but it depends how long the PNB is.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Yes they will stick to your contracted hours unless you make yourself available for overtime.

The only grade that lodge at GWR at the Penzance-based Sleeper hosts.

All other locations and grades, the jobs are all out and back same day.

800 Driver

The job I been accepted and advanced me to the next step is for 17.5 hours over Saturday and Sunday? Do you think they will stick to this or would they offer me more hours?

What’s part time hours? V full time?

Could I be doing 40 hrs on a part time contract?? As it’s permanent job but that’s what they stated 17.5 hrs over weekend??

Is there anytime you get a train outbound from your home city and have to stay there? Is accommodation provided? Or do you get the next train home inbound??
Get in the door and on the railway (even in the current climate) there will be ample opportunities to progress into other roles with more hours and more money. Main thing is to get in the door. After you are in, so long as you turn up on time, don't steal anything and don't do anything stupidly dangerous, you'll have a job for life.

Beamer

GWR is paid 4weekly in arrears, with the pay cycle running a week ahead of the payday.

We were paid yesterday, 26th May. So next payday is 23rd June, then 21st July and so on.

The pay cycle runs to the Saturday before the Friday. So this means that the on 26th May, I was paid for the period 30th April to 20th May. June will be 21st May to 17th June and so on.

So when you start you'll either be paid 1 week or 4 weeks in your first pay, depending where in the pay period you join. If you join on Monday, and payday is Friday, you'll effectively work 5 weeks before being paid, but you'll get a full 4weeks pay as you'll be working all of the pay period you join. Conversely, join the week before payday you'll get a week, join the week after and you'll only get 3weeks.

Hope this helps!
Hi. I start with GWR on Monday and was wondering how and when I get paid. Going by what you say, is it right that I’ll get paid every 4 weeks rather than every calendar month? Also, going by the pay dates that you listed, would I be right in saying you were paid yesterday and the next pay date will be 15th September? Cheers in advance.

Yep the next payday is indeed the 15th September, and yes its every 4 weeks, so the date you get paid will change each time

FGW_DID

Established Member
Paid every 4 weeks but you will still get a weekly payslip. MS grade only get the one payslip prior to payday.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Aren't the only onboard staff who have lodging turns those who work the Sleeper trains?
Correct,PZ sleeper hosts. No other GWR depot has lodging turns.
Sometimes initial training is undertaken away from your depot such as at Swindon,if this happens your company will arrange and pay for this together with a meal allowance.

Correct,PZ sleeper hosts. No other GWR depot has lodging turns.
Sometimes initial training is undertaken away from your depot such as at Swindon,if this happens your company will arrange and pay for this together with a meal allowance.
You don’t get the meal allowance anymore as they provide “lunch” at all training locations now, you will however be entitled to travel time and a hotel with a generous meal allowance if you don’t fancy the hotel food and qualify for the distance

Status
Not open for further replies.