• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam00086

hi all,
I have made it through to the assessment Center and have received my packs to help with the tests. I just wanted to know about the MMI, what should I expect and how long does it take? Is anyone able to give me some advice as to how to approach it. Thank you for your time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

There's bare advice on here. Just search for it on the search bar...

Daydr3am3r

Hi Liam.

Are you waiting for stage 1 assessments? If you are I would suggest focusing on the paper and pencil tests first.
Worry about the MMI after this as this is part of stage 2!

JN114

Established Member
Take it all one step at a time. One of the key skills of a train driver is not thinking ahead of yourself. You’re not at the MMI yet, forget about it until you are.

Liam00086

Hi Liam.

Are you waiting for stage 1 assessments? If you are I would suggest focusing on the paper and pencil tests first.
Worry about the MMI after this as this is part of stage 2!
That’s what I thought but when I read the information pack it says the MMI is on the same day as all the other tests

Liam00086

That’s what I thought but when I read the information pack it says the MMI is on the same day as all the other tests

I’ll shut up now I have read the email again. It says there is 4 paper tests and 3 computer tests not the MMI. I was looking through the packs they send to help you and that is where I read about the MMI but that’s obviously for stage 2

Daydr3am3r

You will sit Stage 1 assessments (pen and pencil tests) and then if successful be invited to Stage 2 (computer tests). If you are successful at the computer tests you will complete the Situational Judgement Exercise and MMI the same afternoon.

Liam00086

You will sit Stage 1 assessments (pen and pencil tests) and then if successful be invited to Stage 2 (computer tests). If you are successful at the computer tests you will complete the Situational Judgement Exercise and MMI the same afternoon.
So the paper test and computer tests are not done on the same day?

Daydr3am3r

Yeah I know the email makes reference to completing all of the tests. Not sure why they send that one out as it is misleading!!!

Stigy

Established Member
Hey I past stage one now waiting for email about stage 2 :) any help on MMI would be very welcome
Don’t overthink it. It sounds worse than it is really. The interviewer(s) are generally very nice. Expect to be ‘probed’ a lot on examples you give as its very much a tick box exercise and they need you to be detailed, but not waffle on. I see probing as a good thing, as it indicates they want you to do well (if you haven’t said enough and they leave it at that, it’s game over).

Expect them to ask yo how you felt about certain things an awful lot. As far as how long it takes, I’ve heard of people having short, 30-minute interviews and some having 90-minute ones. It doesn’t appear to mean those with short or long interviews fail.

I should add, I didn’t do mine with GWR, I did it with Freightliner, however they’re pretty generic across the board. I believe the OPC conduct GWR’s? (It was them who conduct Freightliner’s too).

Liam00086

Don’t overthink it. It sounds worse than it is really. The interviewer(s) are generally very nice. Expect to be ‘probed’ a lot on examples you give as its very much a tick box exercise and they need you to be detailed, but not waffle on. I see probing as a good thing, as it indicates they want you to do well (if you haven’t said enough and they leave it at that, it’s game over).

Expect them to ask yo how you felt about certain things an awful lot. As far as how long it takes, I’ve heard of people having short, 30-minute interviews and some having 90-minute ones. It doesn’t appear to mean those with short or long interviews fail.

I should add, I didn’t do mine with GWR, I did it with Freightliner, however they’re pretty generic across the board. I believe the OPC conduct GWR’s? (It was them who conduct Freightliner’s too).
Thank you, yes it was OPC

Liam00086

Thank you, yes it was OPC. Thank you for the messages I’ll research STAR and think of some examples of potential questions then practice them with my wife lol hopefully I’ll do ok

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The reason the email states all tests are done on the same day, is that when GWR weren't mass-recruiting, handling it all in-house and had access to the rooms at Swindon station (now the traincrew depot) they used to do it all on the same day. I did mine in September 2016, and my stage 2 was just the MMI

Liam00086

The reason the email states all tests are done on the same day, is that when GWR weren't mass-recruiting, handling it all in-house and had access to the rooms at Swindon station (now the traincrew depot) they used to do it all on the same day. I did mine in September 2016, and my stage 2 was just the MMI
Oh ok thank you for that information, that makes sense. Do you know where stage 2 is done now?

baz962

Established Member
Someone posted on the first group trainee driver's thread , that they are at Watford next week for stage two.

Liam00086

Someone posted on the first group trainee driver's thread , that they are at Watford next week for stage two.
Thank you, I guess I’ll just wait for the email to see where an md when it is

Tommy222256

I done all test on one day about 18 months ago. I then went back a couple of weeks ago for MMI but had to do SJT again because I’d already done it but it was over 6 months ago. MMI was done at GWR offices in Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.